1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Shrewsbury

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 19, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Talk about grudging. Erm 3 teams who are doing well? Argyle are 8th with a plus goal difference and 2 clean sheets out of 4 games. Forgive me but I call that not too shabby. Go on try again but this time just loosen up and let yourself go a bit more...................don't worry you'll get there eventually.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Let me give you a clue.

Nil

Three

Away

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If you took the score off the screen and showed somebody the bare stats from this game you would probably have to admit that 3 - 0 wouldn't be your first thought. But as I always say stats never won a game anyway. From what I've read, and I think it is fair to say mostly from pro Argyle writers, we not only were worth a 3 - 0 win but some suggest it could have been more. A startling fact seems to be emerging that our Defence is indeed a Defence. What a strange thing to happen. Next they will be reporting that our strikers are striking. Oh hang on 4 each for the two up front so far. Hmmm!! I think we have been taken over by Aliens.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

..........and just imagine how good we might be when wonder man Mayor returns.....who will be the unlucky one to have to give way for him.

5. notDistantGreen

I think Broom will keep his place. He's come in and played very very well from the start. He doesn't have Mayor's luxurious skills but he's more direct and you might say more effective.

6. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes I agree over that.....but could they play together......would it mean Duracell Bunny would be dropped.....he is so good at robbing the ball off of players who didn't know what was happening till it was too late....he just needs to steady himself in front of goal.....even then he scores more goals/assists than Mayor ever does.

7. notDistantGreen

Both Broom and Mayor are predominantly left sided - or they have been at Argyle. I think Camara's safe... if only he could improve his finishing.

8. notDistantGreen

Watched this this afternoon as is now my wont.

To be honest, not a lot in it. Shrewsbury play mostly on the ground but to two light-heaviweight strikers. Despite their bulk, our depleted back line wasn't really bothered.

They had a couple of near things: a scuffed shot in the first half that curled past the far post by good defensive judgement or good luck and a flat fast cross or shot that hit the outer edge of the woodwork.

The difference was in the final third or maybe just the penalty box. The anonymous striker I will refer to as RH, of no use to any other club, was unplayable.

Very even to start, indeed into the second half, but as the score crept up, Shrewsbury gradually fell apart into a fractious, frustrated mess and ended well beaten.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The anonymous striker is a really deceptive player when I've seen him play. He doesn't look as if he has any speed and even seems a bit slow at times but clearly he has all the pace he needs and he isn't that slow in reality. I watched the goals today and reran them a few times over just for good measure. His first goal he moved the ball on, ran on, took a pass from Jephcott and they almost in slow motion touched it on and placed it in the corner of the net. You can't call it 100 miles an hour stuff but on the same side of the coin none of the opposition got near him. Second goal and he outpaced their defender having just nudged it past. Again not the fastest goal you will see but the defender, once passed, didn't get anywhere near back to him. He often goes through on goal so that isn't a fluke.

10. notDistantGreen

Couple of points I forgot to make.

Hardie made the final pass for Jephcott's goal, so it's two goals and an assist.

Michael Cooper's distribution seems to have come on by leaps and bounds. Found players close to the half way line by kicking and throwing on several occasions.