1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Villa line up 7 million bid for spiderman?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintsFanAlex, Jan 3, 2012.

1. sfc94

sfc94 Member

Schneiderlin is a very good player and it would not surprise me if Premier League clubs want him but unless Schneiderlin would want to leave, I expect Cortese would not sell him for any price

2. SFCbwSFC

SFCbwSFC Member

This is from the football rumour site. Please do not believe anything you read on it, its the most unreliable source out there. It's quite comical to read some of the stories that people think up, but they do come out with all sorts of rubbish.

3. jacksk1

jacksk1 Well-Known Member

Yes, he's technically gifted in that he can spray a pass from one side of the pitch to the other but does his technical ability really have as much impact on a game as it should? I don't remember a prolonged spell in the team for him where you can say he was a key member. I mean, just look at Chaplow's run in the team earlier this season. Now he is nowhere near as technically gifted as Morgan but his impact on games was most definately more noticeable and I'm sure you'd agree that our recent slump has at least a little to do with Chaplow's absence.

OK, I guess Morgan may have had the confidence sapped out of him a bit in that Championship relegation season but he really should have been to the fore during the two seasons in League One much like Lallana has been after coming into the side at roughly the same time.

I know people keep banging on about how he has huge potential and that this will all come to fruition when we reach the Premiership but he has been a first team squad member for 4 or 5 seasons now and as a central midfielder I just think that he should take games by the scruff of the neck much more than he does at the moment (and chip in with a few more goals...!!).

4. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

He is not really the type of player to "take games by the scruff of the neck", and the fact that he can spray a pass from one side of the pitch to the other is the whole basis of his game. He sits deep and switches play, and moves the ball over large distances accurately. He plays in a similar way to Xabi Alonso and I think we would miss him if he was sold. He is also a player who I thought throughout our time in L1 that he would play better in the Prem than he does in a lower league, and I still think that he would be better in the Prem than in the Championship.

5. jacksk1

jacksk1 Well-Known Member

Using Alonso as an example sort of backs up my point - when he was at Liverpool he was always an influence on the game and when he was sold they struggled (and to an extent, still are) without him. When Morgan is missing from the starting XI do we miss him in the same was as say Lallana or Lambert (or even Chaplow these last few weeks)?

I guess part of this is that I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet at the moment with the centre of midfield as my opinion is that neither Schneiderlin, Cork or Hammond seem to be stepping up to the plate in recent weeks.

6. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I think we do miss him as he moves the ball quickly and accurately therefore changing the focus of the attack in an instant where other players take that little bit longer to do so.

7. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

He's a brilliant player. Very much a string puller in midfield, not an impact player, not a "scruff of the neck" player but someone who keeps play very smooth and plays the kind of passes that get attacks going. He'll never be a 10 goal, 20 assist midfielder but in coming years he'd be a vital part at the heart of the team.

8. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Very much looking forward to Mr Godwyn's response to this......

9. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

this! his posts i always look forward to

10. Saint Birdsnest

Saint Birdsnest Active Member

I'm one of Schneiderlin's biggest fans, I think he's great, but ultimately he's not being selected in the first team on a particularly regular basis, and 7m is a lot of money....
    But where on earth did you see this anyway? Google News hasn't got anything at all about it....

11. Kegm Saint

Kegm Saint Member

£7 million for him, i'd happily take £5 million. I like spiderman but i find him too predictable. also he never goes forward he's always sidewards or backwards, its starting to bug me, but maybe thats because nigel was playing him on the right wing for some god awful reason? he's a good player for us, but i wouldnt say he's a key player. my favourite centre mid pairing is chaplow and hammond.

12. Matthew Le God

Out of all the possible combinations that would be the lowest on my list. Cork and Schneiderlin are the best two players out of the four, both will likely go on to have good top flight careers. I don't think the same can be said of Hammond or Chaplow.

13. SuperSchneid

SuperSchneid Well-Known Member

Nooo i love Morgan top lad :(

14. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I was gonna say the same thing. No doubt Cork and Schneiderlin will have the two best careers.

15. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Agreed - but, do the best players make the best team...not always in my football manual I borrowed, as written by Joey B

<laugh>

16. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with most of what you've written. I go home and away and apart from the odd occasion struggle to see why he is such a favourite here. I'm not on here to criticise Morgan, it's more about the posters who see a star player where I can't. People were saying last season that Div 1 wasn't right for him because it was too physical now I see comments saying he will thrive in the Premiership. It's as if we're as good as there when in truth we are a long way off. What we need right here and now are players that will get us out of this division and from what I've seen, Hammond and Chaplow are better equiped to do that than Morgan.

17. Channon walked on H2O

Channon walked on H2O Active Member

I'd take £70m if Carroll is worth £35m!

I have never understood the Schneiderlin critics. He is an absolute class act. He also comes across as a very bright lad. If he goes he will surely only go if assured of first team Premiership experience - and if he can wait a few months he might get that at SFC where he has already shown commitment and loyalty.

18. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I go to both home and away too, and couldn't disagree with you more. For a start Morgan has been played in the wrong position most of the season. Playing on the wing doesn't suit him at all. Then soon as he gets moved into the middle he plays a blinder. Granted against Bristol he wasn't good but who was?.

You have to remember he is still only young and hasn't hardly been given a chance. With Adkins prefering Hammond and Cork. Morgan is a class player and can only get better. Give him a chance to shine in his right position before judging him.

19. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Member

Spiderman is one of our most gifted players and if we were to get to the PL then he will become an instrumental player for us. Reason being because he will find a lot more space when he drops deep to take the ball of the defence, like he did against palace and utd in the cup thus enabling him to strut his stuff. I personally would see it as a huge loss if we sold him.

20. SaintJabie

SaintJabie Active Member

Certainly, it would be a loss. Do we have any nippers coming through that could replace him?