1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus AFC Wimbledon

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 19, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You want to sit in on a home game plym which of course we lose. If you think it's hard to watch those sort of games when we win then god help you. Be honest it's about bleddy time we did something right. Lyndhurst makes a very valid point on another thread regarding bookings and cards of a different colour. He is saying it's now 4 games without a card of any colour. Out of that 4 games we have managed 2 draws and a win. Perhaps having sorted out the discipine side of things then it really is looking up.

Told you all in post 1 on this thread. Nailed on easy peesy riding side saddle guaranteed.

2. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just watched the goal on a sky clip. First class pass by Carey who looks back to his normal self thank god and excellent finish. Also Mathews seems to have been an inspired loan of an emergency keeper.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Other thoughts on the game.

Matthews and Cooper out really early warming up and having quite a vigorous session in the "warm up goal"

I was sat behind the "warm up goal" just above the cross bar at the back of the stand.....when the team had shooting practice with Cooper being the target, I was surprised how many shots missed the target.....quite a few peppered the seating behind the goal....felt a bit like an aunt sally shooting range.....one seat had the back completely smashed off and pieces of plastic flying around like shrapnel...another got split, but stayed together....the goal was very close to the spectators and you couldn't walk behind the net because it was right up to the barrier.....no ball boys around the pitch because there wasn't really any room for them.

Noticeable how much work Songo'o gets through....he was everywhere....few times he got upset with other defenders for their lack of urgency in certain situations......No1 on the team sheet these days with Carey.

Diagouraga was always efficient in what he did...winning back the ball when necessary, and passing well... a good free agent find.

In the second half Carey staying wide at times on the touchline....he became the go to pass, and defenders didn't feel comfortable and failed to keep him from cutting in on his left foot.....you could see that if we were going to get any success it would come from that flank, and so it did with a good through ball for Grant to get on to, for the goal.

Other than that you couldn't see who else would cause problems for their defence.....Jervis played well for his thankless job up front....didn't really play the roll of an out and out striker, holding up the ball to my mind, but....he did wander across the front line and did an adequate job. Maybe Blissett should of had longer to try and pressurize their defence....he looks quite a physical presence and would tie up there defence more than Jervis....don't get me wrong, Jervis did a good job up front, although I think he is better coming in from the flanks...and next to Carey his goal scoring record is good, but not as an out and out striker.

One hilarious moment in the first half, especially for the wombles sitting around me was when Edwards went to clear a simple ball up field.....and he completely missed the ball....allowing an opposition player to get the ball and for a moment it looked dangerous......they kept reminding him of it every time he went for the ball.

Just under 800 greens there officially....but not behind a goal, but down the narrow side opposite the mini grandstand.......hard to hear them in full throat spread out over the full length of the pitch.....very poor facility, and either end of that area wasn't undercover.....which for a lot of visiting teams wouldn't be a problem with the numbers that they would bring....but could be quite miserable on a wet day.

Not many stewards around in my area....ok it was supposed to a home end....but when I enquired were my seat was....because I couldn't see the block lettering.....not much help from the stewards because the they didn't seem to know anything other than their own block seating....most of the stewards seem to be Asian and I had difficulty understanding what they said anyway....not good on accent recognition.

But good to see the team in the flesh for a change.....Miller only came on in injury time which would have pleased notDistant.....Sawyer playing on the wrong side again, did ok , as also did Taylor-Sinclair.....still worrying how often Wimbledon got around the sides of our defence and crossed the ball....the corner count did get ridiculous in the end in the second half.....but they couldn't get the better of our defence.....probably because they are a poor team....as I said in the earlier post it was surprising that they came into this match on the back of two consecutive wins, and I think they might struggle to stay up.....they had only made one change for this match since their two wins..... I could never understand why they released Akinfenwa, and announcing it before the Wembley final as well.....Wycombe Wanderers gain, Wimbledon's loss.....he is still scoring goals.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Entertaining or not, it's an away win that sets us up nicely for Rochdale at home next week.

I haven't been a fan of either Miller or Songo'o but the latter seems to be playing out of his skin at the moment. During the Blackburn game, one of their fans Tweeted of Songo'o "Why can't we sign defenders like that? He's a beast". When one of their fans says something like that, you have to take notice. Maybe Miller will play like that one day but when I've seen him, he makes bad decisions, he can't decide when to get tight and when to drop off. As the great Alan Hansen famously used to say "Indecision is final".

Now Threlkeld is a different kettle of fish altogether, dynamic, athletic and determined. We won't be at our best until we get the likes of him back in the team.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Miller a beast? That's quite funny really. He tackles ok but he is no wingback that's for sure. I haven't seen him go past anyone in any game so far. Songo'o has improved all season and he is a terrier. I read a comment somewhere which I have to say rings true. Bradley, our player of the season and rightly so last season, has gone backwards and Songo'o who was a bit of a liabity at times last season has shown tremendous improvement. Bradley maybe shows his limits are in League 2 and Songo'o is proving he is a league one player and fits in this league.

I'm with you notdistant in that I don't give a flying fig how argyle got their win but getting it was the all important part. They haven't been great in any of the last 3 games but have definately been better than before. They needed this result and it may just kick start their season. Not expecting them to go on an unbeaten 10 match run, although it would be great if they did, but I do expect a bit more from them now.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Anyway, how many times did we get called "lucky" last year because the opposition had all the possession but we nicked the goals? It isn't luck and although fans may not like it, Adams does it deliberately: defend deep, suck them in and hit them with pace on the break. From what was said, it seems as though on Saturday he played extra deep in order to give Jervis space to run into. Jervis isn't the quickest over 4 yards but not many will catch him over 40......