1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wage Cap

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by deedub93, Jan 27, 2012.

1. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

I just posted this on another thread but I thought perhaps it deserves it's own thread for disscussion. I was replying to one of Ensils comments:

It is not a players wage cap that is needed, a club wage cap would be far better, i.e. each Premiership team being limited to paying only £1.25 M per week which would equate to £50,000 per player for each of the 25 man squad. It would then be down to each club how they divided it up.

If a club wanted 5 players on £200k per week then the other 20 players would have to share £250k, i.e. £12.5 k each. It would stop teams like Chavski and £ity having £100 M worth of talent on the bench (or worst still not even on the bench) and give youngsters a chance and keep out inferior foreign players. It would also even up the premiership in terms of competitive edge. As with the limitation on squad players, players under the age of 21 would be exempt.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think that they use a similar system in the NBA.
    I don't think that you could have an age exemption, though.

3. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Wage cap, is that anything like a Dutch Cap? :)

4. notsosmartspur

Very good Ens! :D

5. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

How well does it work in the NBA PnP, I dont follow basketball.

6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Neither do I!
    I just remember reading about it a while ago, as Shaquille O'Neill used up half of his team's wage bill.
    I don't even think that was an exaggeration, either.

7. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I can see this playing into the hands of agenmts instead of clubs, frankly - after all, a club might have to ask a few of the squad to take a pay cut in order to add a player that would improve the team, which means the agents of those taking a pay cut can play silly buggers and engineer a move to a club that can accomodate their client within its wage structure (or which there will doubtless be at least twelve in the Premier League)

There's also the way some clubs would essentially strip the best players from clubs who are on a lower financial scale and snatch away their best players in the knowledge they'll easily fit into the wage structure. This is already happening to Belgian and, to a certain degree, Dutch clubs now, but a wage cap would make it more prevalent across Europe.

There's also the consideration that clubs would have an idea of which players make what within their own leagues, and use that to their advantage. For example, Ryan Giggs would be on £60k per week and retires at the end of the season, so MUPLC would be fully aware of how much a like-for-like replacement would be on - and if (for the sake of argument) Yoann Cabaye was on £45k per week, they'd be more obvious than usual with their use of the Murdoch media empire.

8. Chirpy rides again

Chirpy rides again Active Member

Surely a figure of 1.25 million, or any other will not have the effect of making the situation any better? Clubs with lots of cash will still buy the best players (and will spend even more on transfers as they have less to spend on wages) and as a percentage of their turnover, the figure will tiny compared to, with respect, say Norwich. So how will it help clubs who can't afford even that level of wages? The players who would sit on the bench will not go to Norwich, they will go to France Spain and Italy, because they would not play for 12.5k a week.

German clubs manage to pay decent wages AND stay solvent, which they are obliged to do by law. But they have a lot of homegrown talent. Seeing as most academies are full of Carlos Kickarounds and lads from Africa, this is not something that be solved overnight. It needs cool heads and a detailed plan of how we go forward over the next 10 years. While the Prem, which is essentially a money making machine, is seperate from the FA, absolutely nothing will be done, until the cash stops rolling in. And there's not much sign of that.

The other thing to remember about American sports is that, along with wage control, they have the draught, where the bottom teams get first dibs on the best college talent. This makes for a more level playing field, but we do not have a college sports system here.

9. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

It seems to me that any form of wage cap would have to have pan European agreement, or enforcement to work. Otherwise the vast majority of top talent would leave the Premiership for wherever the money is. Also, whatever form of wage restriction was put in place would have to be very carefully thought through. Any tiny loophole would be turned into a yawning chasm by any smart arse team of accountants. in these days of increasingly transient global capital, it's not easy to trace payments made offshore, for example.

10. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I doubt an artificial wage cap is lawful.

11. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Apparently they have them in both rugby codes in this country, HD.
    Is that true?

12. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

It's certainly true of Union, PNP. And, as I pointed out, it's already causing major problems for the top English teams. There is no equivalent cap in France, and many of our top players are leaving, and going there. This also applies to top players from the Southern Hemisphere.

13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Any cap would have to be a FIFA regulation then, I guess.
    Can't see it happening.

14. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The reason the salary caps work in the NBA, NFL or MLB is because they are the top leagues in their chosen profession, so there is nowhere else for the athletes to go that can match their wage demands. This even works to a certain level in the case of MLS because, to be blunt, in the 18 years of its existence only Brad Freidel, Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan have been good enough to earn a move to Europe's top leagues.

This does not work in European football because there's always options that can match your salary demands in England, Spain, Italy or even some clubs in Russia, Ukraine or the bumper pay days in Quatar, the UAE or now China. If you ply your trade in France, Germany, Holland, Portugal, you can expect a potential increase in your salary - let alone those further down the pay scale like Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway. And this is before taking into consideration Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Japan, South Korea or the US.

Even if an upper limit for player's wages of, for the sake of argument, £100k per week was set it wouldn't work - very few teams have the means to pay up to £2.5m a week in wages, but the majority don't.

15. notsosmartspur

What Mr Bosman has put in place will never be undone. Wage cap?...forget it, its too late.

16. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Also I don't think a new player should walk straight into the Club and get paid the highest wage. You should serve a couple of years or half your contract before getting high pay rises based on performances and importance to the Club.