1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread v Everton

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by Foxy in Foyle, Oct 29, 2017.

1. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Some nice begrudung praise there Bucks! ... Mahrez has been at the heart of the points we've got against West Brom, Swansea and Everton and scored a lovely individual goal against Leeds ... if the rest of the team do their jobs right, then Mahrez's brilliance gets us the results ... thank god we still have him <ok>

BuzzardFoxMick likes this.
  2. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

I don't think he's taking away from a Mahrez. I've been very impressed with Mahrez recently and he seems happy again. I do think he was outshone by Gray yesterday which is no bad thing but maybe they can both learn from the other. Gray to add some magic maybe Riyad is capable of that he isn't yet but Mahrez could look at Gray yesterday and see how he carried on at a high level for 90 minutes. Having said that the whole team went quite sloppy losing the ball second half so hard to blame Mahrez

3. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

I have been more impressed with Mahrez of late (albeit I was starting from a very low base <laugh>) and he has shown some touches that only he can execute. When he is on song he is great to watch, mesmerising and creates chances, and yesterday I was quite optimistic when I saw the line up and was looking forward to seeing him taunt their back four. However it didn't quite work out like that. The problem for me yesterday is that we should have shown far more energy and pressed a very nervous Everton team from the front as soon as we went in front, but we couldn't do that with Mahrez up front, which is why I was disappointed that it took so long to get Okazaki on. The game could, and perhaps should, have been won by half time.

Unfortunately when it comes to the bit about other players doing their job, we aren't going to be able to press and harry with only 2 in central midfield, especially if one of those is Iborra who is no Kante or Drinkwater in terms of energy and ball winning skills. Albrighton was sorely missed yesterday and Gray wanted to drift over to the left. Both should start, as they will both combine skill with pace and energy. If we have bought Iheanacho to play behind Vardy then perhaps we should try bringing Mahrez on with 20 minutes to go and see what he can do when teams are tiring.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  4. Barwellfox

Barwellfox Well-Known Member

A year ago, Gray would have shot at goal after his mazy run. The ball to Mahrez was perfect as was the cross to Vardy. If he can continue making the right decision, he will be one hell of a player. Time will tell, but a very impressive display from him.

AstroFox and FosseFilberto like this.
  5. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

This is the first time he has played on the right for us which is his natural side.

It turns out he is right footed which is why he always cuts inside and shoots when on the left wing as he isn't as strong on his left peg - also means that he isn't competing with Vardy for space who naturally drifts around the left wing as well.

6. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Think there were alot of positives on Saturday, players starting to show what they are really capable of, better on the ball, but Everton in their current state is not really a good benchmark.

I understand we can't always play as well as we did in the first half hour but still a bit of trepidation for me in regards to our second half performance.

7. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

8. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Does he deserve a new contract based on 1 performance <confused>

I understand he might become great and they want to lock him down for the best transfer fee, but need to see these kind of performances more consistently before offering him a new bumper wage pack.

9. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

He is being paid relatively bugger all - basically the raise is to put him on the level of other squad players and remove any rumoured minimum fee clauses.

10. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

Also, how have Everton ended up with such a poor squad!?

11. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Agent Walsh <whistle>

Foxy in Foyle likes this.
  12. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

He was recognised as one of the best talents to come out of the Championship when we signed him. He suffered from being picked one week, having a good game and then not even making the bench for the next match. When he plays, he competes; yes he has made some rash decisions when he was brought on late in a game to try and change the outcome, but he was young and desperate to make an impact in what little match time he was given.

Don't be blind to the lad's talent; you're as bad as me with Mahrez! <laugh>

FosseFilberto likes this.
  13. Barwellfox

Barwellfox Well-Known Member

Do I see a bromance occurring at Specsavers?

: LeiEve