1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Vs Burnley (H)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zanjinho, Jan 17, 2021.

?

Result...

1. Home win

2. Draw

3. Away loss

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Lol no point analysing this. Hopefully we can score a goal or win a game soon.

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Eveyone over thinks every pass and we also don't work hard enough at times. Last few seasons we'd outwork any team and bully teams like Burnley if they wanted to mix it up, it was a great combination.

3. Jimmy Squarefoot

No doubt that players are underperforming but I do think losing VVD has hurt us so much (similar to City last season). We were able to beat teams like Burnley last season because you had VVD pretty much on the halfway line, and then Fabinho pretty much on the 18 yard box in the opponents half. We were able to squeeze play so much and that allowed us to sustain wave after wave of attack.

Unfortunately, Klopp is still persisting with a system that was successful for us when we had the right players. We don't have it at the moment - we don't have VVD and we can't rely on Trent's creativity because he is woefully out of form. We need to change shape. Go to 4231 and get Fabinho back in midfield whenever possible. He needs to take a risk and use Rhys or Nat to partner Matip.

4. Jimmy Squarefoot

I know I said I wasn't going to analyse anything but I can't help myself. All the focus will be on the attackers failing to score, and Trent not being able to find a man.

But there is always one person who doesn't do anything wrong but also doesnt offer anything - Gini. We need to replace him in the summer, and I don't blame the club for not offering him a long term contract

Finally - for the love of f*ck, can we stop crossing aimlessly!!!

5. Darwinism

Darwinism Well-Known Member

It may seem heresy after the praise that Thiago has universally received for his performances. But Didi Hamann has cast doubt on whether his style of play although technically great is more suited to the long possession game rather than the fast attacking game that has been the cornerstone of our success. Is it coincidence that the last matches Thiago played have shown us with much more possession but fewer (no) goals?

From the Echo

“Thiago
    joined the club from Champions League winners Bayern Munich but only made his Anfield debut against Manchester United at the weekend due to injuries.
    Since his return over Christmas, the Spaniard has featured in three Premier League games in which Liverpool haven't scored a goal.

As a result, Hamann suggested this week that Thiago has contributed to their recent goal drought.

He slows things down and doesn't really play the way Liverpool play," he said. "Liverpool in the past two years had hard-working midfielders. They were skilful, yes, but not as skilful as Thiago.

"They gave the ball to Salah and Mane early, and when you get the ball early to the wing and these guys can run at players, they are very hard, impossible to stop.”

6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

He plays much quicker than any if our other midfielders; he isn't afraid to play it first time either, the rest all want several touches first and even then, the pass isn't as adventurous.

Great for us on the pitch but Hamann is another former Liverpool player that's full of ****

Sucky and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.
  7. saintKlopp

**** 'em. It doesn't say much for people whose only enjoyment is the misfortune of others. <ok>

Zanjinho likes this.
  8. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Anyone who thinks Thiago is our problem after the last six weeks is our problem themselves. He fades in and out of games, but he's been out for nearly three months after what some of the medical staff at Anfield thought was a season-ending injury in the derby. But our midfield has deeper problems than that:

Our best DM looks like he's filling-in at CB not for a couple of months, but the whole season.

Our skipper and second most creative midfielder either plays at CB as well, or is injured

Gini runs around in circles and couldn't unlock a Fisher Price toy safe, let alone a Prem defence.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  9. Zorba

Zorba Well-Known Member

Schadenfreude as Herr Klopp would say.:emoticon-0105-wink:

saintKlopp likes this.
  10. moreinjuredthanowen

Bar the one single player to make a positive run was wijnaldum that opened them up and salah have a massive chance as a result.

Sure why not?

The reality is we are not seeing people willing to make the runs needed to get in better positions.

Trent had a glorious chance to deliver one and cut onto his weak left foot to shoot.

We are getting into those better positions, but just a couple times but we fail to deliver to the danger zone.

Trent put 5 across behind the danger zone no nobody. He cut back once.

Salah made only one single run outside. In the 95th minute. He is so easy to defend as if he does run at you he will always go onto left foot.

Only matip did any positive running with the ball. Then nobody is moving to exploit it.

Shaqiri crossing was a ****ing joke.

We need to be more direct in our carrying of the ball. Go at people and then play the pass.

We need people making the runs behind defenders.

Look for the over lap. Look to get into the box. Look to force challenges and mistakes.

The issue is that we only did the right things rarely. A few good presses and Burnley coughed up chances. Nobody finished. Firmino and mane missed good chances a mile wide. Origi panicked when presented with a total gift. Salah didn't really catch his shot but at least it was on target.

We got in behind a couple times but the bodies in the box were low and the ball wasn't in the danger zone. Really poor.

Most of all I could defend against Burnley. It was a poor clearance that led to the ball back in. Fabinho bottled his challenge as well then. They have scored 10% of their goals this season at anfield. Think about that.

But I think everyone i hope finally sees why I have been talking about 4th being at risk now.

11. saintKlopp

Quite.

12. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I've seen this suggested a few times now.

Easy to say in hindsight because you know they ended up scoring from it.

At the time he had to make a quick split second decision whilst already on a yellow card when caution comes first.

I'm sure he'd have been more aggressive if he hadn't have had the booking.

13. moreinjuredthanowen

If the first clearance had even gone 5 yards further, no issue. Its the at best average clearance thats the issue. Hit the half way line and my 0-0 prediction comes true.

14. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

That's nonsense, I'm not seeing him slowing things down at all, if anything he finds players in great positions and is capable of going past a man and winning the ball. I can't get my head around that, he's quality and it shows on the pitch.

15. moreinjuredthanowen

Hamman is infamous for saying a series of stupid things.

organic red, Zanjinho and luvgonzo like this.
  16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

It's always a risk, but to try and say any of us know why and can call it is nonsense. We could still win it or we could drop out of the top 4 nobody knows. We get pissy too quickly as fans, I'd take this season over some of the **** we played before Klopp.

17. moreinjuredthanowen

we are not winning it :)

**** happens. I move well past pissy far quicker than others. people need to look at l'arse for where we could be headed this season. The nice thing for that lot is they pulled one kid and stuck him in his best position and their results picked up. They looked the same as us frankly. all looking at each other for someone else to do something and suddenly it all clicks again.

we need players to step the **** up and do what they know works. TAA and shaqirir and henderson all know full well lofting a crap slow cross form not even level with the pen area is meat and drink for 6 foot 4 CBs but the do it anyway. Everyone one of them know but they do it anyway.

18. RogerisontheHunt

RogerisontheHunt Well-Known Member

Perhaps theres another way to look at it. Perhaps its not the player himself but rather the others around him.
    Because Thiago is such as good passer and player in posession that all the others feel they need to pass to him, he needs to start the attacks, find the killer ball etc.
    So instead of playing the ball down the line or a quick early ball to the forwards or having a run at the defenders, the other players are playing the ball to Thiago to do something. Which could be one pass to many allowing the opposition to get back in shape.

Think of it like being an amateur sports team and having that one player who could if they'd taken it seriously been pro and having to play everything through them.

Darwinism likes this.
  19. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Origi puts his shot half an inch lower and we win... #hindsight

20. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

FFS