1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wage Policy

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Given the fact that top earner Arter has now gone (£40K/week) with Manga now suggested to have taken on that title (£28K/week), what do you think we should be prepared to shell out for the right players now we're back in the Championship?

Is it realistic to expect a table-topping season keeping the same structure, or should we push the boat out a bit more? Can we attract the right players, buy or loan (this is a mercenary game!) with comparatively low wages when compared with Villa for instance last season. Tammy Abraham on loan on a reported £55K/wk, and at least another half dozen players already on their books earning £40K or more.

Throwing money at it isn't necessarily the answer as others have found out but should we be more realistic or just rely on the "Warnock Magic" to do it again?

swanseaandproud and clingo like this.
  2. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Excellent questions sparkey. If I'm honest, I find it all too hard to form a firm opinion. So many considerations - expectations of the fans; financial stability; bringing players through the youth team; understanding the other competitors; keeping up morale and so it goes on. I guess it depends on what we're aiming for, a quick return or the start of a complete new ethos, but either way, i it's not easy to figure out. I guess that's why I'd be rubbish at owning or running a club. I suppose we have to stick to a budget and hope it works. Not a brilliant contribution I'm afraid.

DaiJones and Oldsparkey like this.
  3. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Cheers clingo - just trying to keep the from ticking over.

It is a serious question though, and one we'll find out the answer to over the next couple of months. <ok>

4. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

It's a great question sparkey and really puts a new perspective on what we've been talking about regarding the direction of the club. It genuinely had me scratching my head and I suppose gave me a better appreciation of all that has to be considered. As you alluded to, Vincent will have the final say and I hope he gets good counsel along the way. Personally, I'd love another go in the top flight because something continues to nag me and that's how come Bournemouth can do it given their size? That said, I suppose they've already been through the direction finding phase.

To think I once thought Bolton were a model for us to aspire to! <yikes>

swanseaandproud likes this.
  5. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

It's a tightrope that needs to be walked.
    We need a wage structure but it needs to allow us to attract appropriate talent.
    With Warnock able to wring the best out of "average players", they are probably on salaries other clubs wouldn't pay for them anyway. However, if we are competing for signatures the salary will need to be higher.
    That might add tension within the squad if there is a big disparity between the top and bottom earners.
    I'd rather live within our means, but need to afford some quality.

I don't know the answer.:emoticon-0145-shake

Who would be a manager?<yikes>

swanseaandproud and clingo like this.
  6. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Can’t get my head around a footballer being worth 40k a week let alone the bigger money. Although I subscribe to Sky Sports, I always feel they are not getting my hard earned cash directly by paying at the gate! Foolish money, but good if you can get a lick I suppose, just like a titty! :emoticon-0103-cool:

clingo likes this.
  7. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

I think we should make the cap a bit bigger, not silly money but we need to compete.

I think our full squad is too big, there are many who will not get a game time to get rid there will be money available.

clingo likes this.
  8. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

9. Jay-Rede

We have to look at our promotion season. Our top scorer was bought in as a fullback (granted, he's a utility player).

Top scorers, Cardiff City, Championship, 2017/2018 season:

Callum Paterson (Right back / Utility player) - 10
    Junior Hoilett (Winger) - 9
    Ken Zohore (Striker) - 9
    Sean Morrison (Centre back) - 7
    Joe Ralls (Midfielder) - 7

We had a pretty cracking season in fairness with some great players who worked exceptionally hard for the manager and I truly believe that the 2018/19 season would have been different if we had decent refs.

We have been crying out for a goalscorer for a few years now. A 15 - 20 goal a season striker. That's what we are lacking. We cannot be relying on the Paters, or the Morro's to bag the goals. If we fork out on a proven scorer, we can do well in this division.

10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Hence the OP Jay - just how much will that cost and are we going to get it sanctioned on wages demanded by such a player even if just a loanee?

I also think the midfield needs as much spent on it, if not more.

Jay-Rede likes this.

11. Jay-Rede

I agree mate. I think a reshuffle is in order... and i DO think Mr Tan needs to loosen his grip on the purse strings a bit. If he wants to start making money from the club, he has to invest in the squad and make them contenders for the big time.

12. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Agree with Sparks. Good strikers rarely create most of their chances. Okay there are exceptions, Messi, Ronaldo, Bale at his best, but in the main they need a good central midfielder and good wide players to set them up. Look at Sterling's goals, the majority in or around the 6 yard box, put on a plate by others.

We have the wingers but need someone creative to orchestrate the middle of the park. Then we can use a good striker, a fox in the box who need not be all things to all men as have been all our strikers since Chopra.

swanseaandproud and Oldsparkey like this.
  13. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

the last time we went up our top scorer had 10.
    Whenever we've had a 20 goal a season, we've not even made the playoffs.

This season was a bit odd in that there were so many scored 20.
    WBA had 2 scorers get over 20 and they didn't go up.
    Swans, Brentford, Brum, Hull, all had 20 goal strikers, no promotion.

Last year, wolves top scorer had 17, us 10, Fulham 15. 2 strikers had 20+, Vydra for derby and grabban for 2 clubs.

Agree we need someone scoring more than 10, but better to spread it around rather than put all eggs in one basket.

14. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Players of the right quality will come at a price unless we gamble on someone from a lower league who has established a good record at that level.

But with that comes the risk that their skills are not good enough for the top of the Championship, e.g. Ward, Healey. Apart from Pato our best strikers of recent years have effectively been players with good track records but on their way down, Kenwynne Jones, Miller, Helguson with the latter 2 not even getting 10 goals.

To me, if we want to perform at a higher level, VT and the infamous transfer committere need to set their sights higher and avoid the Madines, Tomlins etc. That will need a greater outlay of cash. Unfortunately Warnock does not have a good track record in that area.

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I agree with this totally. Warnock sets a high level of work rate and effort as one of his required attributes in players. Whilst that's a decent approach elsewhere on the pitch, an effective striker doesn't need to be in the same mould - they can be a different animal.

Chopra as mentioned was one, and players like Greaves, Van Nistelrooy, Sniffer Clarke and Pop Robson from the past didn't run all over the pitch, but they had the knack of scoring in spades. That's what we need but at what price? - it all comes down to money again.

16. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Good question OS and concur with the suggestion it’s all about balance and relying on NW’s know how but one factor that I really hope will be a reality in years to come is the development of players from the academy with their wages obviously being lower (initially at least).

17. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

A Player that can score 20 - 25 goals a season is good but not necessary. Give me a team where the scorers can come from a number of players is my preference with a solid engine room and a solid defence and keeper. I am a believer of keeping the ball and speedy wings who can cross the ball consistently...... Solid team work will win promotion before a 20+ striker and an average inconsistent team....I would like to have both mind...

Jay-Rede and clingo like this.
  18. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

I guess it's ultimately up to what VT wants. He has expressed his desire to see the Bluebirds competing in the premier league for an extended period.
    Thus far he hasn't acheived his aim.
    He has been burnt in the transfer market under MM and, I suspect, he was overjoyed when NW got us up into the Premier League on a relative pittance to MM's money tree.

We all know a players worth is not just his footballing skills, it's the advertising revenue the player can generate for the club. No matter how good the signings are, the Championship player will never generate enough advertising money to compete with the Premier League.

We have all realised in the early part of last season that the midfield is in more urgent need of fixing than a striker. You can't fire the rounds if you haven't got a good supply. I still think we have the strikers in the team, they just need a decent supply and support and they will score.

For me prudence is the order of the day. Get the academy producing and get youngsters into the first team squad. We know NW is against this approach as it doesn't suit his style of football. Bring in a quality midfield, loanees unless funds dictate otherwise. No buying for the future. I agree with the masked one, no player is worth 40k per week.

clingo and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  19. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

In principle most would agree, but the plain fact unfortunately is we live in a real world not an ideal one.

As ludicrous as it seems, 40 grand a week is small potatoes by Prem standards. I'm not saying it's right, but you need to consider putting aside the moral issues if you want to get there. If paying a few players 40 grand a week in the Championship to earn you a guaranteed £170M once you get to the Prem, the maths is a no brainer.

Those players might not even have to be purchased with up front money. Some decent loan players (who actually want to play!) would fulfill the criteria and ensure no long term committment for the club should it not come off. It's a gamble but a relatively low risk option that needs consideration.

Apart from really splashing the cash on proven players, the other alternative is to battle on with relatively low cost imports on lower wages and hope it comes off with Warnock still at the helm. It will be very interesting this summer to see which way we go - or even a bit of both might be the decision.

I just hope we make the right decisions this summer because we sure got it wrong this time last year.

20. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

It is lamentable the game we were all brought up on - jumpers for goalposts in Pontcanna Fields, grazed knees in school yards, watching our bluebird hero’s at Ninian Park for a few bob - has been in part ruined by the filthy lucre of money, ego, power seeking and greed.