1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Fleetwood

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 5, 2017.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I agree with most of that, or at least I thought the players did well. Oscar T made a huge difference until he went off, Sarc slips , 0-1 and the writing was on the wall. I thought the ref did pretty well. Blissett was giving as much as he got especially on the grandstand side-for a big bloke he does seem to get knocked over rather easily. They could very easily have been awarded a penalty when we cleared off the line in the first half, and he kept his cards in his pocket-at least for us. Shrewsbury up next , quite fancy us for that one!

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I can't believe the side I saw play Charlton back in August and beat them are in this mess. OK, it was a close game, but Charlton are after all 6th in the league after 11 games played. OK, if they'd taken one of their chances in the 1st half it might have been different, but they didn't and we were winners on merit.

There are things to be improved, notably that you mustn't give the ball away in your own half. Songo'o has been guilty of that several times to our cost, although he's playing magnificently in the back 4 at present by all accounts, and Sarcevic did it yesterday. Two touches later, it's in the back of our net; this is a very unforgiving league. The accuracy of free kicks and corners hasn't been what it was last year and that's down to us: it's entirely independent of the opposition and we have the same players we did then.

Confidence is obviously at rock bottom but if we can get a full squad fit and available and turn that around, I don't think we would be far away from the required level. How to do it though? Step by step, we beat Exeter in midweek, which would have been a hammer blow if we'd lost, and it seems we were a bit better yesterday, even if the result was wrong. Adams will just have to keep grinding away at this stage with the transfer window closed, COYG.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Been watching the video a few times....their first goal wasn't just down to Sarcevic slipping...the ball broke away from him and he couldn't readjust and the ball was too easily played between our defenders.

The second one was that they broke quickly, and ran through our plodding defenders out numbering us....far quicker than us on the break...a definite lack of pace in our players, physically and mentally.

Confidence makes so much difference...especially on mental alertness.....I'm sure Threlkeld's going off must of been a downer for them...it was obvious he made a difference before he got injured...although some of Adams comments about the situation didn't seem too kind from what has been said.

"He's got a sore leg, so he felt he couldn't go through the pain barrier said Derek", nothing serious, I don't think. Now that doesn't sound to caring for a manager to say....the pressures building up on him and it looks as if he thinks it's the players fault.

Maybe the coaching is letting them down...they seem to be devoid of ideas, and shoulders do drop when they go behind....not having scored in the league during the first half in 12 games, must be some kind of record....10 games without a league win....which is only 3 games from their 13 game none-winning record.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  4. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Same as England. ....so what! you don't have a big team...play it in the ground and skin them....

5. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

If that what's all about....

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Funny old thing opinion isn't it. I didn't think the Ref was all that at all but have read that others rated him. I agree they could have had a penalty but they could also have had a red card. If Carey got one for what he did then I failed to see much difference in one they did. The Ref didn't crack down on holding and pushing and Fleetwood were way more guilty of it than Argyle. Blissett would be in his rights to claim maintenance off their Centre back 2. They could have bought him a drink at least first. We could have had a penalty or two as well. Referees have had no problem producing cards this season and when we were getting dragged all over the place and fouled he could only find a yellow one. I see no reason for us to want a referee to keep cards in his pocket when it would favour us. We've had to put up with happy red card waving ones all season.

The main problem with Argyle is not being able to score when on top and then conceding a stupid goal which kills any confidence for the rest of the match. I just don't know where a result is going to come from right now. I also heard the who and what reference dressing room not happy yesterday. I won't go into posting about it but all I will say is I knew there was something not quite right.

7. notDistantGreen

I think Sarcevic was to blame: the ball had been cleared and the defence were pushing out as they had every right to do with it seeming we had the ball. What you can see is that it was killer pass and a lot of League 2 players probably wouldn't have been so accurate so quickly. Also, by then, Sawyer is on the right which may have had a marginal impact.

I hadn't seen Fleetwood's 2nd goal before. Would McCormick have let that in I wonder?

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

One mistake was all it was and we get hammered for it. Up to them I thought it was 50/50. When your luck is out in football boy is it out and all those half chances and even some full on ones just won't go the right way. If you are up the top they pop in for fun. I thought the game was a bit cruel on Saturday because we didn't deserve the way it ended.

9. notDistantGreen

Well, even that's a step in the right direction Sensible.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Something out of this coming game will be an improvement.

11. notDistantGreen

And why do you say that?

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Do I have to answer that or was that you being ironic notdistant?

13. notDistantGreen

You said you knew the basis of the rumours of dressing room discontent. I wondered if some resolution had been reached or a name might be absent from the team sheet.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not absent from the team sheet. Don't know the details of what has to be resolved team wise just that somebody has been naughty. Story was that somebody had played away.

15. notDistantGreen

Yes similar to what I heard.