1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Northampton

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just been brave enough to watch the Video of the match......lucky to get away with only 2-0.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Think it might be over for Pompey after today but it still isn't over for us. Tuesday will be a defining game. Lose that one and the writing will be on the wall. We need to win the games in hand which is still possible but I'd say only if Taylor comes back. Think today's performance was the disappointing thing.

3. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Just back from my magical mystery tour with the Senior Greens , yes we were second best all over the park but that was mainly due to NTFC clearly wanting and needing it more than us. Pasoti has as usual gone into completely irrational meltdown. Will still have a decent chance of making the play offs- we may not;, but 4 months ago we were staring relegation in the face. All of a sudden it is the Chairman and the managers fault that we have only taken 1 point from the last 6!
    I genuinely don't care what happens between now and the end of the season- it has been a good one and we will almost certainly exceed expectations.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Charlton deserve their success this week.....winning away at Shrewsbury and Portsmouth....we can still do it into the play-offs if we win our games in hand....Ryan Taylor is being missed badly at the moment and we need him for Rochdale....will he be available or not ?

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

pasoti always goes into meltdown with the swings and roundabouts of games. Either we are off to Europe in the next Champions league final or we are heading for conference South and oblivion. I agree Lyndie I couldn't care much if we go up or not this season. It has been one of interest and peaks and troughs throughout. we have gone from almost despair to euphoria in a short time. I do hope though that the side keeps it going for a bit longer if we aren't to make it. It is bound to seem a bit flat if it just fades away.

I find some clubs take on the season quite funny. Comments on the Pompey board about having Sunderland in the league to take the pressure off themselves because they are another big fish that everyone will want to beat. Hands up those that think Pompey are a big fish..................I think whoever the side are all clubs will want to beat all other clubs. That's the name of the game. I have never got this big fish little fish thing. You are where you are because of the results you got previously. Still it's a good job we are only small fry as we may stand a chance being under everyone's radar. The other thing about being a supposed big fish is the expectation when not achieved leads to even bigger disappointment. The Championship is full of clubs who at one time were premiership clubs, league one is full of clubs who have a history of second tier and so on. The Conference is full of ex league clubs. They all thought they were favourites to bounce straight back but most got a shock when they discovered they weren't as big as they thought they were.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Div 1 clubs will have a security headache next season with Sunderland being in the league.....real travelling nutters as I remember.

7. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Another no show....deeply disappointed!

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The Herald comments about more injuries for Argyle....when Paton went off....hardly a front line player at the moment to worry about.

9. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I don't subscribe to this "we were bottom at Christmas so it doesn't matter what happens now" theory. We got onto the top 6 on merit, there's no other way of doing it over that number of games, and so the attitude has to be what you have you hold.

I'm not suggesting the club or players have backed off: it's no coincidence that recent poor results come at a time when a small squad has suffered key injuries. But as a a matter of principle.... I'll be disappointed if we don't make the play-offs. Who knows when the chance will come along again?

PGFWhite likes this.
  10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not saying that I hope we don't make it or anything along those lines. At one point this season I had all but written us off as a no hoper for this season. The fact we have even made any sort of fist of it is a kind of reward in itself. I'm not desperate to get another promotion just yet but would be quite happy to take one if it's going. I just don't want the season to end on a whimper and without some sort of fight for it.

11. notDistantGreen

It was noted that none of the players were on social media after Saturday's game, which is a bit unusual. Remi Matthews, Antoni Sarcevic, Zak Vyner and Oscar Threlkeld are frequent posters.

Remi Matthews has no said that he felt Argyle "threw in the towel" for the first time during his time with the club.

"We've had a talk after the game and we know where we're at now. If anything it could be a kick up the bum for us to sort ourselves out for the next four games," he added to BBC Radio Devon.

"We came into the game expecting we were going to win it and we didn't."

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

That's unforgivable if they thought they were going to win it.....they should know by now that no team has the right to expect to win any game....that certainly I hope isn't how Derek Adams saw it.....you've got to do more than just turn up.....they got all they deserved if that is the case.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Bit of blunt talking after the match on Saturday by the team.....Remi Matthews felt that they had thrown in the towel against Northampton....good job Matthews didn't because our goal difference would have been badly dented.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

A bit of blunt talking never did anyone any harm. It all depends on whether anyone was listening to the blunt talking. Have to say that the disclosure is unusually open for Argyle. I am a little surprised Adams has allowed it's release unless he is quite happy for the players to point the finger of blame at themselves which saves him having to do it and sounding like an excuse.

15. notDistantGreen

I thought Remi Matthews might have stepped out of line here... but the article was in the Herald, not on social media, so i assume those sorts of interview are approved by the club. Adams has said similar things as well.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Assuming that 'that rag the Herald' have got it right of course.