1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Was Carragher out of order criticising Can?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by The IncREDibles, Jan 21, 2015.

1. The IncREDibles

The IncREDibles Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong i have huge respect for Carra and he is a great pundit, but I felt that his criticism was ill aimed

He's basically telling us all what we already know. No one has heralded Can as the answer to our RCB problem or hailed him as a mainstay in our defence. Can has never advertised himself as a defender either.

If anything shouldn't Rodgers be getting criticised for playing him out of position against a team that you would expect to ask questions of our RCB's ability to defend?

2. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Needs a #poll

Yes

It's a good system and Rodgers shouldn't be slated much because the benefit to us is bigger than the disadvantage

Can does have experience as a CB

3. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

He and Neville are both very good, but put it on a lot to make their views a bit harsher. I wouldn't read too much into it.

4. LuisDiazgamechanger

Carragher had scored more own goals than any defender in the premiership. <cracker>Can is still young and learning

5. saintKlopp

With Jamie, as with Neville and every other pundit, I'll watch them as entertainment but I never put much store in what they say. I prefer to make up my own mind.
    For me Can has always looked like he has quality, but like the entire team this season, it's taken its time to begin to show.

6. moreinjuredthanowen

Carragher and Neville know they have to get their names out there cos Henry is now the big name so watch then court controversy at every step

7. LFC_45

LFC_45 Active Member

He did make a clumsy tackle on hazard but even if he didn't make any contact the **** would have dived anyway

astro likes this.
  8. alexb

alexb Well-Known Member

It's funny, I've never heard him even mention how terrible Johnson and Gerrard have consistently been this season. Doesn't diss his old mates. Neville is a far better pundit to be honest.

9. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

What he says is true though. He was beaten too easily and really struggled defensively in the first half. He had a better second half but he still wasn't great in comparison to Sakho & Skrtel, which makes sense as they are centre backs and he isn't.

10. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

Yeah, he was really **** for us...

11. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

From what I saw all he criticised him for was the challenge. He wasn't really critical on him as a personal attack, only saying how he didn't have the pace to deal with Hazard at times which is true.

I think he does have pace but he has long distance pace and is a big guy so takes time to get going. Once he's at full speed he has the power to get through and you saw that during hi run through the middle a couple of times.

I don't think he got much help in the first half from Markovic but in the 2nd Markovic put in a real tint at RWB. He was actually far better defensively in tracking Hazard and even taking on Costa in a battle which he won.

12. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

Can is a great asset to our team and brings out the best in our defence.

You could argue that maybe he was not as good defensively as Skrtel and Sakho in the game against Chelsea. And sure there was the mistake which did cost us in this particular instance...

But we are a team that has always tried to play out from the back. When we played 4 at the back without Can no one really stood up. Passes from the likes of our centre backs and Johnson were wayward or non existent; infact it was regular for Skrtel just to pause, freeze up and just nudge the ball to Mignolet who was put under the presure to distribute balls to the midfield.

What Can offers is confidence, he is able to play from the back taking presure off the likes of Skrtel and Mignolet. I believe those around him (particularly Skrtel) are benefiting from this and able to play there own game better.

13. moreinjuredthanowen

yes all skertl needs do is get it to CM dropping deep if one bothers of course or pop it to either side to the two players who are actually not sacred to pass it. Can and sahko help enormously in this regard.

can improves the side in 3-4-3 formation by a big amount over toure or johnson... end of. nobody seems willing to say hey in this formation what would you like instead. carragher might say lovern i suppose.

14. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Don't listen to Carra anymore - he talks a lot of nonsense.

Criticising Can for not having pace ... in a footrace against Hazard!!

Bar the penalty incident, Can was solid throughout despite being up against quality players like Hazard and Costa.

Carra has had a couple of digs at Sakho and Can, and it doesn't surprise me. After all, he was the one who recommended Lovren to Rodgers and was bigging him up all throughout last season.

15. Wait until he moans about Skrtel, Lovren, Lucas or Lallana you'll be able to suck him off then ;)

16. Jimmy Squarefoot

Oh that'll be day <ok>

With regards to Carra, I never held him as highly as some - limited footballer. <ok>

17. I am going to attempt to ignore that comment. That's whole new level to the Flanno debate.

18. LuisDiazgamechanger

Maybe if Carra had stayed a little longer our team might conceded less goals last season, possibly won the league.:emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0170-ninja

19. Jimmy Squarefoot

Lol! Thought that might get to you!

He's a legend, no doubt - but as a footballer - he was rather limited and he was helped by having the likes of Hyypia (who was far better) next to him and Mascherano or Hamman (both were top DM's).

20. In ability he was limited, as is Flanno. But the heart, desire and passion more than make up for those limited abilities. You won't find too many players willing to throw themselves in harms way for the good of the club. These players are also the ones that fire up the team when things aren't going too well. I know you don't like local players in the side and in no way should we be looking for all eleven to be local lads in this day and age but there has to be some presence to maintain that passion and love for playing for the liverbird.