1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Charlton

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Nov 6, 2020.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cup game.............hmmmm! Distraction. Are we that bothered?

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With my son and grandson both ST holders down the Valley... bragging right are important....so this is more than just a cup game for me.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

M Cooper, Watts, Opoku, Aimson, Edwards, Fornah, Moore, Mayor, Camara, Hardie, Jephcott.

Sobs
    Ruddy, Canavan, Nouble, Telford, Reeves, Grant, G Cooper.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Charlton have made 8 changes from the team that started their last league game....they have 4 subs who played in their last League game on the bench.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0...H/T......Argyle have controlled periods of play quite well.....just need some decent finishing.....will Charlton bring on some bigger guns in the second half.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

BBC stats are saying that Charlton have had 60% of play....completely wrong personally....should be the other way.

7. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Good performance by PAFC in 1st half but the final passes and the shots not quite up to the standard of the defending and approach play.

8. notDistantGreen

Sensible you missed a HUGE grudge in this one. MARCUS EFFING MADISON.

9. notDistantGreen

That's Luke Jephcott isn't it? Hardly a sniff, gets one chance and buries it.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-1...Jephcott...60 mins....deserved lead.

11. notDistantGreen

What a truly fantastic afternoon. Great performance and win from Argyle and Trump out of the White House.

I might pour a glass of something.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Great win for Argyle....Charlton not treating the FA Cup or Argyle with the respect they deserve....making EIGHT changes was not a good idea......and they came unstuck.....a bit more composure and we would have scored more.

CHARLTON...0-1...ARGYLE...Jephcott...60 minutes.....eight minutes of injury time played and we Nouble nearly scored another at the end.

MoM without doubt was Camara.....he was everywhere....and took his share of fouls for the team.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well the magic of the FA Cup doesn't exist down Charlton way at the moment... their fan websites are glad there out of it....because promotion is all that matters....there manager Bowyer has spoken in a derogatory way about the Cup as well.

Well maybe we need to repeat this win on Boxing day in the League....they might not be so casual about it all then.

14. notDistantGreen

Easy to stay that when you've lost.

Wait 'til we all troop into Home Park to watch us beat Man United. Ah... wait....

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Is that before or after we beat Liverpool.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I didn't even know Maddison played for Charlton until this afternoon. Sorry I will do better with my hates next time and research it properly.

I agree with you plym the BBC stats appeared wrong to me as well. We probably won't ever agree again................. Decent enough performance apart from the final third. Have to say I kept waiting for them to catch us cold on the break but they were poor in front of goal with nothing in the first half and little in the second. Camara once again was the man. We were wasteful in front of goal and should have had more than one. Never mind onwards and upwards we go.

Agree with Charlton fans to a point. Not sure this isn't a distraction. Want the lowest positioned club at home for the next round please.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Disappointing really....the FA Cup was the highlight of the season for smaller clubs...the chance to rake in a bit of money......and the chance to visit grounds that we'd never go to without the Cup doing it.
    As I've already said....I'd love us to go there Boxing day and beat them again.....they'd have a problem then of discarding three lost points in their league push to return to the Championship......or would they find another excuse why it doesn't matter losing.

Marcus Maddison arrived at Charlton on October 1st....mentioned on their website that he had a bust up with Bowyer after the match.....there is concern that he will unsettle the changing room amongst some of their fans.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Maddison is a cheating git who tries to get his fellow players sent off. He managed it with one of ours as you will all remember.

I can't see any of the cup competitions being popular with leagues one and two this season sadly. Today did not seem like a cup game being played in an empty stadium. No point in getting a Liverpool or Man U with none of us likely to be there. Only up side is possible cash for the club I suppose but it is a busy league season. I actually believe they don't mind losing this one. The supporters that is. I do take a bit of exception reading that their Second X1 were as good as our first choice team. We had a lot of players not on the pitch who I would consider very much a part of our first team. I also thought we more than matched them at their ground and they were more than fortunate not to lose by a bigger margin. First half stats said it all. They didn't have a shot on target out of the two they had and we had 12 shots albeit not with much accuracy. It took until after we scored for Cooper to have to make the first save. They passed the ball around well enough but did very little else with it. Considering we do let a few in and they couldn't get near to scoring says a lot.

19. notDistantGreen

I think the biggest positive yesterday is that we won easily away from home. Without crowds it's a puzzle what home and away means but there is a stark difference between our recent home form and what we've done away. Perhaps it's a corner turned.

Despite his chirpy Scouse persona , I don't think Ryan Lowe would enjoy losing at tiddlywinks. He looks after players at the slightest hint of injury or tiredness so mostly I think the "first eleven" will play every week at least in the League or FA Cup.

20. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Remember Whitby......

21. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

First thing a Charlton mate said to me ' 8 first team players out ' to ease a loose then afterwards we can concentrate on the league now lol! But said we played great and deserved the win after.