1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Peterborough

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 22, 2018.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Put the cake away 1-5

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

2. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Annoyed them.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1-5...F/T.....not good.....both centre backs taken off....but makes no difference....just leaking goals.....and no forward able to score...down to Edwards for our goal.

4. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Have to take it out on Pompey now:emoticon-0110-tongu

5. notDistantGreen

Well thoroughly depressed. Second half against Wycombe was diabolical and now we've thrown this away with individual errors early on putting us on the back foot.

There are rumours too that Reuben Lameiras left the ground before kick off, presumably having not seen his name on the team sheet.

What now Mr Adams?

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Started to read pasoti match comments....pages of it...gave up after two pages of depressing reports.

Ok so lets look at the Sky video....I wish I hadn't bothered....I've never ever seen Argyle play so inept....no understanding of each other....no confidence in doing the basics....giving the ball directly to a posh player twice...bang, bang....two nil down....posh players running freely through our defence at will and missing some really easy goals as well.
    Not sure about the penalty...Carey seemed to have succeeded in not infringing the posh player...but he goes down...penalty ?

We seemed to have split up a reasonably successful side....and brought in players that cannot do the basics right....I don't know where Adams goes with these defenders....so poor....both central defenders replaced because they had no idea what they were doing.

We played none league teams for most of pre-season....what did that achieve ?....when we played a league team...Yeovil....we got taken apart...did that not sound a warning....obviously not.
    What do they do during training...it ain't obvious from what we have seen today.....how on earth can we turn this around....have we got the coaching staff to get this lot sorted out.....I'm not sure we have....can Stuart O'Keefe make any difference....<doh>.....:headbang:.

7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

An invitation to Lyndhurst. Go on put some sort of upbeat spin on this one then.

Argyle were worse than poor for most of the match. If you look at the beeb stats then it doesn't look like it but those stats lie in this case. The defense were terrible and looked like they had never played before. All of them not just one of them. It looks like Macey had a bad game but the truth is he stood little chance from the start. We were 2 down before be blinked because of simple mistakes. We were lucky it was only 2. Argyle were slow in every department and Peterborough looked like a premiership outfit in comparison. Quick and closed us down easily and every time. Midfield were not in it and because there was no support the front person was isolated and chasing shadows most of the time.

Make no mistake we were taken apart. Said on Tuesday if we had been playing a better side we would have been beaten by a cricket score and sure enough we were well on our way to one of them here. If they had taken some very easy chances then the score would have been far far worse. We on the other hand huffed and puffed in front of goal but hardly looked much like scoring anything. I wish I could say something positive but can't. I sincerely wish I had stayed home this time.

Sarginson. The man is a complete joke. I hate thinking of a Ref as a cheat but today the man came close. I would say that the result was little to do with him so this isn't an attempt as an excuse. He gave us nothing from the start. At 2 - 0 down Grant was barged in the back and fouled in the box. We, that is me and friends had a perfect view and it was a nailed on penalty. He waved it away. Not long after there was a hand ball in the area. That was no different to a free kick he gave in the middle of the park. Not this time though he waved it away. In fact he waved pretty much everything away when it was us. Their player dived. It was a pretty obvious dive for me and he took a nano second and pointed to the spot. Absolutely shocking performance and he should be kicked out. As said the overall result wasn't down to him but he well and truly pee'd off the green army.

I missed the argyle goal because I had walked out before it was scored. Also missed the fifth for them. Wish I'd missed the whole game.

8. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

I missed my slice of fruit cake if makes you feel better. Lol!

9. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Better off sticking with last seasons players and put new ones on bench for starters anyway.
    We were underdogs and suppose to play better according to DA.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  10. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Just watched highlights? a stroll in the Park for Boro!

11. notDistantGreen

I don't know what starting 11 Adams had in his mind while the squad was being assembled.

Presumably he had no control over Bradley or Threlkeld leaving.

We were all pretty sanguine about Bradley going as we thought that sort of player is relatively easy to replace. Maybe, maybe not but the new pairing will take time to gel. It looks like Edwards should be one of them which presumably means Canavan is the other as he plays on the left.

We worried enough the loss of Threlkeld's athleticism but he's brought in two full backs who get up and down the pitch well enough. Whether we're strong enough to let the full backs bomb on is another question.

Amongst the rest of last season's first 11, Carey, Lameiras and Fox were important creative forces but they seem to have lost form simultaneously. That's a huge blow.

I like the look of Lapado. Quick, hard working, and a better runner with the ball than Taylor. Looks like a complete pain in the proverbial to play against. Taylor too looked up for the fight when he came on against Wycombe. I'd like to see both of them in the side but how?

All in all, I don't think all is lost but I think we need to go back into that defensive 4:5:1 that got us back on track last year. Songo'o in a holding midfield role in front of the back 4, maybe Carey quarter backing in front of him, Taylor and Lapado in the attacking part.

12. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The starting back line should be Edwards and Sawyer in the middle. The other 2 were like a pair of amateurs who hadn't ever played there before. Sawyer isn't supposed to be a center back but he would be better than those 2. Moore and Smith-Brown were average yesterday. They get forward a lot but get caught by quick counter attacks. We fell for the same move over and over yesterday. Move breaks down, they play ball down the middle or wide to a player who set off 10 minutes before and we are left chasing shadows. It's what we used to do. Now we get ball, play it all over the place and end up with the back 2 passing it to the keeper who punts it up the park because he has been closed down. Carey gets ball, runs about a bit with it and instead of doing what he did last season and have a shot he passes it badly. The problem is I can't see it getting any better even though I'm praying I'm wrong. Next up Portsmouth. Fecking God help us with that one then. And please don't say "this is the sort of game Argyle win" because we tried that with Peterborough and look what happened there.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Have any of you been checking out each week... neilz5419 and his quite detailed 'Tactical analysis' of each match on pasoti.

His pictures of player positions on the pitch and detailed analysis of why and what is happening is eye opening and backed up Derek Adams assessment of what went wrong.

It showed up Niall Canavan and Scott Wootton poor positioning and terrible ball distribution and also Matt Macy poor distribution which directly led to Peterborough scoring two early goals. The centre backs also have no speed to get back into position....especially when the full backs have moved up and aren't available to support them. Even Yann Songo'o was taken off later on because he was unable to protect in front of the defence.

It doesn't bode well when players cannot play to the system that the manager has set out....and Peterborough had speedy players to take advantage of those mistakes.

Adams has yet to try Peter Grant in defence ...looking at his record and experience might be the reason why ....a few seasons at Falkirk and then released might be the answer why he is untried as yet.

The only natural goal scorer in the team is Graham Carey from mid-field who at present isn't really performing....so goals look hard to find in this team without the defence playing at being sieves.

Long gone the day since we had Reuban Reid or my hero Bradley Wright- Phillips both goal getters in our starting line up.

14. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Perhaps the manager should then adapt to a system that fits well with the players at his disposal?

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If that's the case we're sunk.....Adams brings in players that have been getting over injuries or been released by their previous club....and generally gets the best out of them....now if they don't respond to that they're going to have a very long time between games...it's worked up to now.

16. notDistantGreen

Just watched the 10 minute highlights. Shocking defending by the CB's and also the FB's. The first two goals were caused by us giving the ball away but both were scored from the edges of the box. Not a FB in sight for either of them.

If the FB's are going to push forward then the midfield has to compensate.....

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We've complained in the past that our full backs aren't up to overlapping and helping the attack.....but these two need shackling a little so that they don't expose our not so mobile CB's....plus the fact that Songo'o was unable to protect them....he isn't quick enough.....and of course Peterborough had the players to rip them apart.

I see that Bradley has started the last three games for Luton....only a sub for the first two.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I've looked at the penalty incident a few times and I thought Carey did very well to avoid contact.....but the eagle eyed Ref didn't agree and pointed straight to the penalty spot.
    This is the same Ref I believe who last year didn't notice a ball boy being abused in front of his eyes....I can only assume that since last year he's been to Specsavers and purchased a very good pair of glasses.

19. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Not going to try and put a positive spin on it Sensible because we were played off the park. I thought that Peterborough are a good team and we didn't turn up. I genuinely think that player for player we are a better team then last season. Both full backs and Conor Grant are talented footballers who will come good. DA needs to work out his best CB pairing - for me it it RT and NC. I am more worried about where the goals are going to come from. GC is a long way from his best and without him 'on song' we struggle.
    I am less worried than I was last season, and feel sure that in a few weeks we will gel and start playing to our potential.

20. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Oh and although Chris Sarginson didn't give us anything and has yet to referee a home victory for PAFC I thought he got most key incidents correct. It was a penalty to them - I was about 20 yards away. Thought we should have had a pen for the handball (based on Jamie Ness' YC the previous week) but otherwise he didn't do as badly as some would think. The result was completely down to the far better side winning and not the ref.