1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Unproven Man Utd players

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Hizmo, Jan 25, 2011.

1. merrysupersteve

merrysupersteve Active Member

Yeah, In the WC he was conspicuous by his absence.

2. Ashbees Plums

Ashbees Plums Member

I was there, Hull v QPR, it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on a football pitch- the guy doesn't just need a dummy he needs his own kindergarten with toys in it!

3. Four2Three1©

Four2Three1© Active Member

Haha. :D:D
    Yeah, it was on the Hull Thread that I heard about this.
    Honestly speaking, I've only seen him three or four times. Ashbee, would you say, talent wise, he would cut it at Old Trafford?

4. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Amazing how many fans don't understand how the FFP rules and footballing accounting work.

Players are not included as an expense in the year in which they are bought. They are included as an asset on the balance sheet at the purchase price, and then amortised (reduced in value) over the course of their initial contract. In our most recent 2009/10 financial statements, the amortisation charge was around £35 million, which will cover the ongoing amortisation of players like Berbatov, Anderson, Nani and so on, as well as more recent ones like Valencia.

So if you buy a player for £50 million on a five year contract, the relevant expenditure under the FFP rules would be £10 million per year. Which means that with our £60 million cash profit after interest payments, we could theoretically spend £350 million in a single season provided we signed five year contracts with all the players we bought. That £350 million would work out at £70 million a year in amortisation charges, and thus would give us a net loss of £10 million. Under FFP rules you're allowed around a £10 million loss per season over a three year period. Of course this would assume we didn't buy any more players for the next five years, and that our revenue levels remained stable. But it's not going to restrict us as long as our cash profit remains so high.

The FFP rules are only really going to affect clubs like Chelsea, who have only a £3 million cash profit, and Man City who have around a £50 million cash loss.

Having said that, I agree that we are better off looking for players with great potential, particularly in central midfield. All of our best midfielders over the past twenty years have been players we either brought through, or signed at a young age. Scholes, Giggs and Beckham all came through the ranks, Ronaldo and Nani joined young, and Ince and Keane were both signed within a couple of months of their 22nd birthday. Midfield, and CM in particular, seems to be the one area where big money signings don't work out all that great for us.

5. manutd

manutd New Member

all I understand is what is the point in signing young players when they are never going to get a chance. Players like cleverly, Pogba and morrison are knocking the doors and begging for a chance but we play gems and class acts like Gibson, Obertan and Fletcher.

6. Constcrepe

Constcrepe Active Member

As was most of the top players to be fair.