1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Villans V Canaries

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Aug 19, 2017.

?

Predict the result

1. Villans Win

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Canaries Win

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Stalemate

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

We haven't conceded 2 goals every game. A good 1-1 draw at Fulham and the 2-0 response against QPR suggests that the potential is there but the consistency isn't. I'm hoping that potential and consistency will come as players settle in during the coming weeks. Given the tough start we've had, I'm also willing to wait and see before judging. The remarks about 'vendettas against certain players' are particularly apt. We now have a run of 5 games with a good chance of points and form which could also bring confidence. Patience is the byword for now.

DHCanary and canary-dave like this.
  2. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I'm clinging to the stats from his Dort II side. They were extremely defensively resolute with only 25 conceded in 34 games. I hope that he can as a consequence get the defense together and stop us being quite so generous to the oposition. We must give it time, as alarming as the Sunderland and Villa rearguard capitulations have been we are still creating chances and scoring every game. With time and a cleaner bill of health for the squad, it may be possible to strike the right balance.
    I do agree though that his team selections have been odd and I really don't like the idea of us starting without any of; Maddison, Pritchard and Hoolihan, though it is also a lack of steel that is as likely to do for us in games like vs Villa as much as the removal of our main creative sparkes.

Bah!

DHCanary and carrowcanario like this.
  3. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

It's early days and provided Farke's improvement of individuals and the team is sustained then we are still in with a chance of promotion. We need to remember that a season is not over in the first few games particularly when 3 of the 4 teams we have played will be expecting to challenge for promotion unlike last season when we were equally poor early on despite playing much weaker teams. Last season it was clear by October from the performances of the team and the manager that we were not going to be in with a chance of promotion.

Moaning about injuries is unhelpful, particularly as in the grand scheme of things they aren't that bad and would serve no useful purpose.

The clock is ticking and Farke needs to start getting some results and that means being the best team of the only stat that matters, the final score not how much possession you have.

No doubt people will say be patience and so we should be, but patience is not an infinite commodity and has an expiry date. For some it may be a whole season for others a few months. I expect the derby depending on our performance (not the result) will be the first breaking point for many.

What we must not do is consol ourselves with the fact that Webber took 2 seasons to sort Huddersfield out, with them he started from a much lower point than we are at now. Indeed I would say as a club that despite Huddersfield lofty position in the PL we are still in a better place going forward, clearly Webber agrees with me, otherwise why else did he jump ship.

pottsy946 likes this.
  4. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Whats the matter with you lot? We are a few matches into a long season and you have a change at the top with the Huddersfield chap coming in, some new players to bed in, and a new manager, Christ if it was that easy to be instantly successful we would have every Club that changes its manager promoted at the first time of asking but we all know it doesn't work like that.
    You have a huge fan base and plenty of money coming in so back your man until its blatantly obvious hes not up to it but give him a chance.

ncgandy and KIO like this.
  5. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

No we conceded 4 last game -8 in 4 games = -2 on average which is relegation form.

6. DUNCAN DONUTS

I am giving him a chance , I am just concerned that with only 10 days left of the transfer window we don't have adequate strength in the full back positions.
    You would hope to have a left and right back able to cope at this level with 2 back up options.
    We don't.
    There are also question marks over Martin Franke and Zimmerman with Klose injured and the manager sometimes playing 3 centre backs we could use a big unit that knows how to head a ball.

4 points from 12 is not great but clearly we are a work in progress.

As this is our final parachute season we need to try and go back up or face losing what quality we have left as we don't have rich foreign owners like 95% of the other so called ambitious sides.

7. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

I'm sure Rick gets the maths, but whilst we've conceded two per game on average, we haven't actually conceded two each game. One away to Fulham isn't too shabby, and a clean sheet against QPR.
    Work to be done, for sure, but we've showed signs we are capable.

RiverEndRick and canary-dave like this.
  8. DUNCAN DONUTS

Ok -1 in 2 games which is terrific we won't mention the -7 in the other 2 <laugh>

9. ncgandy

Yes indeed. Not good enough as I said, but there are still signs we can keep it tight, just not often enough.

10. DUNCAN DONUTS

I'm not pissing my chinos I just want a few decent defenders in before September we are good enough up top .
    Trying to fix it in January cost us the last few seasons paying over the odds for players panicking to change our fortunes.

11. ncgandy

I'm glad to hear it. That was never a good look for you! :grin:

12. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Wow, it's so long since I left school, I never realised 4 + 2 = 7 ;)

13. General Melchett

It's early days and provided Farke's improvement of individuals and the team is sustained then we are still in with a chance of promotion. We need to remember that a season is not over in the first few games particularly when 3 of the 4 teams we have played will be expecting to challenge for promotion unlike last season when we were equally poor early on despite playing much weaker teams. Last season it was clear by October from the performances of the team and the manager that we were not going to be in with a chance of promotion.
    It's been a tough start but what worries me is that whilst the Point at Fulham was a good one agaist a side that will certainly be top half, possibly challenging for promotion, we have played 2 other sides who we might expect to be at the top end, Villa and Sunderland (Most thought they would struggle) and like last season we have got little change out of the supposedly better sides. Early days but it feels like a contiuation of our soft under belly. Too early to say one way or another but it is difficult to imagine us being in the promotion shake up on evidence so far. Plenty of time for that to change and it could, but I'm not so sure it will.
    Moaning about injuries is unhelpful, particularly as in the grand scheme of things they aren't that bad and would serve no useful purpose.
    Whilst injuries haven't been helpful it is serving to highlight that our squad is a bit thin on quality and numbers in places
    The clock is ticking and Farke needs to start getting some results and that means being the best team of the only stat that matters, the final score not how much possession you have.
    It would be good if we could even master the possession stats, QPR bested us for that and look where it got them!
    No doubt people will say be patience and so we should be, but patience is not an infinite commodity and has an expiry date. For some it may be a whole season for others a few months. I expect the derby depending on our performance (not the result) will be the first breaking point for many.
    My patience doesn't have any perscribed date, it will continue as long as progress either seems evident or possible. As soon as you lose belief that we can make progress with the management team then you're buggered. If we are still scratching around for points in the lower reaches by the time derby day comes around and then lose then for many it maybe too much to bare. I personnal see every derby as the reverse of what you have said, the result is all that matters, the performance, even if good in losing will not be well received.
    What we must not do is consol ourselves with the fact that Webber took 2 seasons to sort Huddersfield out, with them he started from a much lower point than we are at now. Indeed I would say as a club that despite Huddersfield lofty position in the PL we are still in a better place going forward, clearly Webber agrees with me, otherwise why else did he jump ship.
    Agree with that for the main, it's hard to think that we are better placed with them ridding high in the PL, but with a Cat A academy that finally seems to be baring some fruit and a bigger fanbase overall we might edge it, if they stay up, I reckon Wagner could move on to bigger things and from there, their size could catch up with them. Long term it is hard to see them being any better placed to yoyo or stay in the PL than us. That said money is king and in 5 years they could still be in the PL or yoyoing whilst we languish potless in the championship. Who knows?

Bah!

14. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is saying he doesn't deserve a chance and I'm not sure anyone is seriously unhappy, I'm certainly not. But equally I don't think he has a blank cheque although there are several on here who will back him and the club to the point of delusion just like they did last season with AN. For me he has plenty of time, provided the improvement is steady and we continue to move in the right direction, however he wont get everything right and surely the point of the forum is to discuss how things develop.

15. General Melchett

Stop talking sense and get back to petty squabbling this is an online forum you know!

Bah!

fieldmarshall and JM Fan like this.
  16. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Just reading that Basil is out for tomorrow night and Jerome has a knock - that means Watkins or Wildschut up top I would think. We look short on striker options imo so perhaps we might spend some of the available cash (38p at last count) on another striker mayhap ??

JM Fan likes this.
  17. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Does the 38p include wages? ;)

18. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Errr...... no.

Edit : "OTBC" to be replaced by "Buddy, can you spare me a dime" .....

JM Fan likes this.
  19. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd rather see Josh play as a striker, ideally one of two. Wildschut is more useful on the flank delivering balls in for him / them to profit from?

20. DUNCAN DONUTS

So 4 games into the season with Nelson starting just once and both our strikers are injured/carrying knocks ?
    We are forced into playing midfielders out of position already?
    Mmmmmmm .
    Who plays full back if Husband and Martin get injured or suspended ?

:huh:
    Bare bones before the Summer transfer window shuts and a long grueling season ahead.

JM Fan likes this.