1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

WAR! What is it good for?

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Treble, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I've not listened to much on it, but I did hear some spokesman saying they didn't want to risk debris causing injury. But I get your point about those areas being sparse. They should be looking to bring it down some other way to analyse it, if they haven't already. I think we all know it's not a weather balloon.

Prince Knut likes this.
  2. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

The fact that it is solar-powered and has steering apparatus would tend to indicate that it didn't just appear overhead from a major US Air Force ballistic missile site by accident. They keep saying that it can't pick up anything their satellites couldn't, but perhaps - and I don't know why - they need to know something about the atmospherics prevalent in the area. Maybe the US can electronically blanket the area from satellites, but they can't from high-altitude balloons, hence why you can't fly civilian craft over these sites?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Treble likes this.
  3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

<ok>

If that's the case, it's fcking bold from the Chinese, I'll give them that.

Diego and Prince Knut like this.
  4. Prince Knut

As an afterthought, as you may remember, I'm a bit of an Apollo nut. Many, many launches of rockets have been cancelled and postponed during bad weather, particularly thunderstorms (see Apollo 12), or should have been. Indeed, the Challenger disaster in 1986 was primarily down to frozen joints (In Florida!) in the rocket connectors. I wonder if a) they're checking the atmospherics for that reason, and b) they have weather-changing technology they've developed and they're seeing if the area is suitable?

I agree with you though, this is no accident.

Diego likes this.
  5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I watched a docudrama about Challenger. Forget the name of the company but remember the term "O rings" which wouldn't function below a certain temperature. However under pressure to make the launch happen then skewed the data and people died.

You've lost me a bit here though - why do they need to check the atmospherics there, bcos they think the U.S. has developed weather changing tech? For rocket launches?

Prince Knut likes this.
  6. Prince Knut

I'm suspecting that even ICBMs can't be launched in all weather conditions - I know they're in silos and weather protected, but launching in a storm could be tricky. What if the Chinese have weather-changing devices? What if the US have weather -maintaining devices? I really am guessing here! <doh>

Apollo 12 was launched in a thunderstorm btw, and they didn't know until it got back whether the chutes would open. Lost all instrumentation at a really critical moment just after launch. Luckily, the LMP, Alan bean, remembered a procedure to reset it. Point is, if a rocket, aircraft or suchlike packed with electronic gear is hit by lightning at launch or shortly after it is very, very vulnerable to experience navigational malfunction - what better way to disable your opponent's ICBMs by hitting them God-like with thunderbolts? Science fiction? Possibly. :emoticon-0143-smirk

Treble likes this.
  7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

That's cool af <laugh>

Tbh none of that would be surprising. The way military tech has progressed - you think back to precision bombs, stealth bombers, drone missiles, anything's possible and within a few years ppl will just think it the norm.... once it comes out into the public domain of course.

The thing is, will it make the world a safer place or a more dangerous one?

Prince Knut likes this.
  8. Prince Knut

That the one where John Hurt played the late, great, amazing, fantastic Richard Feynman? Joanne Whalley was in it too?

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I can't remember. All I can recall is them sitting in a meeting room over two days arguing the toss <laugh>

Prince Knut likes this.
  10. Prince Knut

Think I told you/bragged that I met Tom Stafford, Commander of Apollo X, at a lecture in Pontefract back in 2016. He was a late replacement for gene Cernan. Apart from being an astronaut, he was actually a leading engineer behind stealth technology and drones, and I mean advisor to presidents and so forth. He was telling us about all the work he'd done at Edwards Airbase and Area 51 in his amazing lifetime, especially testing experimental craft (after they got rid of all the dead aliens, he jested ?).

Anyway, and I think this lecture was on still on YouTube recently on spacelectures at Pontefract, the main thing I remember from a simply brilliant talk was that he ended by saying that he'd take to his grave some of the technology that has been developed there, and even some of the children at the event would probably never live to see some of the advances they had made there in their lifetimes, unless they pretended they were discovered elsewhere.

I dunno, he just seems ramrod straight and not prone to spoofing and exaggeration.

Treble likes this.

11. Prince Knut

Think it's the one where Feynman clamped a rubber ring in an iced-filled glass to demonstrate how it would crack and contract. Brilliant, brilliant man.

Treble likes this.
  12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

That was it, I remember <ok>

Prince Knut likes this.
  13. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

The US has shot down a suspected Chinese spy balloon that has flown across America in the past week.

Three airports were closed and airspace was shut down off the South Carolina coast as US military planes targeted the object over the Atlantic Ocean.

According to the AP news agency, footage showed the balloon falling to the sea after a small explosion.

US President Joe Biden faced intense pressure to shoot it down since it first appeared across the US last week.

Tracking website Flightradar24 showed US Air Force and Coastguard aircraft operating in the skies between Wilmington, North Carolina, and Myrtle Beach.

The coast guard had also advised mariners to leave the area due to military operations "that present a significant hazard," the Associated Press reports.

The news agency, quoting unnamed officials, said President Biden had given the go ahead to bring the balloon down over the Atlantic Ocean, where debris can be retrieved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64524105

14. Saf

We continue to lead from the front. Nice to see <applause>

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky will arrive in the UK today, in his first visit since Russia's invasion of Ukraine last year.

The UK government said he would meet British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and make a speech in Parliament later.

It has also announced that British training of Ukrainian forces will be expanded to cover fighter jet pilots and marines.

It's also expected the UK will announce fresh sanctions targeting Russia later.

Plans have been announced to train Ukrainian pilots to fly Nato-standard fighter jets in the future, a key request from Ukraine.

The expansion of the UK's training programme signals a shift, after the UK said it was "not practical" for it to send its aircraft to Ukraine.

Last week, Mr Sunak's spokesman told reporters that British military jets were "extremely sophisticated and take months to learn how to fly".

The UK has already announced plans to send Challenger 2 tanks to Ukraine, with Ukrainian troops receiving training in how to operate them.

No 10 said Mr Sunak would be offering to provide Ukraine with "longer range capabilities" to disrupt Russia's ability to target Ukraine's critical national infrastructure.

It added that British training would be scaled up this year, with a further 20,000 Ukrainian soldiers set to be trained.

What support has the UK given Ukraine?

Since Russia invaded in February last year, the UK has spent £2.3bn on military assistance, making the country the second biggest donor behind the US. The government has said it plans to match this spending again this year.

The UK has also imposed a series of financial sanctions on Russia and taken over 100,000 Ukrainian refugees.

Military equipment provided so far includes:

• Several air defence systems, including Starstreak, designed to bring down low-flying aircraft at short range.
    • Challenger 2 tanks
    • Artillery including 30 AS90 self propelled artillery guns
    • Hundreds of thousands of rounds of 155mm ammo
    • M270 multiple-launch rocket systems with M31A1 precision munitions
    • Next-generation light anti-tank weapons, or Nlaw
    • Maritime Brimstone missiles
    • Armoured vehicles, including Mastiff patrol vehicles
    • Heavy lift unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) systems to provide logistical support to isolated force
    • Electronic warfare equipment
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64566248

brb likes this.
  15. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Great to know that when the whole world goes up in flames, the U.K. will have supplied at least some of the petrol. Or maybe the matches. Which probably won’t work. Because they were made in China.

aberdude likes this.
  16. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Anyway, good to know that, even if we can’t give nurses a payrise, we can send billions of pounds worth of military hardware to a war zone on the other side of Europe.

aberdude likes this.
  17. Saf

Without a hint of irony, Labour are calling for Putin to stand trial at the Hague.

RemarkableFrequentGalago-max-1mb.gif

Diego likes this.
  18. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

But what about Tony Blair <laugh>

Archers Road likes this.
  19. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

Sabbatean frankists.....love war because its good for business.....playing the divide game like a fiddler on a roof

20. brb

brb CR250

I love the way Sunak's spokesperson said it takes months to learn to fly the jets, that's an understatement for sure, our very top of the range jet could at the longest period 10 years to learn to fly.

They have to progress through the stages of various craft, I think the shortest span was something like a couple of years on something less sophisticated.

When you think of the value of these jets, the last thing anyone wants is someone flying it that's any sort of risk and ends up ditching millions of pounds worth of kit in a flash.

The problem then before the jets is the tanks that we give them, needed to be supported by the air, because Russia does not have the know how of the technology behind out tanks, so them getting their hands on one of them, would serve as win to them.

I know Zelensky wants them now, but he knows that can't happen and by the time his men are trained, we could be at a completely different stage of the war and dragged into it.