1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VG: Football is more boring under JM

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by CFC: Champs £launderx17, Dec 12, 2017.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Ran his socks of in the Dortmund team, it's in him to do it.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, when they have two difficult games a season!

Ok, that may be a bit of a cliche but he does seem to shrink from view in difficult premier league games, which is more or less all of them.

luvgonzo likes this.
  3. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

So does Lukaku <ok>

bulletinthehead likes this.
  4. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

To compete at the top of the table you need a world class number 10, and if your paying 28 million for a guy who's 27-28, then your not gonna get a top class one in today's market.

So rather than spending 90 million on Lukaku, when we already have forwards who are better than him he should have invested more in that position.

Having said that I do still feel that given the opportunities Mata is still a class act in the position(a lot better than Mkitaryan). I know if we had got Pep instead of Mourinho, Mata wouldnt be sat on the bench every week.

cytrax likes this.
  5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I would agree with all that. Miki may well be a good player in the right side with the right manager but right now he's not right for you I think he'll go back to Germany.

Lukaku is good at what he does but Kane should have been the one you went for imo. Glad you didn't.

6. Wahl Icht..

Wahl Icht.. New Member

oh yeah, I totally know that, but the final result was 6-1 and must have been way more humiliating than last weekend. I was just trying to say that there was no reason to get so upset about losing to city since, well, it happens! Even to someone no Man Utd fan would ever criticise.

7. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the results against City must always be taken in the context of the season as a whole. It wasn't a major problem in 11/12 because we were so close to City, and whilst that game was battering we were right up with them for the rest of the season.

That's the problem most of our fans have - not only did City outplay us at home, but they also have been a way ahead of us in terms of performance, attacking intent and character for most of the season, and they are not the only ones to outplay us. In another season yes, we might only be five points off 1st with 35 points at this stage. But in another season we might also have 40 odd points after 16 games, given how easily we could have beaten Liverpool and got a result against Huddersfield with better performances.

That's the major problem - how much we have played within ourselves and failed to get results consistently in the PL thus far this season. We seem unable to string a strong run of form together under Mourinho. As Chief said in the Bournemouth thread, based on recent form we are likely to struggle tonight rather than putting together the kind of thumping win that could act as a springboard for winning the next seven or eight games and starting to close the gap.

gav81 likes this.
  8. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

The 6-1 game was more a case of us not accepting defeat with 10 men. We tried to have a go at City with 10 men at 3-1 down, and ended up taking a hiding.

To get back into the title race, as at the moment it is a title stroll in the park for City, we would have to from now go on a 10-15 game winning run, which would probably get us within striking distance for the run in.

I personally don't see that happening, and think we are more likely to continue the same up and down form we've had most of the season. Only time we looked impressive was very early on when we'd played no one.

Christiansmith likes this.
  9. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

I heard Barca only scored one goal more than us this season .. how is we are boring then? I think our form is effected heavily when Pogba not playing and losing the balance

10. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

These results happen.

Currently City are way ahead of everyone. People seem to forget that Moyes took us backwards. And LVG with his soporific possession football and poor buys no better. And on current form I can't see us catching City.

As long as we are making progress we should be happy. In any other season, we'll probably be challenging for the title. We wasted lots of games at home last season when we drew. We couldn't score and we couldn't keep a lead. Now we are better. No doubt about that. Those who said we are in a false position because we've played no one are shutting up because after 17 matches, united would have played most of the big teams.

For me, a good season now would be second in the league (no point crying about City when they are clearly the best team in England possibly in Europe) and as far as we can get past the Q/F of the CL. And then regroup and improve the squad so that we can challenge for the title. Whether it will be under JM we'll have to see.

HRH Custard VC likes this.

11. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Exactly, the 6-1 defeat wasn't symptomatic of the season or manager, whereas the weekend result certainly was.

12. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

Jose Style is not boring .. it is more like Sir Alex style .. they attack with purpose .. under LVG we were just passing ball around .. I think we are more direct under Jose

Diego likes this.
  13. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Only sheep come out with the boring/bus park ****. We are joint 2nd top scorers, only behind the "unbelievable" City and level with the "free flowing fab 4" of Liverpool.
    God help the league if Jose ever takes the handbrake off the bus :grin:

Shwan71 likes this.
  14. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Goal count doesn't reflect playstyle. Whilst it's possible to score through possession based, free flowing, attacking football, it's also possible through conceding possession, keeping tight and capitalising on opponent mistakes. Guess which system is Jose's modus operandi?

This is why, despite the goals, of the 'big six' teams, we have spent the most time in our defensive third and the least time in the attacking third. We have had the least shots, least possession of the ball, made the least passes and have the lowest passing accuracy. We have made the most defensive interceptions though.

None of that is because our players are below those of the other 'big six' teams. It's simply the defensive nature of Jose. It doesn't take a sheep to see it.

I agree, God help the league if the shackles are taken off the attacking talent in our squad, but it won't be under Jose.

15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Do you have the same stats for SAFs years because we were a very counter attack based team then too.

16. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Counter attack was one string to our bow under Fergie, not like now where it's almost the entirety of our game plan in the big matches.

In Fergie's last season (not our best) we had the third highest shots on target and fourth highest possession. We put in the most crosses and were only considerably beaten on number of passes by Arsenal, though we had the highest passing accuracy.

Here are our possession stats in the head to head games this season compared to Fergie's last season...

Liverpool (a) 17/18 38% 12/13 48%
    Tottenham (h) 17/18 45% 12/13 74%
    Chelsea (a) 17/18 46% 12/13 51%
    Arsenal (a) 17/18 25% 12/13 48%
    City (h) 17/18 35% 12/13 45%

There's no comparison, our possession and attacking stats are consistently down.

Even in the Arsenal match we won, we only had the ball for 20 odd minutes in the whole game whilst Arsenal attacked for the other 70 odd minutes. I can't find another match where United have ever had lower possession.

I wouldn't mind if we were underdogs but we're not, it's down to Jose. Anyone aware of his 7 rules to football knows that: -

1 The game is won by the team who commits fewer errors.

2 Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition.

3 Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it’s better to encourage their mistakes.

4 Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.

5 Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake.

6 Whoever has the ball has fear.

7 Whoever does not have it is thereby stronger.

http://www.givemesport.com/787641-j...es-of-football-wont-work-at-manchester-united

It's all about defending well and allowing the other team possession, the polar opposite to a possession based attacking team (like Pep's sides).

That is why Jose has earnt his boring/defensive tag which has now unfortunately been imposed on United.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  17. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Brilliant! A United fan claiming Jose is as attacking as Saf

18. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Do you struggle to read?
    I asked a question, never claimed anything :huh: