1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Var

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Missing Lambo, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

I've said this before. When leagues sell the TV rights, put in a clause that where a referee's decision is being discussed, the incident must be shown from a long distance camera at full speed only. Without stating it, that would be a way to stop the endless analysis of referees' decisions that has brought us to this dog's dinner of an idea. If pundits didn't focus on twenty slow motion replays from every possible angle before confidently stating the referee was wrong, this wouldn't even be being discussed.

This isn't an empty threat: if they bring it into every game I'll almost certainly stop going to watch football.

Vin

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I have said exactly this from before day 1. Just have a bloke connected to the referee and saying something like that in his ear.

Keep it simple and don’t stop the game.

ImpSaint and Missing Lambo like this.
  3. fatletiss

Apart from maybe giving a few more points to a nearly broken club on the south coast. :)

Missing Lambo and thebronze14 like this.
  4. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Course you have, FLT. Great minds and all that. What's that one about fools?

5. fatletiss

They follow Saints in hope and belief?

6. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Thank goodness the PL have voted against it. We just have it that minor skirmish called the World Cup instead, not to mention our semifinal!

They really need to iron the wrinkles out before it’s used in competitive games.

VocalMinority likes this.
  8. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Yup, and do it one step at at time. They shouldn't be doing it for subjective penalties until they've at least got offsides perfected.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  9. fatletiss

I genuinely believe that they should only use it for situations that could benefit Saints.

10. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

As with most things in life; there is nothing wrong with the technology - its the effing idiots trying to manage it thats the issue.

As usual - the half-wits who run football have made a pigs ears of a very good idea.
    Should be used for the World Cup if only because its a sham in the first instance to be holding it in Russia.

VocalMinority likes this.

11. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The point is that it isn't pure technology....unless it is something blatant, all you are getting is an opinion from another person. Or causing an even longer delay....asking the ref to review his opinion. and on top of that giving footballers another chance to whinge to the referee. Where is the immediacy and excitement of a game if the crowd have to wait to discover if a goal has been given. It works in cricket....a game of natural pauses with a crowd used to periods of boredom....but it has also had a negative effect there. Umpires who avoid making decisions.....even obvious ones such as run outs by a nautical mile....and batsmen hovering on the pitch while the bowler's feet are checked (because umpires never watch for that now). I think that the video referee should interfere only if he has seen something obvious and instantaneous...and wait for it....no one on the pitch (including the referee) should have the right to ask for a review. The game would carry on with fewer arguments from the players and fewer interruptions to play.

P.s. no jobsworth should act as VAR or all the good work would be undone....has to be a foul that matters.

12. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Nicely put. It really is not as straight forward as people think.

It's Only A Game likes this.
  13. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it works in cricket and rugby so why can't it work in football? <doh>

It's use in footy is limited IMO.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Sack it off, its ****e.

15. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The reason for the success of football is that it is a relatively simple fast game. Anyone with a ball and a few friends can have a shot at playing it, so it catches on quickly. Rugby and cricket have esoteric elements....where you discover an unknown rule after decades of watching. I enjoy watching international rugby, but you just know the play is going to break up and some random foul is going to be given. Cricket (which I enjoy) is a slow game anyway, so little harm is done by referrals....though it has damaged the confidence of umpires in their own decision making. VAR will no doubt be introduced to the detriment of the game imo....I can see a time when people leap to their feet for a goal, then quickly sit down and wait for the decision. And with so much activity often in the goal mouth there will be a pause whilst things are considered. Immediacy and excitement is gone.....but hey, we'll get the right decision, won't we? o_O Sometimes. Won't matter to future generations who will never know what they have lost.

17. fatletiss

My biggest concern for VAR is if I am not at a game but watching on the television. If we score I could be anywhere in the house/garden/street celebrating and that could be somewhat disappointing if I return to the television to see it’s still 0-0.

18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Does your local pub landlord know you well enough to wait a bit when you offer to buy drinks all round?

19. fatletiss

If I ever did that, he knows to call the police because somebody would have stolen my identity.

ChilcoSaint and It's Only A Game like this.
  20. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you and your other comment above. My post was meant to be sarcastic regarding people whose argument is that "if it works for one sport it'll work for others" when there are obvious differences. As I said before VAR has limited use in football IMO.

Libby likes this.