1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Bristol Rovers

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Mar 19, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's time to cross swords with Joey Barton once more. The man everyone loves to hate. Is that a reason to want us to give them a kicking or is it just the fact that at the moment we can't buy a win and are getting desperate. You decide. Personally as usual I just think we can win this one and probably will. What do I know................

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If we lose this one...I might start wondering if the local Park team manager might be able to do a better job than Ryan Lowe....fortunately we have more points in hand than two years back.....but I'm not going to hold my breathe.....Joey Barton who is not on many peoples Christmas card list... has a better than average record against us lets hope that Lowe can get Argyle producing something near their best form....I just worry that we won't score first and then fall apart.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The Ref tomorrow is..........................Trevor Kettle. OMG......we're doomed Captain Mainwaring we're doomed.

4. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Jonsie said "show um the steel, they don't like that"...

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Ryan Lowe said "Since the 3-0 defeat (at Rovers) we're different from then, we've changed a little bit, we've got more desire and more commitment in us and we want to bring that to the part on Saturday afternoon.

Well that's good to know....just needs to tell his players that now.....specially the "desire and commitment bit"....will that be evident if we go 1-0 down..

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Aimson, Opoku, Fornah, Edwards, Grant, Lewis, Mayor, Camara, Jephcott, Ennis,

Subs
    McCormick, Hardie, Reeves, Moore, Lolos, Woods, Tomlinson.

Watts hasn't made it it.....so what's the formation.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...H/T.....The Niall Ennis show.....Ennis...7mins...45mins.

Opoku booked again....too much back chat with the Ref....niggly moments with the ball...not allowing Rovers the ball at free kicks....always looking as a booking about to happen.....and in the second half he could be a moment away from a second booking and a red card.

Defence have got away with a period of pressure.....it's a case of give the ball to Ennis......Jephcott needs to be subbed....just not happening for him.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...F/T....three much needed points....but why is it so hard against a team who dominated period of the second half.....without Ennis Argyle have nothing up front to offer.....Jephcott spent more time helping the defence....he seems to have hardly any attacking worth at the moment.

Good game from Cooper... some good saves today and looked dependable under pressure.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Christ anyone would think we lost. Who needs away fans when we have enough of them in green shirts.

I thought we did pretty well today and in a match Bristol tried to disrupt and make scruffy we stuck to the game plan and it worked. Completely different set up to normal and as it turns out it was a good one. Thought Ainsom was better today playing more in a position he is good at and had one of his better days. Opoku should shut up more often it's true and especially when the Ref is the picky Mr Kettle who had his usual day today blowing as often as he could and telling people off. Lewis had a better day and in truth most of them did. MOM was Ennis and not just because he scored the goals. Bristol are not all that and although they had a number of attempts shown in the stats they rarely troubled anyone. On another day Ennis would have had a hat full but the luck monster only allows us so much in one day. I'll settle for 2 - 0 and now onwards and upwards.

10. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I'm with you Sensible. Possession doesn't win games as we say when we lose so it's the same when we win.

Better side, better chances, worked hard as ever, Ennis outstanding, Lewis much better.

Wouldn't want to play that formation again, leaves us too open down the flanks.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Comments on yesterdays game.....

1.....Excellent commentary team yesterday...Charlie Price and Brian McGlinchey....knowledgeable chat and enthusiasm about Argyle make easy listening

2.....Niall Ennis has acquired.the nickname 'Ennis the Menace'......suits him.

3.....Adam Lewis needs a bit of praise....played as well as he ever has for Argyle yesterday.....good passing and some good attacking crosses from the left flank brought goals....decent ball crossing and corners have been missing for most of the season from Argyle.

4.....One bright moment for sensible at final whistle....Joey Barton received a yellow card over comments he made to the Ref.

5.....Opoku's booking means he will miss two games now.....which gives Argyle a serious problem in mid defence for the next two games....frustratingly this was the last match his bookings could be used collectively against him this season.....youth can be a problem at times....but that's how you learn....Chance for Sam Woods to show what he can bring to the party.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  12. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Although Brian McGlinchy should know better than to refer to us as "Plymouth".

I thought Adam Lewis did well yesterday, apart from one careless pass. It was suggested the formation suited him better: more of a full back than a wing back but I think that's wrong. When he signed he was asked what his strengths were he said getting forward and getting crosses in, which doesn't suggest he prefers a more defensive role. I think it's confidence. In previous games he's been shaky at the start but got better. I know he comes from one of the biggest clubs in the world but as a result he's had few real games. Perhaps yesterday he went out there feeling he belonged there and a good performance and two assists will boost him further.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think Lewis felt he had something to prove after his gift to the opposition last Tuesday. He was itching to make amends and in truth I think he did just that. Now all he needs to do is take that forward into his future games and keep doing it. Proves he can. I cannot quite see what Barton was upset abut to get booked. Kettle was hardly a homer and he didn't give us that much. Don't think he missed much either. Probably just Barton being his usual prick self. Some people just can't help themselves and talk themselves into all sorts of trouble. Opoku anyone?