1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Up for the cup!? Exeter. Away.

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Great comment Yorkie.

I'm always very much a result first, style of play 2nd but lets not be fooled - I LOVE open expansive footy IF you have the personnel to play it.

Given our TINY budget - we're not likely to be able to get a team of such players in this league so I've always been a bit HMMM about it.

With you though, lack of effort for ANY system cannot be tolerated. If one man isn't doing his job and so on so on... we're in trouble.

2. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

It looks like one of those defining match this Saturday:

For the new players & their confidence
    The manager and his chosen style
    His selection, his tactics - why on earth he hasnt played his two biggest new and most expensive players up front, is beyond me
    The fans - who are pleased at his arrival, ready to give him time, shown good support, but equally ready to give him a length of rope after a month!
    The Club - major changes, atmosphere, mood...all could turn nasty and bickery.

How different it might have been if we had won just one of the opening 3 games.

An all round massive improvement in performance, attitude and effort is needed.

How I wish I could be there! In spirit..and in Adnams of course!

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I don't think we can read much into the rest of the games in August unless we can somehow win two or three of them - we need to win at least three of our September games or we'll be looking at a relegation dogfight.

4. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Staying positive:

Bishop and Rowe back.
    I now know I once again acctually care. A result hasn't got me that annoyed in a long time.

Not seen any performance so far, so can't really comment on that but it seems clear we don't have the cohesiveness yet to pick apart defences. Defence then left exposed. PH preached importance of pre season but most of that squad last night didn't have it with us. Poor planning by someone.

Staying hopeful it will click, but there are worrying spectres of the PJ team of all show, no substance.

5. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Hurst said in his interview that he thought the players attitude was the problem and therefore they didn't give 100%, well if the players aren't motivated although being paid several thousands of pounds a week doing a job that most of us would gladly pay for to wear our local Clubs shirt then they can't stay here, and if the manager can't instill enthusiasm into the players then he's sadly lacking in management skills.

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Lots of factors at play here. A long journey to play in a Mickey Mouse tournament we have little chance of winning, new players bedding in and established ones threatened by new ones, a poor start to the season, fear factor, harder training.

We can’t say that the players aren’t motivated generally - I certainly saw no evidence of that at a Rotherham.

7. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Just watched the highlights.

1. Possibly extended highlights but it's nice to watch clips of us attacking for a change.
    2. Two biggest moments of danger on the reel were products of the old regime, attempted long ball ended up with Exeter counter attacking. Chambers error led to the free kick. Though how on earth professional defenders - no matter what level they play at - can turn that delivery into a goal is beyond me
    3. Jackson, good to see pace and attacking mindset, looks like he needs an outlet or we'll quickly get frustrated at end product.

Overall I'm actually a little more positive for seeing the highlights, but doesn't change the fact we need to turn possession into goals, quickly

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Based on the highlights, it's nearly all half chances again. The goal comes from Jackson wide left. In a 4-3-3 he should be in the middle. He can't cover the entire width of the pitch alone. There is nothing to suggest we can create enough clear chances to score 3, 4 goals in a game which should always be the aim.

Defensively a mess and lucky to make it to penalties.

Westlake33 likes this.
  9. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Defensively all over the shop.

Offensively tepid.

Recipe = Come on Witchdoctor, give us the magic words. Work to do..........