1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread up for the Cup Oxford

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Nov 30, 2018.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

The one thing about Joel Grant is that he stays out there on the left, whereas Lameiras and Carey interchange and even play together on one side for short spells. They get closer to the central striker rather than being wingers.

It sounds like this is one we should have won at least. Never good to lose but better to lose like that than be outplayed as we were by Luton.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Only an attendance of 5984 today....but elsewhere there was some very poor turn outs.

Charlton v Doncaster had only 3249 in the ground.....the place looked empty on the telly.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It is disappointing that out of 17 shots on goal only 2 were on target.

Also we had 12 corners without any success.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm never sure what formation Derek Adams is trying to play....but it is evident that the system comes first and who he plays comes second.

To play two of his best players for a total of only 21 minutes plus injury time.....is surely self defeating and that's what happened defeat.

Carey isn't a shadow of the player he was last season...but to drop him is not really an option...just needs one moment of magic and the ball is in the net.

A lot of Carey's success came because he played alongside Lameiras, who for some unknown reason is playing off the subs bench these days....if you link those two up with Taylor you then have the winning combination that saw us go on a winning run last season....which petered out when Taylor got injured during the final run-in.

I feel that Derek Adams should pick certain players and then work out what his formation will be.....so we have Carey, Lameiras & Taylor as starters and we need to add to that list Joel Grant and Ladapo who have both played well this season and then Adams and his coaching staff need to earn their money by moulding them into a winning team.

In January Adams needs to bolster these five players with strength in defence and decide who is our best goalkeeper....because of late there has been question marks about Macey and his lack of claiming crosses and him being 6ft 7in tall that should be his strong point.

5. notDistantGreen

Don't agree about Carey relying on Lameiras. You are right about Carey not being on top form and indeed he started last season poorly. On a good day though his dead ball kicking alone justifies his shirt, plus he works a lot harder defensively than Lameiras, who just about vanishes when the other side have the ball.

Joel Grant is playing pretty well, beating defenders with the ball at his feet, and is a more direct threat than the sometimes over elaborate Lameiras. He also scored a belter against Luton.

You may get the impression I'm not totally convinced by Lameiras. I'm not. Brilliant in flashes but flashes aren't enough. Last 20 minutes is about right in my opinion.

Similarly Ryan Taylor. I am a 100% fan of his a real warrior, but when Ladapo lights the fires he's a wonder to behold. He's potentially a striker the likes of which we havent seen at Home Park since Ebanks-Blake.

I don't envy Adams his job...

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Forgot to mention this yesterday as a message for Lyndy. Don't know if you said something at work about the tannoy system and where they stand at half time but yesterday I heard every word including the 50/50 numbers. It is obvious that the further down the pitch they stand the worse the sound gets so if they stay in the middle then it should be fine. Thank you if this was down to you. The sad part was I was only 20 numbers out for the cash damn it. I normally don't get disappointed till I get home much later...........

7. notDistantGreen

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Have you self destructed...notDistant.....<yikes>.

9. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's a bit worrying isn't it plym. It's like the internet bites back.................

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

That's what happens with a fancy phone....:rolleyes:.

11. notDistantGreen

I was enquiring after Sensible's Oxford match report only to find after posting that I'd missed it!

12. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Cant take all the credit , but thank you. It is still not brilliant, but as you said , is better-there are still some mechanical/electrical problems but the announcer's position is also key.