1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VAR - Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by AshtonRed, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I think this is JGF's point - if the game doesn't get stopped until the ball is next 'dead', and that could, hypothetically be when the opposing team score, they celebrate, and no, wait VAR goes back and says penalty to the other side and wipes the goal out, imagine that in a play off final!

2. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

That's what basically happen in the Portugal v Switzerland game though. Portugal were awarded a penalty but then VAR showed that Switzerland should have been awarded one minutes earlier so Portugal penalty was disallowed and one was given to Switzerland instead.

I think VAR would become better as players and refs become used to it. At the moment its a bit of a farce as you can see in the woman's world cup but as with DRS in Cricket I'm sure there will be some fine tuning over the next few seasons and it will settle down and become less of an contentious issue. Like with every new system in every walk of life there are going to be teething issues.

3. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...all-getting-var-wrong-it-should-learn-cricket

A good article, with some interesting points.

Used correctly VAR can improve the game, but the way it’s used at the moment is an ass. It’s created issues where there were none, and not really cleared up things it was meant to.

What I don’t understand in regards to offsides , maybe someone can explain to me , is how do they decide exactly when to freeze the play , ie if a decision is so marginal that someone’s toe is offside, if play was stopped one frame earlier the toe would be onside , is there no margin of error.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  4. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Cricket deals with absolutes. Football rules frequently do not. This fine tuning is not be driven by those who play the game. By changing rules to absolutes those in charge of the game are not taking into account the nature of football e.g. the mechanics of jumping or diving.

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Rio Ferdinand asked a ref from the refs association about VAR and handball. Ferdinand showed how players naturally jumped and defended then he asked the ref what he thought all he could quote was the rules but couldnt answer Ferdinands points. it was stupid as stupid gets.

6. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

If it can adapt to be sensible then that’s fine, if not it needs to be scrapped, it has the potential to ruin the game.

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

VAR!!

England Cameroon. fifteen minutes of stoppage time and they still get decisions wrong and don't use it for a deliberate elbow in the face!! heres my review. get it out of football!!

8. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I see VAR as a useful tool to help referees. I’d rather wait a couple of minutes and have the right decision, even if it resulted in a city goal being disallowed or conceding a penalty.
    We’ve been a victim of bad decisions far more often than a beneficiary from them, so roll it out ASAP I say........
    It might even curb cheating....

9. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

no but what a fiasco the England game was …. 2 of 3 var's incidents certainly held the game up !!!!!

10. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

But the decisions were correct and the ball was dead.

11. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I watched part of the game last night.
    Was it VAR that held the game up or the indiscipline of the Cameroon players?

bcfcredandwhite likes this.