1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Gillingham

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, May 2, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the game was up before this one was even kicked off and the players were not even 100% fit either. The transformation in the team from pre Christmas to now is quite something and it at least made the end of season interesting so I can't really find it in me to have a go at them or Adams. Move on, re-group and come again next time.

2. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Don't worry, we were the first team to lose at Gillingham this season.... and it was raining!!.... have a lovely summer <ok>

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You were the first team to lose at Home Park as well. Why the feck couldn't you keep the habit going elsewhere...............

Think the playoffs are going to be interesting this time around even if we aren't in them. Not sure there is a favourite amongst the 4 and I wouldn't like to have to bet on any in particular. My biggest thing to be grateful for is that Peterborough aren't in the hat. I couldn't stand it if Steve Evans won anything.

4. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Personally, I think Rotherham will win the play offs.... now watch Scunny beat them <doh> ..... now that the Shrews bubble has burst I think we may get to Wembley but would lose 2-0 or 3-1 to Rotherham :(

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Derek Adams had started with Alex Fletcher up front, but to be honest he didn't get any joy at all. On the bench also was Cameron Sangster who came on for Fletcher in the 57 minute. Alex Battle replaced Joel Grant in the 79 minute and also on the bench where youngsters Law, Rooney and Lolas so match day experience gained by all....but not in a way that they would want to remember.

6. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In hindsight and in the cold light of day I feel some of my comments last night having come home tired and disappointed from the Medway where too strong.

The team looked tired and jaded as the game progressed....it definitely looked a game too far....having played four games in a fortnight.....three of them on the road, the travelling mileage accumulated was just too much. They had quite an intensive warm up and certainly looked up for it.....but when Gillingham scored an easy opener on 7 minutes the task required started to dawn on them.....but they did battle on and got a break when Grant bundled the ball in the net on 23 minutes and got all of our hopes up again. Two further goals for Gillingham on 30 and 36 minutes definitely where nails in the coffin....this was further emphasised on 51 minutes when they took a 4-1 lead and we where heading for our worst defeat in the league this season.

We have done well this season with a tight defence....even when Edwards had to drop out Bristol City's Zak Vyner stepped in and did a good job.....unfortunately the same couldn't be said of our attacking options.....at a crucial moment near the end of the season we had no one similar to Ryan Taylor to take his place when his season finished early because of injury. It became obvious that Carey and Lameiras both depended on him to provide openings going forward.

Our bench was an eye opener yesterday, only two experienced players on it, one was Letheren a goalkeeper...the other was Aaron Taylor-Sinclair. The others where Cameron Sangster and Alex Battle who both got game time and Ryan Law, Dan Rooney and the promising young Greek Klaidi Lolas. Remember that young Alex Fletcher was in the the starting eleven.
    Did Derek Adams think we had a chance with Rochdale's help of causing an upset.....or was he resigned to the fact that we weren't really up to the task.

Talk of Adams going to Scotland for a break and he will work from there for awhile.....and maybe check out possible new players from north of the border.....so will his keep and release lists be already done or will it be after his break.

PS.....It seems that Derek Adams will spend a few days at Home Park before travelling north and will continue recruiting from there....it seems that he will announce his release and obtain lists before he goes to Scotland for a break.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  7. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Adams will have been hell bent on winning I'm sure. Whether the players felt capable of it is another matter. They certainly haven't lacked commitment to the cause all season but whether the last couple of weeks have been too much I don't know.

Carey's remark that most of the players weren't 100% fit was telling. Presumably that means he's not 100% himself but also that absentees and fitness were on people's minds.