1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

WAR! What is it good for?

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Treble, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

the rest of the fleet and it's aircraft are it's physical means of defence. As to arrestor hooks, it's old tech for old planes, it's not the 1970's any more. Aircraft carriers are the most important part of the fleet, as air superiority has been the doctrine since WW2, frigates and destroyers can't give you that.

2. Solid Air 2

Solid Air 2 Well-Known Member

with arrester hooks we could have used the cheaper carrier version of the F35 with greater range .I struggle to think of the scenario that they will be of much value/

3. brb

brb CR250

I've removed your post Abe, stop posting that shhite on this forum.

If people have an opinion on something, then write it, I've got no problem with that, but randomly posting stuff that's been lifted from twitter and reported to Met Police as well as being regarded as antisemtic, well I shouldn't have to be moderating stuff like that, I'd have thought it's commonsense. If you want that type of forum then go find it, because it's not here. You seem to want to post this nonsense on most threads, well I'm not going to allow it, even if 'it's only a cartoon'.

Thread ban.

Treble and Welshie like this.
  4. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

BobbyD likes this.
  5. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

Can only imagine the level of fear he must have felt there.

This Ukrainian war is the latest war that old tactics have met modern technology. Happens time and again.

Russian tanks blown up in their hundreds, soldiers chased by drones.

Its mad to witness

Sucky and brb like this.
  6. Nilk

Nilk Well-Known Member

It's horrible, but is it worse than someone running a sword through your stomach, taking an arrow to the eye, having mustard gas released next to you? Being hit by shrapnel, or being on a burning sinking ship?

War sucks, has always sucked, and will probably always suck.

PISKIE likes this.
  7. Welshie

I'd rather have a sword fight and lose, than have a little buzzing robot follow me around without a single method to defend myself

8. Nilk

Nilk Well-Known Member

Can they not be shot, seems like there are defences... although, once they get close like that, probably not?
    Will soldiers start carrying around sprinkly confettii balloons to blind drones? Signal Jammers, EMP guns?

Presumably it's a quicker death to be blown up than have a sword run through your intestine... all horrible either way, hard to pick what's worse. Is there a best way to die horribly?

9. Welshie

Apparently you lot are developing some form of defence system ... I say you lot, I believe you're American <laugh> not sure if it's true

10. Nilk

Nilk Well-Known Member

If you believe the people on here I'm American, I absolutely do not identify as American though. <laugh>
    I live in US, have lived in US for a long time- but I'm born and raised English (although majority of my relatives are from Europe not England)...

brb and Welshie like this.

11. brb

brb CR250

*British

:bandit:

12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

My first thought when I saw that video is how it sterlises war. We'll get to a point where we'll no longer need to be face to face in combat and that imo makes the decision of starting and continuing a war much easier.

Those who go through the horror of war - witnessing the death, injury, and destruction around them, at least have some appreciation of the reality of it, rather than watching it on a screen. I'm guessing the bloke operating that drone only saw up to the point the device detonated, not beyond it.

It's like most of the problems with modern technology. It dehumanises everything. Whether it's car parking tickets, buying your shopping online, working remotely through Teams. This is just an extension of that.

So to reply to your post I'd say it's nowhere near as horrific as running someone through with a sword or a bayonet or cutting them in half pulling the trigger of a machine gun. These are far more horrific - for the perpetrator as much as the victim. And tbh that's the way it should be. The more horrific, the less likely we'll want to go head first into it.

PISKIE likes this.
  13. Welshie

Think about this tho man, a fella was controlling that drone with a camera chasing that fella.

Jesus, Id not sleep after that.

PISKIE and Treble like this.
  14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh fck doing any of that tbh. But how much easier did it make it for him to do it without having to think about it?

And even when he did it, his camera only showed him up to the point it detonated. After that point his camera exploded with the device.

Welshie likes this.
  15. Welshie

Probably with a captain or a senior officer behind him going "YES NICE ONE" as they do in the military to encourage and dehumanize

Treble likes this.
  16. PISKIE

PISKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think the thing in war though, is that people are trained to simply see them as enemy targets. If you don't kill him, he'll kill you (or one of your friends or family)

It's often only after service that a lot of veterans come to terms with the guilt of killing other people

A friend of mine was in the first gulf war, in the tank regiment. He as assigned a operation to take out snipers in a building that were shooting at British forces. At the time he said he wanted them all dead and firing those shells into that building he knew that it would keep his mates from taking a bullet. It was only after he left the forces that he began to have nightmares about the dead bodies he saw, bodies of people that he killed. That let to full blown PTSD and years of guilt about it all.

17. brb

brb CR250

I think we've carried out more strikes on Yemen tonight.

Edit: might be Iraq actually.

18. Sucky

Lovely

19. Sucky

I mean is that legal?

No vote on it, no cross party discussions, just rishi dropping bombs like Wtf?

Archers Road likes this.
  20. brb

brb CR250

I don't know, go and ask twitter where you get most your info from.

please log in to view this image