1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Vs Sheffield United (A)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zanjinho, Feb 20, 2021.

?

Result...

1. Home loss

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. lfcpower

lfcpower Well-Known Member

Of course, it's why I don't normally watch all that. I haven't for a long time, so watching it after a long break just made it stand out more for what it is

2. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

It was going ****ing miles wide before the deflection <laugh>

3. Zorba

Zorba Well-Known Member

Not after giving an interview with the SCUM after Hillsborough....NO

ademuzzy likes this.
  4. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

What was noticeable is that Trent was playing deeper than normal, almost as part of a back 3 alongside Kabak and Phillips whilst Robbo was the one out pushing up. It was good seeing us on the overlap - I thought Robbo and Jones linked up nicely down the left side which meant we kept width whilst we got the main men in the box .

It seemed like we finally committed men forward - we often had 4-5 players in attack - the front 3 as standard but then Robbo / Jones / Trent getting high whenever required.

5. Jimmy Squarefoot

This map gives us a good indication how many men we were committing up the pitch and supporting the attack. Attacking becomes easier when we have more men forward .

please log in to view this image

6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I think he just lacks concentration, this can be worked on and naturally gets better with experience. Unfortunately, it's not a short term fix though and we need him now

lfcpower likes this.
  7. Jimmy Squarefoot

To be fair to Kabak, he's a young lad who has been thrown into the deep end and without an experienced partner. Not only that, he's now been asked to play on the left side which brings added complexities.

The issue is that we brought him in as short term solution but he isn't that - he's someone who is for the long term. I still maintain that FSG completely shafted us in January with their refusal to bring in immediate, quality options.

8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

It was the same with Gomez when he got in the side; young, inexperienced and therefore prone to errors but VVD kept him in check.

9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Yep. Always easier when you have the best CB next to you, in a settled back line, best keeper behind you and the best DM in front of you (Fabinho).

Remains to be seen if Kabak was a genuine long term option for us or we were just desperate. One thing is for sure is that I hope we buy at least 1 more senior established centre back this summer.

10. saintKlopp

I agree with your assessment of Kabak, but the reasons for our failure to secure a better option are speculation. We don't know whether there was a suitable option available and affordable or not.
    Are there really that many who can reach the standard we need, and who are looking for a move, at a price we can afford?
    This also comes down to opinions - for instance, I've seen a lot of talk about Upamecano but I've been rather underwhelmed by him when I've seen him.

Bumps and Zanjinho like this.

11. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

Players take time to settle, why we are expecting kabak to come in and be upto speed straight away is beyond me.

Regardless of who we bought, coming in to a side on a terrible run, being put next to a very temporary partner and no defensive midfielder for protection, its going to be a tough ask.

We've been spoilt with alot of our signings virgil and salah obviously spring to mind as players who came in and where spot on very quickly, most took weeks to integrate into the side.

I feel the critism leveled at kabak may be slightly premature and certainly undeserved.

Bumps and Klopp's Mannschaft like this.
  12. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

I would be amazed if we keep Kabak. Fair enough he is new to the system, but the kid has zero peace and looks lost

Mr Beej likes this.
  13. lfcpower

lfcpower Well-Known Member

We'd have to build him on arrival as well and there's no guarantee that his previous team didn't lose some parts

Mr Beej and saintKlopp like this.
  14. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

I don’t think we can really judge kabak too much until end of season. He’s one we’ve been looking at for a while though and is clearly a long term target that was brought in a bit earlier than planned if ever.

We do have to remember he’s 20! 3 years younger than Phillips and the same age as Rhys Williams.

He’s had to come into a team in crises and be the senior centre back despite being at the club 5 minutes, from a team that has been **** all year as well and expected to suddenly make us solid at the back.

He’s been alright. Caught out a few times for sure but I don’t know how schalke play but he maybe isn’t used to playing higher line so hasn’t had to worry about the space in behind. Add in alisson wiped him out against Leicester so maybe put doubt in his mind when balls get played in behind, is the keeper going to be there, is he not?

If the club sign him permanently he’ll be 4th choice behind Matip next season (or behind someone else if we buy another CB) so don’t think need to overreact

Bumps, Zanjinho, saintKlopp and 2 others like this.
  15. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I'd have preferred Upamecano. Can be a bit eager at times but that's easy to coach out if him. Not so easy to make someone big, strong and imposing.

16. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

He was all over the shop at the weekend, gave away a daft penalty and B. Monchengladbach were 2 up at Leipzig.
    Leipzig came back to win 3-2 in injury time but it seems every time I watch Upamecano he ****s up in some way.

saintKlopp likes this.
  17. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I think Matip will leave in the summer

18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

He's already mentally at Bayern

19. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Some interesting CB opinions................

20. Jimmy Squarefoot

That's a fair point. I'm not against the Kabak signing but I would have wanted one more in addition to Kabak (and not just some cheap, stop gap like Davies). The reliable journos all said that we bid for David Carmo and Caleta Carr, so we definitely wanted someone to come in at LCB.

Whether they come in and perform straight away is debatable. But it would have allowed us to play two natural centre backs, which then puts Hendo and Fabinho back into midfield. Had we been proactive and brought two signings in at the beginning of the window, they would have had a month to have bed in and could have prevented the injuries to Fab / Hendo.

We only put in bids for those two defenders on the last day of the window. That is panic buying and was only done because Matip was ruled out for the season. If Matip wasn't, I reckon we wouldn't have brought anyone in. And that's why I cannot forgive the owners for their negligence.