1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Up next, i will let Scoggy tell you (The Yellows) who play in Amber/Orange

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Very disjointed game.

2. Southcoastoldgaffer

Well, thats it folks, what a big disappointment after such a great run. Very little created, Woolfy made some serious errors, I also think starting with the 2 changes was a mistake. I dont want to see Norwood in a blues shirt again.
    No penetration, few shots that tested their keeper and all rather disjointed.

Roll on next season, and hats off to Cambridge.

Redruth likes this.
  3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Now let's see some experimentation. No point in giving any more minutes to Bonne / Thompson / Bakinson.

4. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Not a great game from us today, looks like we'll be finishing the season in ninth this year.

Personally I think McKenna made a mistake starting Carroll and Norwood. Carroll did little in the middle and Norwood did less up top. That's pretty much our season done now.

5. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

All my fault... I'll keep my fat gob shut in future

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Now we have to hope that McKenna doesn't get too comfortable and adjust to our level. He's not dealt at all with the issue of scoring goals and today he's got the selection horribly wrong. We need at least four quality players in over the summer to have a shot at next season.

7. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Poor performance,Cambridge came with a plan and stuck with it.Whilst I’d love us to be able to play our way out of this League and know KMc’s style is the long term way forward I think sometimes we’ve got to be a bit more tactically cute.Today I think we should have started with two up front and been more direct until we were a goal or two up,then we’d have earned the right to play our footie.

McKenna doesn’t BS with assessments though and I much prefer that to the past clowns who’d have tried to make out that was a “good performance “!

8. Southcoastoldgaffer

I think we all agree it was a poor selection today.

And he has to find 2 top strikers and a left wingback.

Lets hope the season doesnt fizzle out, and as Hampy says, good time to bring in some U 23s.

9. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Not to second guess KMs thinking but I wonder if the game plan was that having Norwood leading the line would encourage a bit more physicality/directness from us.

Whatever his thinking, it was all wrong today, and any last vestige of hope of the playoff has been lost. But let's avoid swinging from one extreme to the other. We have regularly discussed the limitations of our squad, we know KM is learning as he goes. Today was a misstep but there's been enough positives over the last couple of months to stay positive that we'll be challenging at the top end next season.

10. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Joe Ironside showed how to play the lone striker role today - its a shame he played for the opposition. He bullied the defence (especially Wolfie) all day. It was nice to see an away side come and try and win the game rather than playing for a draw. As this season is now over, hope we will see kmc playing the players that will be here next year. Not sold on Thompson - think he needs much more help than he gets. On the right JD backs up Burns all the time - not sure who backs up Thompson. Carroll is a nice footballer but I’ve seen enough of him now to know that he doesn’t want to get stuck in when things are not going well. Over the summer, as well as the forward positions, we need a partner for Morsy and a permanent LWB. 26000 at the game today and I’m guessing at the start of next season, crowds will be high and expectant. We simply have to hit the ground running next season

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Youre right that the balance is not there but if you look at what Cresswell can do both defensively and with the ball in the attacking third then Thompson just comes up short on every aspect of his game.

12. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

There aren’t many British left-backs of the last few years who wouldn’t suffer in comparison to Cresswell he was a class act all round.

13. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I’m hindsight, McKenna’s selection was wrong and he showed an uncharacteristic lack of flexibility with the game plan until it was arguably too late. Hopefully these remaining few matches will help him and his coaching staff in their assessment of who should stay and who should be moved on. I’m sure Ashton and the transfer committee will also have their eyes on a few targets. As mentioned above, a left back/left wing back, central midfielder, and a couple of strikers should be the first names on the list. I’m surprised that Bonne and Norwood have been unable to push on in the second half of this season.

While the Cambridge loss was disappointing and unexpected, I’m not overly frustrated in the grand scheme of things. When McKenna came in, I thought we faced a massive uphill struggle to be part of the play off conversation as we were so off the pace in the league table, consistently inconsistent, and still looked in transition after a summer of massive upheaval. So, anything this season would have been a bonus. It’s a shame it looks all over though. Under McKenna, we are clearly a better coached side and we are a lot more consistent. Our tendency to grind out convincing wins to nil will also hopefully continue next season, after we've got a bit more firepower.

I know the club’s staff, coaches, and players will have to give the impression of being positive and going for wins - while there’s still a mathematical chance of play offs. However, I hope we get to see a few young lads and fringe players come in and get a chance, over those that will return to their parent clubs after the month is up. Apart from Celina, who is a true “stand up out of your seat” player.

14. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Personally think we should sell, release or send back.....

Thompson
    Carroll
    Nogood
    Bonne
    Pigott
    Harper
    Kenlock

Need to sign a new left wing back and keep Penney as back up.

Need at least two new strikers and keep Jackson to compliment

For me .... that's it, i know people say we need someone to play alongside Morsy but I think Evans and Bakinson are fine in that role and good enough to get us out of this god forsaken league!!

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Bakinson is not our player. I don’t rate Evans either (although he is just about good enough for this level). We do have Humphries though. And Tom Carroll is falling victim to exactly the same treatment as the forwards. He was the reason we lost Saturday but we know he’s got a bit of pedigree. Without a bit of a run in the side coming into a game cold and expected to show your best to before getting dropped again.

So maybe we can soldier on in midfield but we can’t soldier on with the forwards and the left side.

16. Southcoastoldgaffer

Bakinson and Morsy are a class combo, compliment each other and played really well and like each other! That was MK's biggest mistake Saturday. If it aint broke, why try to fix it?

Agree with all of Spanish choice exits, but cant we buy Bakinson? Shame about Bonne tho, just hasnt worked out. Hampy has a point about Carroll, but he didnt turn up.

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Mick Mills was keen on buying Bonne, which I think is too much of a risk.

The big question is - can McKenna see what is blindingly obvious to the rest of us?

18. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

I know Bakinson is not our player but I don't think it will be too difficult to make him our player and by not listing him that meant i would keep him, therefore try to sign him or extend loan.

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I have my doubts whether we can sign him and whether we will try to (we should try IMHO).

Spanish likes this.
  20. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Only seen the highlights and whilst clearly McKenna has improved us, there are still areas we need to improve many of which have been common since before his arrival. Defensively we look sound, are conceding very few chances and very few set pieces. Though from an attacking sense that left hand side needs looking at, not expecting the same type of player as Burns but certainly someone more attacking, as many have said Thompson looks more like a full back.

I'm still not convinced by Bakinson, shows some really good things but equally looks lacksidaisical at times and for me in the position he plays you need a bit more consistency. With the loss of Downes it's probably the one area we haven't improved since last season. Apart from Morsey I haven't been particularly convinced by anyone.

Whilst it seems as everyone says strikers are a priority in the summer with the quality we have in forward positions we should be scoring more goals. Apart from the odd game we haven't consistently created enough chances or something which has been a weakness all season been able to hold the ball up the top part of the pitch for long enough whether that be the strikers or the other attacking players and again all season if Burns doesn't play well create or score we rarely do anything. Whilst we scored alot more goals under Cook at the time I still felt we weren't consistently creating enough in forward positions we just had a striker in the form of his life. In summary whilst I expect strikers will be a priority I don't think the personnel are a huge issue, finding the right balance and getting the best out of what we've got is and I think Cook and McKenna have failed in that instance given the players we have. McKenna has got the best out of our defenders playing to their strengths but I don't think the same can be said at the top end. Cook was too rigid in his play whereas sometimes I feel McKenna tries to be too cute talking of patterns of play and chopping and changing to confuse the opposition when sometimes I think we just need a couple of lumps in the box and for the ball to be put in there and play off the second ball

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.