1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wales v Ireland (Nations League)

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by PGFWhite, Sep 4, 2018.

1. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

Didn’t see the match as I was working, but have since seen the goals & have read the glowing reports of the team.

Have to say the talent in the squad now, is scary. Thought when Gary Speed started to make our young team click, back then in 2011, I felt the tournament qualification hoodoo was going to end sometime soon. But now, with this amazing talent & flare, mixed with, not just experienced players, but quality experienced players, like Ramsey, Allen, Bale & Davies etc, it’s possible qualifying could become a regular thing, rather than a once in a lifetime rarity.
    We’ve had many occasions, when we’ve had a top-class player, or even world class, but never enough talent to support that individual. Now, if some of these youngsters develop further at club level, we could become an international side that includes a couple of world-class players on the pitch at any one time, with as much as 5 or 6 top performing technical players to supplement. There’s still a few years left in the likes of Ramsey, Allen & Bale too. Also, look at the bench last night, most were regulars that took us to the semi-final. With Gigg’s influence already so apparent, how far can Wales go??

I desperately hope we qualify for Euro 2020. As I think, if we do, we could be the surprise team again, a la 2016.
    Then who knows, if we could achieve the ‘holy grail‘, a World Cup. This team will be 4 years more experienced, could we do an ‘England 2018’....

Dare to believe.

2. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Haha England played 7 games at the World Cup if I'm correct......
    3 wins, 1 draw and 3 defeats.........
    I want better than that. If it was points, they took 10 points from 21 possible.... not so good.

daimungeezer and DragonPhilljack like this.
  3. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

“What’s the score Keano”?.......................<laugh>

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  4. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

and yet they were talking about Southgate being knighted, it is a joke, when they come up against anyone talented they lost or drew. I hope to **** Spain spank them and give them a reality check.

5. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Made my night out here in Crete.................<laugh>

6. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Absolute BS <laugh>

7. swanseaandproud

Conner Roberts was one of the stars last night and should be very proud just like Giggs and his club boss are, He has a great future to look forward to i have no doubt......Another newcomer with Ampadu was very impressive also and the whole team has a good mixture of old and young that gives us a better chance of qualification in tournaments.....

8. swans-m

swans-m Well-Known Member

Just read that Roberts contract runs out at the end of the season. Really hoping we tie him down for the next 4 years or so, got great potential.

9. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

......got great potential as already noticed by a few Premier League clubs. It could be a nervy January.

swanseaandproud likes this.
  10. swanseaandproud

This is where we have to get these players on a contract quick and make sure they stay at the club......There is nothing worse than investing time and money in a youngster only for another club to reap the benefits......I hope this new start takes this into account.....

11. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

All very well, but how much money will he be offered on a new contract ?
    If the owners are to pay him within what they see as a realistic wage structure, then he’ll be offered more money in most other places. It’s very hard to keep players when they can earn more elsewhere.

12. swanseaandproud

No more than £15k a week to start with and even that is obscene gradually rising depending how he does.....He gets money from WFA as well and he will get win bonuses from both......That is good money....

13. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Obviously that sort of money is obscene - that's football right now.
    Good money is not the problem for us - the problem is that BETTER money is elsewhere, especially as we are no longer in the PL. Even a relegation threatened team in the PL is a step up from us now - not just the 'big' clubs.

daimungeezer likes this.
  14. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

It's not just the fact he can earn more elsewhere, if they can make a tidy profit and sell him they will. The reality is that any players that break through and are targets for "bigger" clubs will be sold at the drop of a hat, especially if we're in no danger of relegation.

The vultures have no interest in any ambition, as was brazenly demonstrated by the last window. There's only one "interest" they have and it's not the club's or the fans'. They're not even clever businessmen, as just a tiny bit of support for Potter's ambition (for the team) could have seen us genuine promotion contenders, which would have been to their own advantage <doh>

15. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Also, if he is nearly out of contract and pretty good, will he rush to sign a new contract at this point? If he is in any sort of demand, will he not be better off as a free agent?

Stereo likes this.
  16. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

The insanity is that I could imagine us winning promotion, and then selling our best players before the new season starts.

17. swanseaandproud

Wont happen if we need them.