1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Vote for a National Bird (feathered variety)

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Mar 16, 2015.

1. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Fantastic mate.
    Buzzards can do the hovering thing, much like kestrels, all be it in a much more clumsy way and not for as long.

My favourite birds of prey, Buzzards are wonderful. Mini Eagles, although pretty big in their own right.

2. rangercol

Frigs? Lol.

Many species, including birds, produce multiple young in order to guarantee the survival of some.

3. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Not this one
    https://9gag.com/gag/aee6QWQ

QPR999 and kiwiqpr like this.
  4. rangercol

Looks like a Hen Harrier.
    They can't take something that big.
    They're ground nesting and the Hare probably got too close.

5. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

6. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I saw what I think was a red kite yesterday. A seriously impressive sight.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  7. rangercol

Where was this?

8. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Over my house, I live in Eastcote.

9. rangercol

Yep. Not that far from where they were re-released near Stokenchurch.
    Huge, browny red with white patches, with a forked tail that it uses like a rudder.
    Tend to glide around on the thermals with few wingbeats.

Beautiful birds.

10. Shawswood

Shawswood Well-Known Member

Not a spectacular bird by any means but my current favourites have to be pied wagtails, a family of which happen to be hanging around my back garden at this time. Full of personality and remarkably calm and unfazed by my presence, they hop in tandem from a lined up series of footballs which my son placed a few inches apart, never taking their eyes off me as they do so, then off flitting about in search of flies I presume.

kiwiqpr, Uber_Hoop, rangercol and 2 others like this.

11. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

I had a peregrine falcon over the field here about a month ago. First one I've seen close, it was bigger than I expected (a lot bigger than the hobby that comes here to take dragonflies in the autumn). It was flying at tree height, at speed, in a straight line and it didn't once move its wings. It moved as if by magic!

We had a Little Owl on a tree stump yesterday, watching for voles in the long grass. The stump is often used by wood pigeons, and sure enough, a wood pigeon came along and virtually knocked the owl off its perch. The owl flew off. I was surprised to see something as docile as a pigeon intimidate a predator, albeit a small one.

Ninj, rangercol and Stroller like this.
  12. rangercol

A lot of it is due to size.
    The little owl wouldn't want to take on something the size of a pigeon unless it really had to.
    Any slight injury to a bird of prey normally means death.
    Fantastic spot seeing the Perigrine.
    They are quite big, but not always easy to spot.

Ninj and kiwiqpr like this.
  13. Goldhawk-Road

I saw the little owl again yesterday on the tree stump. It seems to have a time share with the pigeons! I hope it stays around.

Yes, I was really pleased about the peregrine. I've only seen one, once before, on cliffs on the coast above Exmoor. And that was from a distance. There are peregrines breeding on Chichester Cathedral 17 miles down the road. I don't know if it was one of those, or from another site.

Haven't seen any red kites so far this summer. Usually see a few passing through. This area doesn't suit them perhaps, unlike the area around the Chilterns where they are really numerous.

14. rangercol

That's where they were re-introduced. Well in excess of a 1000 breeding pairs. In fact, there's now talk of culling them which is tragic really.
    Mainly scavengers, they are taking more and more live stuff as the competition for food increases. Weak talons mean they can't take anything very big or heavy, but ducklings and small or baby birds are definitely on the menu.
    There are now more Perigrines in towns and cities than in the countryside.
    Didcot power station used to have a pair on the towers.

The little owl is a good spot too.

You seem to know your birds.

15. Goldhawk-Road

I've always been interested in birds, Col. We used to go to North Wales each year for holidays. This was the 1960's, and it was the only place I saw buzzards. There, unlike Sussex, they would wheal at great heights over the mountains. I agree with you they are a fabulous bird.

A great shame if they have to cull red kites. Again, a majestic bird, much more curious of human behaviour than the buzzard. You'd think they could trap them and release them elsewhere.

My view count on other birds this summer- one female redstart in May, I imagine travelling north after crossing the Channel. And five juvenile meadow pipits quite close to the house. I don't think the adults would come anywhere near.

16. rangercol

Far too many Kites to trap and release mate.
    The problem is people feeding them. People put stuff out to watch the spectacular sight of them swooping down, either onto a large bird table or the top of a shed.
    It's a magnificent sight.
    In the early days of their re-introduction the feeding caused problems because the birds weren't used to the process **** that was put out for them. This was especially harmful to the young birds and hindered their development.
    Over the years the birds have become more used to eating most things .
    The problem now is that there are so many of them, they are literally swooping down and taking food from people's hands, leading to injury caused by their sharp talons.
    It has become quite a problem and it's all due to people still insisting on feeding them.
    This means that the birds stay in the same vicinity where it's so easy to get food and stop spreading further afield.
    People have been told over and over not to feed them, but it happens all around where I live.

17. Goldhawk-Road

That's a great shame. I don't know what the answer is. Fine people for feeding them? I know that's used where huge amounts of food are put out by a misguided few which encourages vermin. The kites should be left to interract with nature imo. Only in the midst of a really harsh winter should humans step in to alleviate suffering, and then, only with a well thought out plan.

18. rangercol

Even then, we really shouldn't interfere.

19. Goldhawk-Road

I guess you're right. You can't treat large predators like garden birds

20. DT’s Socks

DT’s Socks Well-Known Member

Marsh Harrier for me in the U.K.
    In France it’s a toss between the Hoopoo on my roof regularly but the sight of a griffin vulture takes your breath away. A local goat lady who’s herd is down on my river beach most days says she loses kids all the time to these beautiful predators

Believe me they one big bird !

Goldhawk-Road likes this.