1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread UTD v some team that we will LOSE against

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by HRH Custard VC, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Stalker

Personally...I don't really remember but I suspect not. I was 11 when he became the manager and had no expectations beyond the occasional cup run. We were way off the pace when he joined and bar the one season that we finished second soon after he joined, we were still way off the pace. Liverpool and Everton were established as really top teams, amongst the best in Europe and then a very strong Arsenal team came along. United at that time needed an overhaul from top to bottom. It was nothing like the club it is today.

2. UnitedinRed

UnitedinRed Well-Known Member

Let me assist you with that <whistle>

please log in to view this image

:)

3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I was 14 when Big Ron was sacked. You talking about Docherty? He was before my time yes you old git <laugh>

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

So what you're saying is...he makes an effort in pre-season friendlies <laugh>

5. Stan

Stan Stalker

Spookily I said something similar to my son yesterday. I used to enjoy watching England until Sven took over. I now don't really look forward to United's games as I know it's most likely going to be 90 minutes of dullness, even when we win. The lad asked me why I watch them and I told him because I have to!

6. UnitedinRed

Fair enough, you don't really worry about that sort of stuff when you are younger as you say. I think his confidence was key and why it eventually worked out so brilliantly. Even when people were on his back, he still believed in himself. Great trait for a manager, or anyone to have.

I'm worried the current manager is doubting himself. And that's a problem. Its why Fergie was and to a lesser extent, Jose, Pep etc are considered the top managers.

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

<laugh>

I actually had some hope before the game yesterday. Thinking the need to play attacking football would be forced upon LVG. What I forgot was LVG's idea of attacking football is punt it upfield as quickly as you can or get it out wide and swing in some crosses.

8. Stan

Stan Stalker

Few things

1. he hasn't got off his arse in the past few games when we've been boring the football world to death
    2. you said the other day that he made a comment about how he didn't see the point in managing from the touchline
    3. put down the folder, you look like a ****ing sales rep!

9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

And that will never change <laugh>

UnitedinRed likes this.
  10. UnitedinRed

Didn't have time to check the games. Some PL and CL games. I'm not dismissing Stans point, he doesn't get up very often but it does happen. Its not like he's never got on the side line and yelled a thing or two.

I just don't see the impact its supposed to have. I understand what is being suggested, passion, drive the team on etc but I don't think the effects are there.

Many players will tell you that you can't even hear the manager anyway, unless there's a stoppage and your close to him.

11. UnitedinRed

It is similar to today though. Well when van Gaal came in at least. Are you saying we didn't need an overhaul from top to bottom? At least on the football side.

12. UnitedinRed

Seriously though, what real effect does it have? Loads do it, but what does it actually do.

Surely the opponent will be pretty wise to your plan, having heard you scream it out. And I am betting van Gaals pretty incoherent shouting in English, he's pretty bad just speaking it. He probably shouts in Dutch or German which is great for BFS or Blind/Memphis, not so good for Rooney or Smalling...

So maybe its better if players receive instruction in a more subtle way.

13. Stan

Stan Stalker

We needed an overhaul on the football side under LVG but not to the same degree or with the same approach. We'd won the league 18 months previously and there was a blank cheque book. The drinking culture at United when Fergie took over was almost terminal for the team. The club wasn't run professionally and every level needed to be restructured. People who say Fergie got lucky with the class of 92 are talking through their holes. Without Fergie making changes to the youth set up in the 80's the class of 92 would never have happened.

So no disrespect but LVG's situation is not really very similar to Fergie's at all. He's able to largely focus on the first team squad and U21s. He also isn't up against the kind of opposition Fergie face in the late 80's and early 90's. It's easy to forget just how good those Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal teams were. The year he really blew it was Leeds in 91/2. We should have won that league.

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Semophore?

15. Stan

Stan Stalker

Everyone in the stadium knew when Fergie was on his feet. They do with Mourinho as well. It impacted them all in some way.

16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Van Gaal's new approach from the touchline... 40 seconds and counting

17. UnitedinRed

Of course the situations were different. Each with its own problems. I see our deadwood issue as something similar to the problem with the drinking culture. Itbwas holding us back. Fergie masked this and won titles with some players who really shouldn't have, but that was his genius.

There's an argument both acted to quickly, making massive changes that had a negative impact on the club. Fergie had a lot of people very unhappy with how he tore up the club while others realised it needed to be done. Same with van Gaal. Obviously van Gaal is getting on and won't give us 25 years, if he was 44, then maybe people would feel slightly different. The fact he's not going to be here past next season will make it difficult to see any progress.

As for the opposition, its safe to say the top sides, aren't all that good right now. Bit below the top 4, there's some real quality. Almost every team has someone who is dangerous and capable. This wasn't the case for a long time in the PL, with massive gaps between the top 4 and the rest. So its no easier.

The big difference is money. Massive difference but a completely different football world in that sense. £1million fees were mental in those days and they quickly escalated, year on year.

18. BobbyD

BobbyD President

But hasn't LVG already had a full season to settle?

19. Stan

Stan Stalker

Details.

20. Stan

Stan Stalker

Rafa was always a good one for making notes. I saw he was at it again this evening. He's old fashioned though and uses a little notebook. The waiter's best friend.