1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Warnock to Retire?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Blue Sheep, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

Just reading between the lines/speculating here a bit, especially in relation to the last comment on this article and the ones earlier in the week.

Cardiff City 'must move mountains' after Sala tragedy - Warnock http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47088899

I suppose if he’s had enough he’s had enough. Going out on a high and keeping us up would be an unbelievable end to his career but I not sure I would be able to face the slog of the Championship again with only a year on the contract.

Thoughts?

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think this Sala episode has taken its' toll on Warnock. The realities and apparent coldness of the money orientated game this has now become has hit home.

My guess is that he'd be more likely to retire if we stayed up rather than went down. I think he'd relish the challenge of managing again in the Championship whether with us or even someone else.

This Premier League stuff is not his game because of a number of factors - in the main because it's so difficult to achieve anything without massive budgets - there again, is he the right manager to handle a massive budget.

I don't think he'd want that even if he was capable of dealing with the type of players that forced Mourinho out - he certainly would never let himself be put through that. Now the Championship is another matter.

3. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

I read a piece by dalman where he said he wouldn't listen / discuss retirement with Colin, which suggests Colin raised it.
    There is no doubt Colin has been affected by this tragedy and could well steer him to retirement.
    It's interesting looking at some of the signings made and the style of football that suits them and they are not Colin type players (Reid, Murphy as examples).
    Maybe the end of the season is the time for a change. With a total overhaul of the centre of midfield needed it could be an opportune time.
    I'd thank Colin for all he has done for us in a time of need and look to the next stage of evolution. I'd welcome the change.
    We seem a bit betwixt and between at the moment and clear direction is needed.
    Said it repeatedly. We need some footballing nous on our board. Maybe a DoF role would ease him into retirement while keeping some of that wisdom in the board room.

4. irishbluebird

irishbluebird Well-Known Member

The 70-year old manager told the BBC on Monday he had thought about quitting his job "24 hours a day, seven days a week" since Sala disappeared.

"I think my heart was in it again this week. Bacuna is a player I really worked hard on, I was determined to get something like that over the line," he said.

"I think he will be a fan favourite here long after I have gone."

Reading this quote from the article it shows that Warnock has been deeply affected by the disappearance of Sala, and rightly so. I think he will stay till the end of the season because he will want to finish the job whether we go down or not. Will he retire from management then? Hard to tell. He is 70 now but football runs through his veins so he may wish to continue in some role. Time they say is a healer and time will also tell.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  5. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I don’t know, his post match comments seemed to suggest he’s back in the saddle & doing what he loves best ie manage (although I haven’t heard his press conference today.)

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

The other question of course is whether the club will want Warnock after this season.

Has he had a fair crack of the whip regarding financial support from on high, or has he made too many "blunder acquisitions"?

7. ccfcremotesupport

A bit like Dave Jones, better without money.

Problem is, that only gets you so far.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  8. ninian opinion

Let’s be frank here; he is a top championship manager and again has been found wanting.

It’s almost as if he was resigned to relegation as the season started going on about the money power of other clubs compared to City, and being up against it.

Oldsparkey and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

It's called getting your excuses in early.

I can't help liking the guy but I like my club more.

10. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

An easy out if the club feel NW has taken us as far as he can and NW wants to call it a day. I wouldn’t be too surprised if that scenario played out in the near future.
    A role as director of football isn’t a position I think NW would enjoy. If he retires, then off to the south coast and his tractor. Should that happen we should look for a young thruster in the mould of OGS at Man Utd...

11. ccfcremotesupport

Been there before taff.....:emoticon-0138-think

12. taffthefish

I think there is an interesting debate to be had about the quality of a manger. So thought I’d throw this out there.

13. ccfcremotesupport

its a good point taff. I'd be happy with a young forward thinking manager.
    Also think OGS is in a more fortuitous position than when he last managed in the big league.

14. ninian opinion

Not on your life!

15. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

How about Eddie Howe as a future City manager? Has done a tremendous job at Bournemouth and has grown with it. If Warnock and the lads can battle for the remainder of the season and preserve our place in the Prem then he could be the one to establish City's place in this league over the next few seasons.

16. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

No chance.

17. taffthefish

OGS left Cardiff under a cloud with his reputation tarnished. He was the latest up and coming manager who was going to hit the highest levels. His experience in Cardiff meant he went back to Norway and possibly the managerial wilderness for a few years or longer. He was plucked from obscurity again by his old club and for the moment is enjoying his new found success in the higher echelons of the football pyramid. However, my question is, is he a great manager in the making of just lucky?
    His time with Manchester Utd as a player, and as coach to the reserve team, meant he would surely return as first team manager at some point. His time with Molde was relatively successful and he has a long time connection to the club, in fact he's still their first team coach and is only on loan to Man Utd. Whether that remains to be the case, we'll find out soon enough. Molde have apparently told him not to go back there. This was, of course, wishing him every success not showing dismay.
    His success at Molde and current success with Man Utd point to him being a good, if not great, manager. The anomaly that is Cardiff City, a blot on his CV sandwiched in the middle seems largely forgotten.
    Whilst with the Bluebirds he tinkered with the side, brought in a few unknown Norwegians and seemed, at times, tactically inept.

Did his time with the Bluebirds come too soon? I think the answer is a resounding yes. He came into a club in turmoil and was too inexperienced to deal with everything going on off the pitch.

Was our squad that poor no one could save them? I thought the squad was good enough to stay up, but OGS wasn't the man for the job at that time.

Should he have been given more time? I believe he should have been given more time, but I think off the field pressure meant we needed a different kind of management...

Eddie Howe would be a sound choice as our manager, but he doesn't travel well. Apparently he missed Bournemouth too much to stay at Burnley. I doubt he'd come to Cardiff.
    He has been given time as manager of Bournemouth, I am not sure he'd be given the same amount of time anywhere else. Tis a bit scary when we think of a long term job as six years! Although, he has been immensely successful, given the size of the club. Like Solskjaer he's still young and could step up to a bigger side in time.

If NW decides to retire who are the likely replacements? Bellamy was mooted as being a successor but it may be too soon for him. Is there any ex-Bluebirds player out there that fits the bill who would get the full support of the fan base? Ledley? (tongue firmly in cheek :D )

18. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

I think Howe's sights will be set a bit higher than Cardiff. There is fans' talk of him going to Tottenham when Poch eventually goes and other large southern clubs could come knocking as well.

Listening to the phone in on the way home from our game, Everton fans would take him yesterday.

However any travel to work plans are probably limited by the M4/M25.

He might also be a candidate for England eventually.

I thought Bellers could be the man especially if Warnock took him under his wing for a couple of years but whatever happens with his investigation that is unlikely now.

Beyond him I have no other suggestions. Whoever it us will need Warnock's skill of getting into the psyche of the club, players and fans.

19. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

We should stay with tried and tested for awhile. This team is a long way away from being a consistent premiership club.

20. ccfcremotesupport

BluefromBridgend likes this.