1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

US Open: 26th August - 9th September

Discussion in 'Tennis' started by The Raging Oxter, Aug 21, 2013.

1. robertmorrell74@hotmail.com

Very interesting points - but remember the Aussie Open when Novak beat Andy in about 5 hourse ina five setter then beat Nadal in 5 sets in about 6? Novak can do it against Rafa. If Andy faces Rafa he can beat him but needs to serve well. If he keeps giving Rafa his weak second serve he'll be in trouble. I think based on form Rafa will take the title but he's not a dead cert. My feeling is that the likely final will be Novak vs Rafa and it will go the full 5 sets.

2. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

I know that Novak CAN do it, I just don't think he will. I actually think the yanks will want Andy to win and I think the crowd always makes a difference where Andy is concerned. As I said, I would like Andy to win it but if he doesn't I will be hoping Rafael does.

3. The Raging Oxter

The Raging Oxter Well-Known Member

Nadal walloped Robredo 6-0 6-2 6-2 <yikes>

Really can't see anyone else for the title (although I hope Murray proves me wrong!)

4. WestCountrylalala

Forum Moderator

I agree.

5. WestCountrylalala

Forum Moderator

Murray in serious trouble, about to go 2 sets down and looking out-of-sorts @ Flushing Meadows today.

6. robertmorrell74@hotmail.com

Well I was totally wrong by two predictions, one for Gasquet and the Murray QF. Gasquet did well to beat Ferrer in and watched Stan beat Andy very convincingly today. Andy looked really flat and even despite how well Stan played, for which I give great credit for, Andy should have tried different things if his first plan didn't work. Stan was the better player on the day and if we look at things in the cold light of day, Andy quite frankly has been below par for the North American hard-court swing. What I think Andy needs to do is sit down with his coach, watch a tape of the match and see what things he needs to work on and just keep working hard. I think he will bounce back, but needs to try and win the remaining Masters events leading up to the O2. His year hasn't been all that bad in truth, he got to the final in Australia and if it hadn't of been for Novak playing well from 4-3 up in the 3rd set, Andy may have won the Aussie Open. He won another Slam - Wimbledon, and that will be tough to defend next year. However, hopefully he will learn from this loss.

In truth, if Stan plays like this he can win the whole thing - he can trouble Novak and Rafa as he will prevent them getting the first strike in, and Rafa has been doing this a lot lately. If I'm being realistic, I think Novak will beat Stan but it will go long, probably 4-5 sets. Rafa will beat Richard in 3-4 sets. Final will be very close and it can go either way, it'll go 5 sets and if Novak plays like he can, I think he will take Rafa out. But, at this point, Rafa is now the favourite.

7. RonnieCFC

RonnieCFC Member

Yeah, Murray was just simply outplayed by Wawrinka who could really challenge Novak if he plays like he did against Andy. But he seems to be already be looking back on a very good season but there are still a couple of Masters 1000 events left, the ATP World Tour Finals in London and the Davis Cup, so let's just hope he doesn't completely look ahead to next season.

8. The Cunnilungus Connoisseur

The Cunnilungus Connoisseur Official POTY 2011, 2014, 2015, 2018 & 2023

Can't see past Nadal tonight, sadly.

I think he'll go on and beat Roger's GS record too.

His 9 month drug fuelled rehab (allegedly) has certainly given him renewed vigour.

9. The Cunnilungus Connoisseur

How they've done so far, think Nadal just shades it.

please log in to view this image

10. RonnieCFC

RonnieCFC Member

Serena Williams 17th GS title last night, she is still playing great tennis at 31 makes you think how many more has she got left in here, personally 24 is reachable for her.

11. robertmorrell74@hotmail.com

Nadal deserved the title after thr way hr played the final. Djoko started slowly but then hit some kind of form and seemed to start bossing it on the first half of the third set bit a poor game to let Rafa break back, plus not taking his chance to break for 5-4 proved costly. Novak really needed his 2011 form to beat Rafa on the way he has been playing but unfortunately he only produced a set and a half of his best form which wasn't enough. On this kind of form, I think the gap between Andy and Novak and Rafa is widening and I feel Andy needs to improve more, especially be more aggressive. Also Andy has to sort out that weak second serve. So congrats Rafa and for the rest of the field, work needs to be done to live with him.

12. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Where did you hear that? I must admit, Rafa's sudden form and unstrapped knees seem to be a remarkable recovery from the player we saw capitulate at Wimbledon. Slightly suspicious but I certainly hope not enhanced by illegal substances.

13. The Cunnilungus Connoisseur

It's common knowledge in the locker rooms.

The Spanish courts covered up the biggest doping scandal ever, bigger than Armstrong.

It's no surprise that the phenomenal rise in Spanish Sports coincided with the doping scandal. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22363860

The case started by looking at cyclists, but it quickly became apparent that many other sports stars were being implicated.

Spanish footballers, Argentinian footballers, Tennis players.

The Spanish courts ordered the destruction of all blood samples after it became obvious how badly it would damage Spanish 'achievements'.

14. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

True but no-one has mentioned Nadal by name yet right? They wouldn't dare. I guess this will all surface once he quits. If they were happy to cover up Agassi's recreational drug use, what else are the ITF and ATP prepared to let get swept under the carpet!

15. WestCountrylalala

Forum Moderator

I don't think Djokovic should be #1 seed, he isn't consistent enough. When Nadal is fit he is unbeatable. The Djok should be #2 and Murray #3 - just my opinion you understand ;)

16. barlow15

barlow15 New Member

There is much people discuss about, which player long years exist top ten ranks in tennis match. In my opinion, until now Novak Djokovic is keep first rank on tennis match. I suppose, he is a one of talent, confident and peaceful person. 2015 US open tennis match will go to begin within some months. I know where to buy cheap tickets to the US open tennis match. I will watch this match with our friends.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015