1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

UWE Off

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Lenny1883, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Lenny1883

Lenny1883 New Member

2. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Been expecting this for the past year.

Disappointing but oh well back to the drawing board.

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I just came across this news :)

Gutted as I think it could have been great, especially the benefits of being teamed up with the university.

However, the deal Higgs made obviously wasnt good for the club which is why Wael (who obviously knows what he is doing) had to make lots of changes to the deal which UWE accepted but some details UWE wouldnt budge on and they have their rights to do so. But it comes across to me that whatever the issues were for this not to go through must be because Higgs accepted a bad deal. I sound like the PM now regarding BREXIT. No deal with UWE is better than a bad deal!

Wael knows what he is doing as he is into investments and wouldnt have pulled the plug unless he felt it was a bad deal for us. It had to be right for us and clearly Wael believes this wasnt right.

Without any inside knowledge here ;) I also believe that Wael would have had other locations in mind ready if UWE fell through. I wouldnt be surprised if he has already negotiated deals for other locations <whistle> (I guess we will find out in the next week or so) :)

4. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image
    Wael's 'plan B'

Supcon72 likes this.
  5. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

My initial reaction to this news was that Rovers were unable to persuade UWE to agree with their view of the core issues of the deal. There were issues over purchase of the land and freehold. Other issues may have been difficult to resolve, such as who parks their cars where on match days and the general disruption of thousands of supporters gaining access to the stadium. I'm sure there are many others. Having experience of sitting on University Senate committees which decide these issues, I can look back at the awkward individuals with varied views and vested interests who would make discussions of such matters difficult problems to resolve. However the statement issued by UWE, post the Rovers statement to withdraw, seems to suggest that any major issues of conflict have been resolved between the two parties and that UWE are still very positive about wishing to proceed.
    It has been suggested elsewhere that Wael and Hani may not be in agreement over the Stadium project and that their difference of opinion may be the reason that the process has been terminated. Or like good dealers they are forcing the issue to get a better deal than UWE were prepared to agree to.
    Time will tell and all speculation will come to an end.

bs3 gas likes this.
  6. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see where this goes. It is a real shame that what seemed like a great idea - a partnership with UWE - hasn't come to fruition. I can't see the Mem ever being redeveloped because of the nimby opposition.

There's a great big site in Patchway, next to a railway station and just off the M5...just begging for a new stadium. It's also in South Glos, who approved the idea of a stadium at Abbeywood.

7. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was told by a work colleague that their is more bad news to come today I think there is a press conference at 4:00pm.

8. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Have just ploughed through Hamer's interview. So I'm no wiser now than I was before. He doesn't really tell us anything other than it's not his side's fault... one step forward, two back!! Were UWE aware of the deadline....don't know..he didn't say!! As he states that the discussions are to remain confidential.. presumably we will never know any detail!! Sorry Mr Hamer. I appreciate that to remain in your 'probably' well paid job it isn't wise to disobey instructions and to criticise the hand that feeds you, but all the political speak in the world won't make your posturing acceptable to those of us who have been subjected to this liturgy of excuses for such a long time!!

Quilllogic likes this.
  9. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I wonder how much it's all cost in time, lawyers and consultancy fees?

10. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Captain i know of a wonderful sight, it's called "Ashton Vale", remember, where you use to walk your dog, I'm sure your rich chairman would be more successful than ours, thoughts. :)

Supcon72 likes this.

11. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Maybe he hasn't got any money after all?

12. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Supcon72 likes this.
  13. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

I am not convinced that the truth has come out Steve Hamer said that UWE were given a deadline of Monday night UWE are saying they don't know why Rovers have pulled out, but they are keeping the plans open. Are UWE keeping something back or are they afraid of what they are loosing. Are Rovers playing a game trying to force an issue that so far has not been resolved.
    While I think most supporters guessed that it wasn't going to happen it still seems very sudden and strange in the way that the plug was pulled

bs3 gas likes this.
  14. National N1

National N1 Active Member

I'm sure I heard a while ago off some one that rovers wanted a larger slice of the pie than initially agreed by higgs and co and that it had caused a stand off that was ages ago I'm not sure if it was too do with the land or facilitys there

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Hi ADTG

We dont want your rejects thanks <ok>

Oh, I dont have a dog by the way. Just a wife <whistle>

16. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE We dont want your rejects thanks <ok>[/QUOTE]

Since when, you've been having them for years..... Clarkson, Coles, Phillips, the list goes on!

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Since when, you've been having them for years..... Clarkson, Coles, Phillips, the list goes on![/QUOTE]

Since Akinde. Since then I wanted to stay away from your rejects. I still have nightmares over him <ok>

Supcon72 likes this.