1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Walsall v Gillingham

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by grumpygit, Aug 17, 2018.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I've already alluded to the similar styles of both teams in the prediction thread, this will mean a strong defence is critical if we are to get a win. I've been watching the extended highlights on iFollow (10 minutes) and there were more defensive wobbles than I remember, it's important that we don't concede easy possession in dangerous areas.

Just for information in case some aren't aware:-
    There are 10 minutes of highlights on iFollow free of charge, you need to register and select the free option.
    Accrington, Burton and Millwall are all available at the moment, anything with a padlock are subscription, anything without are free to view.

brb likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

I been cursing you mate <laugh>

I used to have subscription but gave it up 3 or 4 years ago, but i don't think it was called ifollow back then. So i saw your thread and thought oh why not if it's free, hmmm...

Apart from it took we ages to get signed in after i registered, it kept referring me back to my registration details, so i left it last night and tried again this morning. Eventually as i had not had a confirmation email saying i had registered, i thought let's see if they know my email address and sent off for a password reset. True enough they did, it linked me, so i reset the password, although i know my original was fine and it let me in....well sort of...it still kept referring me back to the registration page, but i got there in the end.

So what was the first video i watched, the Wall penalties...Parker <laugh><laugh><laugh> now i know why @The Gills PegLeg was laughing!

grumpygit likes this.
  3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

4. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Thanks grumpygit.
    It's a bit early in the day to be p'd off - although I could have managed that if I waso one of the 12 who had booked with the Club to travel to Walsall - only to be told by Peter Lloyd that GFC have not given him their names on the passenger list !

5. brb

brb CR250

I think it's a good idea as long has it is helping out local kids or people less fortunate than ourselves. I think i would like 'charities' defined a bit more - but i'm satisfied that any tickets allocated will be subject to disclosure of the bodies (as in organisations/schools etc) that they went to.

6. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

( 'on thread' ) - the result was fair. Gills created enough chances to have got a point - but - that would have been unfair on Walsall. They moved a lot quicker than Gills, and supporting colleagues moved into spaces to receive the ball -- much better than we didn't ! Also Walsall 'closed' us down a damned site better than we managed - Ferrier was allowed to have so much time and space - the only surprise is that he only got one goal.

I was surprised that Lovell took off Bingham - who I thought had a good game ---- much better than Parker ( Gills fans around me were in disbelief that he remained on fo the whole game.) Also Hanlan- tried had - but wasn't given the best of service to display his talents.

However - we did show the sort of signs that still suggest that we shouldn't need to be struggling against relegation - although we might practise who should be taking corners (( hint - it shouldn't be a centre forward ))

grumpygit likes this.
  7. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I've had enough time to calm down a little and offer a more considered verdict on the match.

Playing with such a narrow midfield (diamond) left our flanks hopelessly exposed, why didn't SL see the trouble we were having and change things?
    Ferrier must have terrible body odour, it's the only thing I can think of for Ehmer to stand 2 yards off him.
    Ehmer wasn't alone, Osbourne also found lots of space on the edge of the box, I assume the defence were enthralled by O'neill's ballet moves.

Walsall play a similar style to ourselves, they just executed it better, we seemed unable to pass, cross, play through midfield or decide what to do next.
    People take the last 20 minutes as a positive, or that Wilkinson coming on made a difference, "NO" what made a difference is that Walsall took their foot off the gas, suddenly we had space to play, just a shame we couldn't find that space for ourselves and not relied on Walsall giving us space.
    Bring on Sunderland and lets go again, I just hope if we continue to struggle against the better teams SL will try something or someone new, Stevenson looked good against Millwall, Navid has waited patiently in the wings having only seen 2 starts and scored 1 goal.

I started the season hoping for mid-table finish, maybe the early results made me get carried away.

alwaysright and brb like this.