1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VAR

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Jun 30, 2017.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Well brb - as ever we will disagree on this point........ I made mischief in my post by adding #justiceforall - but perhaps it wasn't mischief ! I (almost) respect your desire that technology shouldn't interfere with football - but- recently I have been watching documentaries on 'criminals' who have been executed (in Britain) - using modern forensic and technology ( not available at the time ). In several cases the conviction has been overturned because the original evidence was flawed - unfortunately, this has come too late for those at the end of the rope ( don't tell me that if it was you that was 'dangling', you wouldn't have been just a little bit annoyed ).#justiceforbrb

brb likes this.
  2. alwaysright

To answer your question - "Why not ?" -- maybe if more penalties were awarded for all the cheating that goes on when a corner is being taken, then we might just be in danger of ONLY football being played - rather than some sort of ' all-in wrestling.'
    I
    will not apologise for my obsession with fairness ................... and as for F1 v Football - human error will always exist ( even with VAR ) - but using modern technology will / has, greatly reduced the number of mistakes in both sports - where greater emphasis should be on the expertise of the participants.

brb likes this.
  3. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

VAR has room in the game, and I unlike others, actually agreed with the decision made yesterday to draw the foul back for a penalty. In this day in age, you can't be can't clumsily knocking players over in the box like that including standing on their feet at the same time. What I didn't like however was the time it took for the referee to make the decision to go over to the tv replay as he had previously signalled for a corner and then spent a while allowing the players to set for the corner before running over to the screen.

If VAR is going to work, the referees need to make the calls immediately and the fans should be able to get involved, ie the same as in Rugby when you can hear the calls being made and the replays are shown on the screens in the stadiums.

brb likes this.
  4. brb

brb CR250

alwaysright - I do get your points but what was the one thing that i've always said before any technology came in...one rule will lead to another! And that is exactly what happened against Italy, a rule was applied (fairly) but was in my honest opinion not necessary otherwise let's just stop the whole game and debate every decision.

I speak from the heart, I never realised until watching that game (the first in ages for England) how much the team has changed, that's how much i've been deterred away from football. FIFA, the EFL the money, the corruption, Sky etc, the technology, the sterile grounds are killing it for me.

If it wasn't for my love of the Gills, I would have finished with football altogether by now.

And let's be straight about all this, the technology is not there to promote fairness, if it was to do that, cheating would have been STAMPED OUT a long time a go, it's not difficult and you don't need technology to do it. The ONLY reason this technology is now coming into play and exists is because of the financial consequences of the game, millionaire come billionaires paradise. Let alone the betting side of the game and financial rewards, including TV and sponsorship.

I'm not even going to start on about Tottenham's new ground in the domestic league, it's obscene! Tie that in with the trouble at West Ham, it's a time bomb waiting to explode, the likes of Blackpool and Wonga will be nothing compared to when the bubble bursts <pun intended>

It was said on TV, it is killing it for the supporters at the game, all to appease the armchair fans, that's what we've become, personally i'd rip the whole lot out, fair or not i would rather have human error, one that we've had for over 100 years then what i'm seeing today. The cameras have taken over surveying the crowd to what goes on, on the pitch, FB breached 50 million peoples data, why because we just accept it and it becomes abused the same as we are just accepting VAR...

and that one rule will lead to another.

Do you remember what i once said, supporters will no longer be able to chant in the ground, what happened only a few years later...three fans of ours were arrested. Look at West Ham all served with life bans for invading the pitch, yes their idiots but it's the political INJUSTICE that you speak of being served up to fans since the days of Thatcher.

Rant over <laugh>

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    alwaysright likes this.
  5. alwaysright

Mr.brb - so - is it ok if I now ask you to step into my noose ?
    I think you know that I share many of your principles -however you and I have different ways to approach what is basically the same sense of fairness that we share. I suppose that I have become cynical and suspicious of the corruption that exists ( including referees ? ) - and I would rather trust a machine or machine inspired decision than a human with a whistle or flag - (( the officials who are blind to SO much )).

........ and I bet you're loving all the human error at Priestfields #lifesnotfairthenyoudie

brb likes this.
  6. alwaysright

VAR - very awful referee !
    I'm still shaking my head at how bad the referee was last night! I need to clarify that I don't hold him responsible for Gills losing the game - we faffed around too much, and didn't have the quality to finish any chance / half chance......... but - the referee !!!! - how bad was he ?? -- and both teams could feel aggrieved with the way that the oficials handled the game.
    The booking for the MK D player for 'diving' was questionable - it looked a certain penalty to all around me. And talking of penalties - Ogilvie was nearly buried in the 6 yard box -but somehow the officials missed it, (along with the handball leading to Dons first goal ). Max Ehmer was very lucky not to get a red card - I could understand the mass of MK Dons players surrounding the var to encourage him to send off our man -- but then their No.10 showed incredible contempt for the referee ( the free kick incident at the end of the game )- when he continued to gesture to the ref, and walk away with the ball ) - how was he not booked ? -- although he later got his card, he should have got one for the many times he clattered Hessenthaler ( off the ball ) throughout the whole game.........
    oh well, I suppose that brb will tell me that, ('for once'), the referee got it wrong for both teams ! - THANKS - I just love coming to Priestfield stadium to be able to go home complaining about ANOTHER very awful referee - I keep telling you - two wrongs do NOT make one 'right' - they make TWO WRONGS ! - or in this game - MANY wrongs.
    ................... Now, wouldn't it be good if we had a way in which to review and play-back incidents and change decisions by a very awful referee.

brb likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

I will sum it up quite simply, mistakes and debate, no not a mass-debate, are what football has always been about. 'We wuz robbed' it's what the game 'wuz' all about and we loved it.

Btw should we use VAR to replay 90 minutes of the game to see if 5 minutes added time should be added, imagine, waiting for that, it wouldn't just be City fans going home before the 90th minute!

8. alwaysright

I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been 'stickied' for the World Cup

In the France v Australia game, VAR was used to award the French a penalty. I don't think that the absolute doubt criteria had been reached ! Then the referee issued a yellow cad to the Aussie defender who had committed the 'foul.'
    A couple of minutes later Australia get an obvious penalty - when Umtiti raised his hand well above his head - to stop a cross ball from reaching an Australian forward - yet - Umtiti did not get a card - why not ? - the Australian defender at least made a genuine (( and a successful )) attempt at playing the ball - whereas Umtiti tried to cheat to stop a goal attempt........ Strewth !....oh well, c'est la vie

9. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Joke VAR france one was debateable. Was supposed to be clear that was not. How was the french player not booked for handball

10. brb

brb CR250

Sticked as requested. Missed the France game so can't comment on what happened. Loved the superb own goal for Iran yesterday and the Spain v Portugal game was brilliant.

11. gioblues

Now the argies should of had a second pen but VAR not used.

alwaysright likes this.
  12. alwaysright

Totally agree - and what makes the referee look more stupid is that (( if he didn't think it was a foul )), surely he should have given a yellow card for simulation........ the only thing that is simulated is the credibility of VAR......... The TV chaps are saying that the referee couldn't ask for VA because play had resumed !! WTF !! If we have the technology - bloody well use it. I own a car- hence I don't walk ! ( only for recreation ).

13. gioblues

Apprentely once the ball goes out of play refree cannot go back to VAR. So if ref fails to give pen and you think it could have been given kick the ball out of play on purpose.

14. gioblues

Now looking back the first pen was iffy as well

15. alwaysright

Actually - as I understand it, once the play has restarted, VAR can't be used. Surely commonsense should prevail - if the ball goes 'dead',, and if there is a controversial incident, the referee has the authority to prevent play to resume and ask for a review.

16. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I think VAR is a brilliant idea, the sooner it gets introduced on this forum the better.
    Last in the World Cup prediction table, I want a replay. :emoticon-0121-angry

brb likes this.
  17. alwaysright

VAR has reviewed --- you're still grumpy and a git - and I'm still alwaysright.☺

18. alwaysright

It looks like PaddyPower have found a use for VAR.....it made me smile.
    Just seen an advert during half time in the Brazil v Switzerland game ---in the PaddyPower advert, it used VAR to establish who was first in the queue at the bar in a pub --- could have done with that in Burton a couple of years ago - me waving a £20 note ---I might as well have been invisible !

brb likes this.
  19. alwaysright

It's OK if you cheat - just a little bit !!
    Switzerland equalised when the scorer gave a 'gentle' push in the back of the Brazilian defender in front of him - allowing him a free header from which he scored -- it was a push - that is a foul. The Brazilians protested - but the referee wouldn't even contemplate a review -- and there I was thinking that VAR was to help the referee in incidents of controversy -- especially if a goal is scored.......... Looks like VAR is going to be as much use as the cat flap in the wooden gate at the end of the garden of one of my neighbour.

20. brb

brb CR250

Personally im getting tired of the commentators constantly looking to VAR for an infrigement at every incident, and before long players will start playing the system!