1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Wimbledon

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Sep 14, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I totally forgot to do a match thread last week in my excitement. Not so excited this week as it is another stay at home and watch my computer screen and sky news.

So we are up against the leagues top scorers and we have what we think is our best defence in a couple of seasons. Which will give first do you reckon. We have proved we can score goals as well as most other teams this season so far and our defence has been pretty decent so I do think we can win this one even if it will be tough. Not totally confident but quietly optimistic is how I would put it.

COYG

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Upside down world if the Wombles are the leagues top scorers.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Scored 15 but have let in 12.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Jordan Garrick starts. Joe Edwards nig in the squad.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Grant, Galloway, Scarr, Wilson, Garrick, Broom, Houghton, Camara, Jephcott, Hardie.

Subs.....Burton, Gillesphey, Agard, Randell, Law, Tomlinson, Shirely.

No Edwards.....we'll miss him.......Also no Mayor in the squad....bench not looking so strong this week.

I'll be unable to follow this game this afternoon unfortunately....Guests arriving spot on 3pm.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not much to shout about in the first half 0 - 0 HT.

7. notDistantGreen

Very slow start from Argyle with Wimbledon making chances in the first quarter. Poor marking of their CBs at dead balls noted by the commentators: our biggest not always matching up with their biggest. Wimbledon making most headway down Argyle's right: not so much Edwards absence as Wimbledon getting an overload down that side with 3 attacking midfielders up against Houghton. These things can be fixed at half time.

In with the second quarter however Argyle have come into it a bit more without making clear chances.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

0 - 1 Hardie

9. notDistantGreen

Hardie's pace burns the Wimbledon defence. He gets to a Wilson through ball and slots home in front of the travelling Green Army.

10. notDistantGreen

Wimbledon now melting down. Throwing themselves to the ground and berating the referee.

11. notDistantGreen

Oh my goodness. Not just pace. Hardie puts both the goalkeeper and the last defender onto their bottoms before tapping into an empty net.

12. notDistantGreen

Four substitutions makes 2 mins of added time. Where have the other 6 come from?

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

PHEW!!!!!! That will do nicely.

14. notDistantGreen

See what having a defence does for you?

What a result. What a gutsy performance.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Wow just seen the result....Hardie in the 47th minute.......and without Edwards as well plus no Mayor on the bench either.

Some crazy results today....makes the prediction league just a joke.....only 4pts for me....and 3 of those were from the last match phew.

16. notDistantGreen

Great goal. He sits the keeper and last defender down with 2 changes of direction. Such arrogance, such confidence.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the video......good goal....looked a pretty hectic game.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Sssshhhhh! Whisper it quietly lest the crash hears you.

Have to say I sat on the edge of my seat for the second half just waiting for the score to change. It changed all over league one but not this one. Portsmouth to lose at home to Cambridge? Sheff Wed to draw at home with Shrewsbury?

19. notDistantGreen

I've been watching the full replay.

The first 25 minutes weren't as bad as I'd imagined from the radio commentary . Yes, Wimbledon came out of the blocks strongly but you'd expect that. They'd started the season well and were at home. The chances they made were more of the slight stiffening of the sinews variety than a burying the head in a cushion type though.

Wimbledon weren't happy with Argyle's gamesmanship in the second half. Whilst they may not be the Wimbledon of old, no more lumping the ball up to a giant centre forward, they still have a significant dose of the dark arts. Their No. 10 Assal started diving from the kick off and, full marks fir consistency, kept it up throughout. The referee did well to resist the mobbing he endured and he certainly compensated for alleged time wasting with 6 minutes of extra time over and above the 2 minutes for substitutions.

Wimbledon had the territorial advantage throughout but Argyle defended stoutly and Cooper was severely tested just the once. In fact, apart from the goal, Argyle probably had the next best chance in a first half goal mouth scramble and clearance off the line. We didn't dominate but looked rather more dangerous on the break than Wimbledon did for all their huff and puff.

Wimbledon will claim daylight robbery but I'd describe it as a classic away performance and I'll take aa many of those as possible please.

The fans made Michael Cooper man of the match. That gives the impression he was under seige and he wasn't I'd have gone for any of the back 3 or particularly Camara or Broom who were both immense.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I watched the goals on Quest today having recorded it last night. It certainly was a good goal and it was quite funny to see the defender and keeper on their respective backsides. The panel of pundits all laxed lyrical about Argyle and one singled out Cooper as a rising star and one who has improved immensely with experience. They also compared last seasons defence with this one and basically there is no comparison. Described Argyle as a "dark horse". That should feck everything up then.......