1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ward - No better than a squad player

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BluefromBridgend, Oct 30, 2017.

1. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

No real pace, will always struggle against big centre backs, easily knocked off the ball.

Tries very hard, looks to have a good touch and has an eye for goal when given time and space but not really suited to the way we play.

The jury is still out on Bogle but he seemed to have a bit more about him when he appeared on Saturday. Ward could be more effective in a 4 4 2 but we rarely play that way now.

If Ken still not fit tomorrow as Warnock indicates may be the case then who will start?

Discuss.

2. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Ward had 2 chances v Millwall. Hit the target on both occasions but foiled by good saves. Had one of those gone in we’d be eulogising over him.

What chance does he get with high balls pumped up to him? He’s got to be given the ball in channels but without a creative passer on central midfield it’s not going to happen.

I’ll judge him when he’s played to his strengths.

3. BluefromBridgend

Agreed on that about high balls Nin and then we weren't picking up the second ball but I just feel he's a bit lightweight and our style may not suit him.

4. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

If Zohore is absent as seems likely then Ward starts.

Back to Bamba and Morrison as centre backs and bring in Tomlin and Damour.

Id leave out Manga and Bryson.

If Bennett is fit id also drop Peltier for Patterson.

Sayer77 and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  5. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ward is an asset at the club with the right attitude but maybe without the ultimate skills. He's always up for the fight and runs himself into the ground - reminds me a bit of Dirk Kuyt.

How many times have we heard that goals change games. There's always a goal in Ward and he's been very unlucky firstly not to get the pitch time he needs, and secondly with goal efforts on the few times he has been on there. His goal to earn a point at Fulham at the death was worthy of a start rather than waiting for Zohore to be injured.

On the back four/five point I agree with four being the answer. I'd never play Peltier on the left unless desperate. Paterson at right back will provide the attacking option that Peltier doesn't offer - just hope Bennett is fit. What's happened to Jazz?

6. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Jazz has a similar ankle injury to Harris. Long term injury.

7. whiffletree

whiffletree Well-Known Member

Ethel
    Bennett Bamba. Morro Patterson
    Gunnar/D'amour. Ralls
    NML. Tomlin. Junior
    Ward/Bogle

Got to be, surely????

8. BluefromBridgend

Ralls has and can play left back. Why not if Bennett is out?

That opens the way for Damour, Bryson and Tomlin in the middle with Bamba alongside Morro at the back and Patterson a must to start. The only risk with him in a back 4 is a possible lack of cover in the space behind him when he goes marauding.

I hear what you are saying about Ward but I think Bogle could get a start if Ken is still not fit. He looked sharp and up for it when he came on and carries more physical strength and height.

Many of the above changes are unlikely as Colin would not be that radical. Yes, Patterson will start and I hope he finds room for Tomlin as Ward can benefit from balls slid into the channels along the ground rather than a continuous stream of up and unders.

9. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agree - Tomlin and Ward together would put a completely new slant on our attacking ability - I think that combo is worth a try.

10. ninian opinion

I’d be surprised if he dropped Peltier or Ralls

I’d go assuming Gunner & Zahore are out:

Etheridge
    Bennett Morrison Bamba Patterson
    NML Damour Ralls Tomlin Hoilett
    Ward

I’m hoping if our strikers dry up even further NW will be looking to bring in a striker in January. I was unimpressed by Bogles 30 minutes v Millwall.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017

11. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Interesting that he goes with Tomlin then plays Bogle. Tough on Ward.

12. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on his performance tonight Nin? Admittedly I thought Ipswich were poor but I thought Boogle looked lively, willing to run and decent at holding the ball up. Unfortunately missed Wards showing on Saturday and his goal tonight <laugh>

Tomlin has flair but doesn't look fit - more likely to collapse rather than last 90. Can't see him starting away at the Wurzels.

13. BluefromBridgend

Bogle did okay tonight. More physical presence than Ward. Should have scored a second after a superb run and cross. ML I think.

Glad Ward got his goal after a howler of a miss.

Overall good performance. Morrison, Bamba, Hoilett and ML excellent. Ralls had a better game too. Patterson gave more encouragement but not fully match fit yet.

Tomlin also not fully fit but gave signs of what he is capable of - if still at liberty later this week.

Peltier - please make him stay in his own half. Once past halfway he loses track of time and motion. <yikes>

14. ninian opinion

As underwhelmed as I was with him v Millwall, I was overwhelmed by an excellent display by Bogle last night. 3 shots, 2 well saved and 1 goal plus good hold up play.

Delighted for Ward to get his goal as well.

Tomlin’s part in the game including his outrageous back heel in the build up to the 2nd was what we’ve been missing in central midfield.

BluefromBridgend likes this.