1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Vs Brighton (A)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zanjinho, Nov 26, 2020.

?

Result...

1. Home loss

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mr Beej

Mr Beej Well-Known Member

What if the ref had seen it and decided to play on. Do we really want games reffed remotely?

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  2. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

You may be sarcastic, but he struggled yesterday, or were you watching a different match?

3. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

unless you are kicking Rashford apparently <laugh>

Zanjinho likes this.
  4. Mr Beej

No I wasn't being sarcastic. Klopp and the committee presumably saw something in him when they bought him. It is fair to say it hasn't worked so far. I just don't see how he might improve and become the player Klopp hoped for if he doesn't play. The same can probably be said about Keita.

wishiwasinliverpool likes this.
  5. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Just the one wrong

6. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

You're right. He's a good player but only in fits and starts at the moment. He needs game time of course; I'd sooner it was when we didn't have so many injuries of key players

7. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Tell that to Van Dijk.

8. Darwinism

Darwinism Well-Known Member

I said they looked at those not that the decisions were invariably correct.

9. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Scorched earth policy because Uniturd haven't won the league for seven years and counting.

10. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I will try to be as positive as possible but it's very difficult. Unfortunately, we have to expect these kinds of performances until we get our players back.

VAR is another issue altogether which is really out of our control and injuries is just plain unlucky. With these two factors massively against us, we really need some luck / decisions to go our way. These fine margins are just against us - the Salah offside and the penalty. For what it's worth, I do think the decisions were ultimately correct so I'm not complaining that I want wrong decisions to be made in our favour, but I just want Salah / Mane to hold that run for a split second, for Bobby's shot vs Leicester to have a bit more power to go fully over the line, for Robbo not to have lashed out wildly vs Brighton. We just need these little things to go our way.

Re. VAR, it's just weird that they are able to overturn decisions which aren't clear and obvious when it's against us. There was a similar incident in yesterdays game involving Traore but VAR didn't deem it to be worthy as a clear and obvious error. It's just a farce now.

With that said - we were lucky to get a point vs Brighton because it's a game we should have lost. If we had our full team, then VAR wouldn't have been an issue because we would have wiped the floor with them. I will try to end on a positive though. Our defence and midfield consists of 7 players - we only had 2 of our first choice players starting in those positions. That's f*cking 2 out of 7 !! And despite all of these injuries and having the most VAR decisions overturned against us (we have 8 decisions overturned which is 4-5 more than the next team), we're still joint top of the PL and in our CL group. That is incredible.

I'm not going to criticise the team because at the end of the day, we literally have no defence or midfield. The attack are starved of creativity, the defence lacks solidity and experience and the midfield is being chopped and changed, and switching between a 2 or 3 man midfield. It's confusing.

Also - Neco Williams isn't going to make it. We need Trent and Milner back ASAP.

johnsonsbaby, Zanjinho and saintKlopp like this.

11. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

In my opinion, it wasn't a penalty. Robertson was trying to clear the ball and had no intention of booting the manc twat. No intent and no penalty in the spirit f the game, if that still exists.

quinneristops likes this.
  12. Jimmy Squarefoot

It's very soft but I can see why it was given. Robbo should take responsibility and not be wildly lashing at it. Wellbeck delayed reaction shows how soft it was.

With that said, VAR is supposed to only overturn clear and obvious decisions. This was not clear and obvious. The refs are applying the rules when it suits them and unfortunately, it's massively against us this season.

Either way, we need to get our players back and fully fit now because once they are, VAR decisions won't be enough to change the outcome of a game. We will be blitzing teams again.

BobbyD and johnsonsbaby like this.
  13. saintKlopp

Regardless of whether or not you think it was a penalty, no blame should be attributed to Robbo imo, it was a ball that he had every right to go for.
    As for Neco, I've said all season that the lad has a way to go. He has talent, but is still very immature. I wouldn't bin him just yet, but having to rely on him in big important games isn't great.
    Finally, you calling for Milner back is a bit of an eyebrow-raiser. <laugh>

Zanjinho likes this.
  14. Jimmy Squarefoot

I don't know mate, Robbo goes very rashly. You're right - he's entitled to go in but he has to win the ball cleanly. It's very harsh but I can see why it was given (But I don't agree with how VAR was used!).

Again, I'm being harsh on Neco because he's coming into a weakened team so it's not fair to judge. But at the moment, he's not good enough defensively and he's not offering anything going forward. In fact, he is easily pressured when he's on the ball and loses possession far too often.

Re. Milner - I'm desperate! I rather Milner at RB than in midfield, and definitely over Neco. Obviously, we need Trent back - not only is he a good defender but his creativity is so important to us.

BobbyD, johnsonsbaby and saintKlopp like this.
  15. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Just like to throw in a shout out for Nat Phillips, what a revelation he's been. Nothing fancy just a good solid defender. He doesn't give us the forward drive of Joe or Virgil or the long range laser-like passes but he looks comfortable on the ball and although I haven't checked, I'm guessing he wins all or the majority of his aerial battles. He's great in the air. Has a good attitude as well. What weren't the coaching staff seeing?

organic red likes this.
  16. Jimmy Squarefoot

Liverpool are the only team with 3 lunchtime kick offs in the first half of the season
    All away
    All on the 3rd day after a game (or international)

In the first two 12:30 games, Liverpool had 5 VAR decisions go against them, had 3 goals disallowed (2 for VAR-imagined offsides), were denied 4 total points in injury time, and lost 3 players to injuries, 2 of them long term.

-------------------------------------------

I'm not posting the above to cry-arse. It's just highlights that we need our luck to change!

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  17. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

We do, but the injury part is no coincidence - Klopp's unusual outspokenness about it speaks volumes.

One thing that ****ed me off was the Mane goal from a dead ball... Where is the ****ing flag so no one gets their hopes up!! Piss poor to miss that.

18. saintKlopp

It's the policy of letting the move end I suppose. It's something I've disapproved of since its inception.
    Imagine a player marginally offside put through on goal, keeper rushes out or defender throws himself into a last-ditch tackle - someone could get seriously injured in a move that should have been stopped.
    It's another attempt to show how VAR can improve things, when it can just make it worse.
    The rules of football evolved fairly slowly. There's been more tinkering with them over the last few years than in a century beforehand. Neither the players, fans nor the officials can keep up with it.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  19. Mr Beej

It's as though they are trying to justify their existence and " fix" a problem that didn't really exist. Can anyone say that what we have now is better than before?

johnsonsbaby and saintKlopp like this.
  20. quinneristops

quinneristops Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, Robbie was clearing a loose ball in the penalty area. It was not a tackle and Wellbeck was not in control of the ball. Wellbecks foot came in from the side and Robbie had almost completed his clearance by the time there was contact. How on earth is this a penalty?

saintKlopp likes this.