1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Walsall v Charlton Ath

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

A gills fan last week was telling me that their keeper was worth 4mill- then proceeded to let make 2 howlers v Rochdale at the weekend <whistle>

Although, the same guy also told me they'd beat Rochdale and Pennock would last the season <laugh><laugh>

2. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Phillips should have started the season as our number 1. We went through pre season with him and it would have been a more settled back 5.

3. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Fair enough, I concede you did not claim that Ben Amos is the best keeper in this division, or that Charlton can get automatic promotion while conceding 1.4 goals on average per game.

I suppose the fairest way to measure how good a goalkeeper is would be to compare the goals he concedes to the number of shots on target that he saves.
    Whoever has the highest proportion of shots saved against goals conceded could be judged the best keeper.

I'll do a little research later and see if I can gather that information on all the first XI goalkeepers in League One.
    One problem however is that not all shots on target are saved by the keeper. Some may be blocked by other players.

I am pretty sure Charlton will not win automatic promotion conceding 1.4 goals per game on average, whether that be down to a poor defence or goalkeeping errors or a combination of both. One way or another that leakage of goals has to be addressed.
    Hoping for a play-off place is selling ourselves way too short in my opinion, considering the resources we should have available compared to many of our opponents.

4. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

It’s hard to measure a GK’s success - unfortunately the easiest (and harshest) way is by how many points they cause the team to drop.

I think Tom Heaton had the best save to shot ratio in the PL last season, but he’s nowhere near the best.

Who would want to be a goalkeeper?

5. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Amos is a decent enough shot-stopper, his weakness is with crosses, something which doesn't get into the stats. When we played Gills their goalie had a blinder according to the stats on shots saved, and he got into team of the week on that basis, what the stats didn't show was that our shots were weak, and mostly straight at him. Stats don't show distribution either, or how vocal a goalie is in organising his defenders, so the best way to judge a goalie is by watching him!

6. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

I was impressed with the Gills keeper, he was a real man mountain.

7. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

For distribution see Hamer. For organising your defense see Pope,

8. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

Yes but he made two howlers in last Gills game. How many times have you seen him?

9. User deleted as requested

Once, naturally. I can only comment on the performance I saw from him, he was good against us. He is a big unit, a good communicator and commanded his area well. Lets see who goes on to have the better career, Holy or Ben Amos.

10. User deleted as requested

For consistency see Bolder, for reflexes see Kiely.

For being sh1t, see Thuram.

ForestHillBilly likes this.