1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Vs Brighton (H)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zanjinho, Jan 31, 2021.

?

Result...

1. Home win

2. Draw

3. Away loss

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

You sure about that mate?

Liverpool played 11 away games - won 4

Everton played 10 away games - won 7 :)

2. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

cos we let them.. we move the ball nice and slowly and give them time to get back.

let’s be real, Brighton were more threatening than us so wasn’t that they say back all game. When they lost the ball they just got back into shape quickly and we let them. Every time ball went to Milner, Gini, firmino, they took 5 touches, slowed it down passes it sidewards sand Brighton were back behind the ball.

quinneristops and Zanjinho like this.
  3. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

won our last 2 <ok>

4. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

We might get a 3-0 head start in the CL! <badger>

5. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

True, definite lack of urgency in our game. Just so frustrating watching us pass it about trying to get through eleven defenders every game

6. Dancingbraveforever

Dancingbraveforever Well-Known Member

Surely that is tactical naivety by Kopp as BHA had 4 times as many shots on target? More than one way to skin a cat than to go 200 mph at it every game.

7. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Is winning the Champions League our best chance of qualifying for it? We shouldn't have to play any relegation candidates there...

8. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Klopp says we look tired mentally and physically.

Problem with the team. When you’re winning, players aren’t tired. Can play week after week.

auddenly start losing, players get more tired, you mix up the team but the back up quality isn’t good enough so you lose again.. and suddenly in catch 22. Play best team and make them more tired, or switch it up but reduce the quality.

injuries mean haven’t been able to rotate properly, Jota is huge miss in not letting us rest the front 3 and bring in players of similar level. And obvious the defence is what it is...

salvage job this season, get kabak into the team, get Hendo into midfield and drop Milner and Gini.

quinneristops, Bumps and DirtyFrank like this.
  9. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Not sure playing with ten men is the answer :bandit:

Bumps likes this.
  10. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Until Fabinho, Alisson, Jota and Mané are back and the new CB are up to speed we won't be challenging for top 4

11. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

We had 5 players on the pitch today that where in our first 11 last season and actually playing in their correct positions.

We've lost our 3 centre backs to long term injury, replaced with a midfielder and a player who had his bags packed for the championship last season.

Any other team would be ****ing over joyed that they where still scrapping at the top of the table, rather than wallowing in midtable or lower.

To look at the players we've got left and see that we are still pushing along is a miracle of ****ing epic proportions.

12. moreinjuredthanowen

Game reminded me of the Fulham game.

Its not about dissing Brighton but the reality is that both clubs ran more than us, ran harder than us, for longer than us.

We are shot through and just have not got the fitness nor the drive to at least cover each other if someone makes a run.

Look at our press. Brighton had 5 or 6 players back and could easily pass round our 3 and sometimes 4 willing. You.never say either full back push up on the flatted ball wide.

Yet when the ball went long from them they still won it where we should have out numbered them.

That tells me we were totally passive in our approach. No aggression in the press at all.

They literally walked from one end to the right wing slot where we showed absolutely zero intent to close down. Firmino never got close at all. Robertson half came out but actually invited the cross and then it was laid back to their lad that firmino still hadn't got close to. One ball in. Goal.

We have to see that irrespective of what style we try play we have to be about it. The effort levels im sure are ok for a passive team bit I just am not seeing that extra level where we have the fitness and speed of pass to drive through these sides.

Our record v "top 6" is vastly better than anyones. Our record v bottom half is absolutely terrible. That tells me we are really throwing it away with.playing in front of teams with being scared to be caught on the break.

13. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

so we play deeper. The game is less compact and it’s harder to press. Add defenders with pace and this gets easier. We lost this title against Everton I’m afraid. We might have lost top four when Gomez got injured with England. Let’s hope the new signings click and overcome our problems because if there’s no CL next year, it’s 1 step forward, 3 steps back.

14. Zorba

Zorba Well-Known Member

I agree but it's up to us to find away of beating teams that do it.Doing the same thing over and over and thinking we'll get a different result is insane.( Einstein)
    Doesn't help when we bring on subs that offer us absolutely nothing.

wishiwasinliverpool likes this.
  15. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Only they had 13 attempts on goal to your 11, and 4 on target to your 1.

What they did was be organised and kept their shape when not in possession, then invariably nicked the ball from you and set up their own attacks.

Sweats likes this.
  16. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I think that could have been the worst performance of the season (and there are many contenders). Reason I say that is because in the other matches, we probably 2-3 really good chances to score but fluffed the lines. In this game, I think we only had 1 and apart from that, we didn't even look close to scoring.

I really don't know why there is a reluctance to play the ball into players feet, inside the box. We only started doing that at the beginning of the second half and we looked threatening but then we conceded the goal and our heads dropped once more.

With that said, I do have some sympathy with the players. We are ravaged by injuries - we're constantly chopping and changing this team, it's no wonder we can't get any consistency. Just when you think players are coming back, then a new batch get injured (case in point, Allison and Mane). We had a reserve keeper, a makeshift defence, a makeshift midfield who have played 3 games in 7 days, a front line which has Salah who looks isolated, out of form Bobby and Shaq who is not suited to a front 3. There is only so much you can do (but I will admit, we should do better!).

The season is a write off for me - we just need to get top 4 and maybe have a good run in the CL. Anything else is a bonus.

17. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Brighton outplayed us. They fully deserved the win.

Bumps, Zanjinho and Solid_Air 2 like this.
  18. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

Thought Brighton should have won by more tbh as they were the team that carried a goal threat not us .
    Klopp really needs to get the players in games like this to actually drive at oppo box / players to force the issue . I was also surprised one of Jones or AOC didn't start last night just to rotate the MF as tiredness is clearly an issue at present .

19. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Exactly what I said at pretty much the same time last night. We were right <doh>

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING likes this.
  20. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

That was a sack of ****. I suspect we'll get raped by city on Sunday.