1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Vs Aston Villa (A)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zanjinho, Oct 1, 2020.

?

Result...

1. Home loss

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Lol I'm clutching at straws fella. But I do think this was a freak result (some of it was self inflicted but some of it was just plain bad luck).

And don't get me wrong, bar Salah Robbo and Jota, everyone should be ashamed.

johnsonsbaby, Sucky and Darwinism like this.
  2. Jimmy Squarefoot

But we really did trouble down the left which was good to see. The link up between Jota and Robo was nice.

3. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Oh, we definitely caused problems down the left but I think Villa shut the door on our right side which inevitably left a bit more space for us to try and exploit on the left.

Most of Villa's attacks came down our right hand side too; targeting Trent & Gomez? Keita was the RCM too.

4. Jimmy Squarefoot

Keita didn't do much to protect, Fabinho hardly won a tackle, Trent was anonymous but Gomez was truly horrific.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  5. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Ah Yeh forget about mo.

6. Darwinism

Darwinism Well-Known Member

It has to be a freak result by definition. Very very few matches in a season end up with such a score however weak one of the teams is. Nevermind the champions, considered to be one of the strongest teams on the planet.

However we cannot hide from the fact that we were poor. The team we put out yesterday was a far cry from the team that went undefeated for a very long time last season. The absence of Mané and Allison made the crucial difference. That shows that beyond our best 11 we are not that strong.

We have to regroup and start winning again. We lost 2 consecutive matches (one in the league cup). It won’t be easy. A win I suspect will be more important for Everton. Win the derby and their challenge for the title will have to be taken seriously. We will learn the lessons from the rout yesterday. Adrian: don’t look to mimic Allison. You are no Allison so just hoof the ball upfield if there is a whiff of danger. The full backs please stick to defending until the confidence comes back. And VVD please defend first instead of emulating Beckenbauer. Some of your touches like the one against Leeds led to a goal.

7. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Hendo as well.

Too early to be including Thiago though

8. Jimmy Squarefoot

I think Jota did well in Mane's absence. Granted, he's nowhere near Mane's level but Jota did link up and helped to create openings. I'm less so worried with him in the team. If anything, I wouldn't against dropping Bobby for Jota - perhaps Jota or Salah could play the central role instead.

The concerning thing is for me is the form of Gomez, and Adrian. Adrian is a serious problem, and he makes far too many mistakes in games. His error has led to conceding 5 goals in 21 appearances but that doesn't account for any big errors which haven't led to goals. He is statistically one of the worst keepers in the league in terms of shots saved and pass completion.

9. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

Gomez and Firmino need to come out of the team.

I’m getting seriously fed up with Firmino wasting golden chance after chance trying to put it away with the outside of his foot or some other ridiculous, arrogant finish. You are not Ronaldinho ffs.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  10. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Firmino used to grab hold of games, not its just the odd flashes of ability. Really really out of form and tbh Minamino must wonder what it takes to start ahead of him.

Sucky and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.

11. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

12. Garlic Klopp

Garlic Klopp Well-Known Member

Play like that against Everton and we will let in more than 7. Hopefully it was a one off, but our right with TAA and Gomez is very weak. I can see Fabhino playing CB alongside VVD just to try and keep Everton quiet. Hopefully Hendo and Mane will be back and Thiago would make a difference if he is fit.

Ah well, onward and upwards

13. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

<applause> Wish I'd waited and not spunked off after a quarter of a bottle of bourbon now. And I was supposed to be having a dry October!

The salient points are Adrian, Joe and Bobby. Adrian had his dream story last season. That should have been enough for a good send-off and cult-hero status. We knew he was erratic, but he was the best we could do in the last moments of the transfer window. There is surely better in the EFL we can still pick up in the next week who'll know they'll get game time because, let's face it, Allison will miss 5-10 games each season.

Joe has been shot since the City game in June. I have always been his biggest fan: he has electric pace, he's strong (Deeny rated him better than Lovren) and comfortable on the ball. Or he was until that game when Sterling rag-dolled him. But we have to play him through this dip, because we never bought a fourth CB. Are we really thinking Fab is the answer? In fairness, he was no better than Joe last night.

Bobby has never been an Owen, Fowler or Studge, but he brought a rhythm to the attack. I thought his first season with us was iffy, but playing with Mo and Mane raised his game. He just looks ordinary when one of those doesn't play. And that is the point - Mane is the best forward in the league atm in my view: have we reached the point that we can't cope without him? Even against Villa?

14. Prince Knut

Right.

15. Prince Knut

I made that point last night. 10 - 4 would have been a fairer result.

Tobes likes this.
  16. Prince Knut

If Mane is fit for the derby, I'd play Jota instead of Bobby in a heartbeat.

Sucky and Zorba like this.
  17. Prince Knut

As Tobes said (and i did last night), Barclay missed two sitters in the first half. We were lucky to go in at half time only 4-1 down. Think on that - lucky not to have gone in at half time 6-1 down. At Villa. <eek>

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  18. Darwinism

Darwinism Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more. I said last week that Mane was the one player we couldn’t do without . He creates goals and chances out of nothing. His work rate is prodigious and Jota is good but nowhere as good.

A word about the high line. It is dangerous when not every one is on their game against intelligent individuals like Grealish. A well made pass can cut across the defence and the quick striker has a huge space to run into. We have better be prepared against the bluenoses.

Prince Knut likes this.
  19. Prince Knut

There is nothing Grealish and Barclay did last night with those through balls and runs that James, Gomes and Richarlison are not capable of doing. Or indeed most teams in the Prem. Leeds were doing it in the first game - Chelsea and Arsenal chose mainly to defend, but Once Celebais (sp) came on in the second half, Arsenal were doing it too. That back line has become as crooked as a dog's hind leg, and what's more, when it's broken not one player, even Virgil, seems to want to chase back and not leave the decision to VAR.

Every team in the prem has the quality to rape that defence now. That's not an overreaction - just look back at the Leeds, Arsenal (second half) and Villa games.

Darwinism likes this.
  20. Jimmy Squarefoot

I love Mane but I think Salah is better IMO. Salah has started this season incredibly well - 5 goals and has created more chances than anyone in the league thus far.

With that said, both he and Mane are crucial to us. Bobby is the expendable one.

Zorba and THE FOOL like this.