1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Vs Southampton (A)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zanjinho, Dec 30, 2020.

?

Result...

1. Home loss

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

And who is supposed to managed the squad. I'm a big fan of Klopp and know he'll turn things around but Ive been saying for a few years that we're only a couple of injuries away from disaster. If I foresaw it, he should have too.

I don't think this loss is end of the world. We'll bounce back... But the same Klopp who won us titles is responsible for our poor results recently too.

We've played with a pretty thin squad... And this is the result of that. We get injuries and we suck. It's worth it for last year's title... But it was always in the cards we'd have a spell like this.

Prince Knut and Darwinism like this.
  2. Darwinism

Darwinism Well-Known Member

We need a CB and may be a temporary striker (as no 9) in the transfer window. Unless we reinforce the team and get our form back we could struggle to win these matches which we won quite easily last season. Our away form has simply got to improve. No team has ever won the title on their invincible home form alone.

3. Milnermino Lamborini

Milnermino Lamborini Well-Known Member

Temp striker is out of the question. Jota is back at the end of the month. Issue is primarily CB as we are now playing two high quality MFs in their limiting our options in the middle. This is the primary reason of our struggles

Prince Knut and organic red like this.
  4. Libby

Libby 9-0

We had injuries too mate. Worst side we've put out this season.

*joint top btw, @Forbes McAllister to confirm <whistle>

5. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

You’ve got your cup final against us again at the end of the month

you’ll be up for that one as usual

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

So many fanboys talking like this is FM. Player injured omg buy a new one! <laugh>

Picture this.... a squad!

Zanjinho likes this.
  7. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

Honestly, I get your point. We took a risk by not replacing Lovren with an out and out defender. But we are not City, Chelsea or Utd. Multiple teams are outspending us and we are owned by very shrewd businessmen who will not act like Sheiks or Oligarchs. So we have to make compromises and Klopp has done that amazingly. In fact, just look at the net spending tables and he has done better than amazingly. So no, not Klopp...not FSG either, they never promised the Earth but have certainly delivered a chunk of it.

This year, we have lost key players at sh*t times for lengthy periods and we are still top. We won’t be for long but just being up there right now is a ridiculous achievement. The fact that people are so peed off when they know that we have Serious problems Shows just how much we have developed....and that’s down to Klopp with the support of FSG.

so for me, we fight on, hopefully we will buy, but if we do not in these strange times, who can blame them? The only way we change this is to sell up to a a multi billionaire where money is no object and miraculous sponsorship can be conjured up from nothing....And we assemble a squad akin to City’s....and I mean assemble, rather than build....is that what we all want?? I don’t think it is.....Maybe I’m in a minority.

8. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

picture this:

net spending per season over the last 5 years:

liverpool £18.5m
    Utd £78m
    City £102m

we’ve built a ‘squad’ for less than one quarter of Utd’s And less than one fifth of Citys....and ground them into the dirt for god measure. Now with a few bad injuries to very keep players at the same time, the depth of squad is found a little lacking. Surprise surprise.....but we’re STILL above both of them, for now anyway. Given the above numbers, I think that most sensible football fans would Simply appreciate what Klopp and Liverpool have done....with a fraction of the budget to build the said squad. Imagine if you gave Klopp Utd’s budget...my god you lot would sh*t yourselves <laugh>

Sucky likes this.
  9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

You pipped City to the title once, we have been **** for over 7 years and most top 8 teams have been better than us.

Anyone else you might have ground int the dirt?

Just to mention none "money teams", Leicester have been without their 3 first pick CBs for a while this season, Southampton were without their main CB tonight.
    Both these teams had players who came in and did a job for them with no fuss or whinging, whats happened to the ready made replacement for Arnold since he's been ****, where are the two lads that were ready to step in if VvD or Gomez were injured?

All teams have injuries, you have been very lucky for over two years and still are with your attackers. Oh i hear, but they are missing Virgils long ball to the fast lads but now you have Thiago to do that (Klopp should have played him tonight).

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Net spend again ffs <laugh>

Mate I remember us playing with Rio and Vidic out injured and amback 4 of Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs and Evra in games. Nobody cried. Nobody went all fanboy calling for us to buy new CB's. We still won. Great teams just get on with it, not make excuses <ok>

Diego likes this.

11. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

1) refer to last seasons league table.
    2) you’re still **** - you’re just having a lucky spell <laugh>
    3) I agree we have been lucky with injuries
    4) but we still have been outspent 4:1 so it’s a valid reason for a lack of depth, whether you like it or not
    6) TAA will end up with more assists than both of your full backs this season

We won’t win the league, City will....easily....if your new found lucky streak gets your hopes up, all the funnier when you crash and burn...which you inevitably will do. Don’t worry though, I reckon you’re good for top four <ok>

I still reckon we’d beat your lot with no recognised CB’s so happy to have a small wager on it if you want? Charity bet? You call it.

as for the other muppet who’s surfaced now you’ve strung a couple of results together @Treble - I’m not whinging, facts are facts...you’ve spent your way to a short spell near the top of the league. Well done. <laugh>
    Same bet applies to you <ok>

I’ve watched every Utd game and I can honestly say you’re over performing with a full squad. You should be whinging like bitches, not us :emoticon-0172-mooni

Prince Knut and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  12. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

13. lfcpower

lfcpower Well-Known Member

WTFITSALLFUCKINGFUCKEDIDKWERESOFUCKINGSTFUFUCKEDYOMFGROFLMAOFMLJKYWAKTHXTTYL

14. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

? <confused>

15. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I will come back on our own performance later (which is obviously a big concern) but I am still gobsmacked by arguably the worst refereeing performance I have seen this season. We didn't lose because of the refs but they definitely need to be called out for some outrageous decisions. A few off the top of my head:

1) Clear penalty on Mane
    2) Handball in the box - I don't like to see these given as I think it's harsh but they ARE given.
    3) Salah was literally being strangled on the touch line but no foul
    4) Milner being practically two footed by Walcott and not even a free kick
    5) Mane being constantly wrestled by KWP and nothing.

16. Prince Knut

As you say, we didn't lose because of the referee, but the highlight was him giving a free kick for a foul on their goalie when his own player ran into him. Bit moot though, as Bobby still managed to roll the ball past the post from an open goal 5 yards out.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  17. Jimmy Squarefoot

LOL I saw this as well and it sums him up.

Prince Knut likes this.
  18. Jimmy Squarefoot

Where do I even begin? When I first saw the team sheet, I was a little excited because we had Thiago and Ox in midfield and I thought they would give us better progression and possession. Unfortunately, I didn't factor in that they are still fresh from injuries and will need time to get full sharp. A few key things I wanted to raise:

1) The game plan / game state went out the window from the off when Trent gifted them a goal. Yes, we had plenty of time to get back into the game but we were on the back foot from the off which never helps.

2) Trent has gone from being one of our most influential players to being a liability. This is a huge concern because we desperately lack his creativity from deep. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Milner or even Ox play RB for 1-2 games just to give Trent a rest.

3) With Trent being bang out of form, it's leaving Salah isolated. It means our whole right side is redundant - compare to the other side where Mane and Robbo link really well. Look at last season where we would be able to switch play and play on both flanks. Right now, it's all going through the left and it's becoming predictable.

4) Without VVD or Trent creating from deep (or even Matip or Gomez), we need to find creativity in other places. Our build up play is so painful - get the ball out wide and cross and pray. Before, we had centre backs who would carry the ball out and ping a quick ball either to the front 3 or to full backs. We cant do this now so Klopp really needs to tweak something. Thiago coming back is a big addition and he can help with this but I do think we need Naby back asap - people won't agree but he gets the ball and gets up to the front 3 quickly and then runs into the box to provide support.

5) Mental and physical fatigue is really creeping in - a lot of the blame will unfairly fall on the front 3 but I think these lads look knackered. Their decision making, their passing, final ball shooting just looks so off at the moment. This is where really miss Jota ...

6) Luck. We can be the greatest team in the world but we do need some luck every now and again. Look at the last 3 performances - they've been awful. But we did enough to win in all 3 IMO.

THE FOOL and Prince Knut like this.
  19. Libby

Libby 9-0

<laugh><laugh><wah>

OddRiverOakWizards and Treble like this.
  20. Prince Knut

Watched the second half in bed as I'd just done my first 12 hour shift of the year, and had to be up at 4am this morning. Not a good idea - couldn't sleep till 1am even though I was dog-tired, But my ratings:

Allison: 5 No chance with goal, distribution was awful and nearly gave another one away. But probably our MoTM.

Trent: 2 I know, I'm being sentimental and giving him too high a score. Defends like Traore, but his forward play has always made that bearable: but gave the ball away 38 times? thought it was more than that. Future captain.

Robbo: 5 CAN defend, and do what Trent does (better). Along with mane, was our only hope down that left flank in the second half.

Hendo: 4 Did his best, but played the whole Soton forward line on for their goal. Some decent punts up the pitch that might have come off if there was no offside rule.

Fab: 5 Needs to go back in the midfield. Now.

Tiago: 5 Early booking after being targeted for a barage of early fouls to take him out of the game dulled his effectiveness. Still a couple of sublime passes, one that Bobby did his best trip over when clear through.

Windy: 4 Everywhere doing nothing. Zero creativity

Ox: 4 Largely anonymous, Tried several times to run into a crowd of players as if he was Messi.

Mane: 5 Got through a couple of times. should have had a pen, but no composure in truth.

Bobby: 3 Has morphed into Dirk Kuyt, but without the goals. Tends to up his games against the bigger sides (which is what Soton are this season) but not last night.

Salah: 4 Drifted in and out the game, and he too thought he could just run into a crowd of players and come out of the other side with the ball. Didn't.

Subs:

Shacks. 3 ****e. Crossing no better than Trent, and had one decent opportunity that he put high in the stand. Looked like he was just there in case we got a free kick outside the box.

Milner: 4 Got fouled in front of the ref and nothing given. Seemed to be in a strop after that. Improvement on Trent though.

Klopp: 4 Is it Milner next at CB? Phillips is a plodder and Williams a child, but Fab and hendo at CB? Really?

Team: 4.5 Looked like another Villa could be on the cards in first ten minutes, so a relief that we kept the score down to half time. That said, it was still a game we could have got something from had we had decent, on-form forwards and a midfield of Tiago, Hendo and Fab. Best team won though, and did so relatively easily despite their own extensive injury list. And that says it all.