1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Oldham

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Jervis comes on and scores straight away...4-1......dizzy heights for Argyle.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Jervis responds to being dropped by coming off the bench and scoring within 1 minute with a shot from outside the box. Another assist from Taylor.

3. notDistantGreen

Ironically, given other results, we;re back in the bottom 4!!

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Walsall peg Rochdale back...who now drop below Argyle again.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Excellent result...thought we'd park the bus at 2-0 in six minutes...but no we didn't....does that mean Adams has changed his philosophy on being defensive and nicking a goal.....four goals in one match....I thought it would never happen.....22 goals in 23 matches an improvement....half-way mark now reached.

6. notDistantGreen

It's not all about Adams.

Taylor's back and Carey had a stormer today He's played a single striker and had Songo'o on in the defensive midfield role for 90 mins which is a thing he's often criticised for, but we've scored 4.

It's about the players too.

7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Interesting team selection; great performance (helped by being 2 up in 10 mins) 2 refs; 4 goals; big crowd and out of the relegation zone. Happy Christmas! Nothing much to add really. All the players did well - not sure who I would give the MOTM award to, Foxy? Ry Taylor? Gaz Sawyer ? probably any of the 11. 4 points off 12th position and 7 off the bottom- seems like things have changed very quickly. The January window will no doubt be challenging but am sure there will be some good news as well as some disappointments.

8. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Top 6 is possible.... easily.. we had the bad half of the season.. :emoticon-0145-shake

9. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry but Carey did not have a stormer. Carey did what Carey does this season. He had some very good moments and some less than average moments throughout the game. He is far too casual for his own good. Sometimes he thinks he is unbeatable and gets lax with his touch and passes. He didn't have a bad game but it was not MOM stuff.

This was a comprehensive win for us today. It is not as if Oldham are a bad side either and they played some decent football at times. Their defence leaves a bit to be desired and their keeper is probably the worst one I've seen here for a while. That's their downfall because going forwared they aren't bad at all. Today we played an attacking game and it worked very well as the score shows. It was most unlike Adams and the line-up was a bit of a shock before kick off. Adams please take note that you tried something different and it worked a lot better than most of this season's tactics so far.

We went one up and still went for it. Shortly followed by a second and even then we still didn't sit back as we have been doing. We could have had 5 in the first half easily and some of the attempts were harder to miss than score but we managed to do the difficult. Second half and they pressed a bit more and eventually got their goal. Now if we were on a normal Saturday we would have sat back in our own box and hoped. We didn't and a 2 goal lead was restored in short time. Then came number 4 and the green army were ecstatic for once. Great buzz in the ground today. I hope we keep this up now and don't revert to the defensive crap we've been dishing out previously. My MOM today is a hard choice but I would actually give it to Taylor. Even though he didn't score he was very good. Challenged, caused problems for their back line, won the ball and held it up and passed when needed. Two assists were pretty good as well. We needed him back

10. notDistantGreen

Adams has said in the paper that he spotted that Oldham were warming up as a back 3 and changed our formation to more of a 4:3:3 than a 4:5:1, hence the carnage in the Oldham final third at the start of the game.

Anyway, well done to everyone. Scoring 4 at home seems like a turning point. Upward hopefully!

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I've seen three versions of Diagouraga's goal and I find it hard to understand how the linesman allowed it...he looked off-side....but there didn't seem to be much complaining....it was the wrong end for sensible to be in line with it....what do others think.

12. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

And whooped the Latics we did....very nice Xmas present. Enjoy Christmas guys and looking forward to the next game!