1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Underwhelmed

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Jul 23, 2018.

1. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

The Waghorn issue, it looks as though he will go when Evans gets the cash he's after otherwise he surely would have played v W H ? August 1st is Wednesday and time is slipping away for us to get a replacement if necessary, this brings back unpleasant memories of the Murphy fiasco so surely Evans cant let this situation arise again, If hes going then get it done so Hurst knows where he stands re a striker, there's a huge profit for Evans as usual so get it done one way or the other.

2. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

Vydra move to Leeds is off. Derby can’t now afford wag horn so he is yours.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Other clubs are in for him. If we get the cash touted for him then Hurst can do more with the money than he can the player so I hope it happens.

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  4. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I've heard from a couple of hammers fans, that Hugill will be offloaded and possibly the option of a season long loan deal...
    Waddya reckon - could we attract him?

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I would much rather we weren't signing loan attacking players. They are the most valuable players so it makes no financial sense to develop another club's player. Maybe if we had an eye on promotion it's something to do in January to give us an edge - but I don't think we do this season so it's a waste of a position.

6. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

The FourFourTwo season preview guide have us tipped to finish 22nd and relegated. I traditionally get it every year, but don't buy it regularly, and it's the first time I remember them predicting a relegation for us. The Ipswich supporter they interviewed has us finishing 8th, so not all that bad! Reading the preview though, the writer has rightly or wrongly totally bought into the 'Magic Mick always overachieving narrative' and has maybe placed a bit too much faith in all our departing players being of a high quality (name-checks Kevin Bru, for heaven's sake).

7. stretchyboy

We all know we aren't going to finish in the top six, or even top ten for that matter. When you bring in a manager like Hurst (young, from the lower, lower leagues), then the emphasis is going to be on building a team/squad over time. If we finish mid table, then that will be a decent season, with the expectation for us to do better the following season. We aren't attracting big name players, and Hurst is building a team of hungry young(ish) players who want to prove themselves.
    I think it will be a typical Ipswich season, no chance of going up, and highly unlikely we'll go down...consolidate our position, bed some youth into our first XI, and get the style of football more enjoyable, which will attract more fans.
    I know the bookies have us down as favourites for relegation, but there genuinely are at least a handful of teams worse than us. I think the start will be crucial..if we can get a few wins on the board early enough, we'll have a decent season...if we do a Jewell and win one of opening 13, then it will be a mountain to climb with an inexperienced manager

8. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I agree I think he will be a one season wonder ...so now is the time to cash in.

Nuggets and Westlake33 like this.
  9. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Oh we have absolutely zero chance of going up this season.

In my mind, you cannot sell your best players - Webster ( yes a sicknote ) Waghorn WILL be going them, release them with lower league players and all is rosy in the garden.

Sure, we're going to play FAR better footy - however that isn't without it's problems. We got caught for fun vs West Ham with overplaying. If you overplay with a leaky defence, people won't like this, but you are a side BANG in trouble.

We'll have to see, but I think there are 3 leagues in this division.

Top 8 pot - Sides with plenty ££££ / spent well. The likes of Forest / Stoke / Swansea / Blades etc.

Then you have 9 - 16. Sides with good players, have spent well in the past and absolutely far too good for the bottom end - probably Norwich / Villa / Bristol City / Leeds / Sheff Weds.

Then you have 17 - 24. Some CLEARLY look likely to struggle, Rotherham / Bolton / Reading / QPR

If I had to put us in a mini league, sorry folks, but all day long it's 17 - 24. That's subject to change IF we get a bit of quality in, but I think we're quite light at the minute.

Depends how fit Huws / Dozzell can be for the season, whether Harrison clicks, and whether we get a quality CB in.

It's nothing to do with my Mick stance and a slight on Hurst - I like Hurst, want him to do well and it was very much time for a change.

Problem is, a lack of backing and maybe trying to play decent footy with a wobbly defence with certain key sicknote players = recipe for a mess in my opinion.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  10. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

We will finish fifth.

itfcptc likes this.

11. Westlake33

Oh weighty........... how I'd love that optimism.......... but HOW can we compete with-

Forest - Mendes club - Wolves the 2nd ALREADY spent £15 mill on a Portugal BALLER and added quality galore.
    Boro - Pulis gets a tune from a side, they'll be top 4.
    Stoke - have a fortune to spend, good side, and will be top 8 minimum if not top 4.
    Derby - what a squad. Signed Marriott, Mason Mount on loan. Plenty talent there.

And we're supposed to be best of the rest!?

Ahead of Leeds / Villa / Norwich / Sheff Utd / Sheff Weds / Bristol City / Swansea ( with parachute £££ ) / WBA ( with parachute £££ ) Need I go on?

While of course the season hasn't begun and I love the upbeat attitude, I just don't see it.

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

There is never zero chance of anything in football. But I'm pretty certain we will be in the Championship in 2019-20.

I think we are half a dozen players short of competing with the top clubs but we have a good base, good morale and will be well organised. Generally teams who have that don't get relegated.

13. Westlake33

We could sign 6 players we won't be competing with Forest / Stoke etc this year. They signed very much guaranteed quality. We're taking punts, not every punt is going to work.

Lot of talk that Roberts for example is totally out of his depth already.

14. stretchyboy

Signing quality players for trillions doesn't always lead to success. It's all well and good playing pretty football, but when you have a 6'6 northern centre half kicking lumps out of you on a pi$$ing tuesday night in December, then quite often they go hiding.
    I'm not worried about Florist, think they'll bomb big time..same goes for Derby, their defence is looking pretty aged atm

15. Westlake33

Forest will walk top 4 I'd say, done them to win the league can see them flying.

Saw highlights of them hammering Malaga 3-0 in Spain. Look very well balanced.

We'll see - just think it's hard. Not being negative for the sake of it, just logical.

16. Nuggets

Personally, I think Reading, Bolton, and Hull will go down. Rotherham and QPR to also be down there near the bottom. I think 15th will be where we finish, around there, but I think we'll actually improve in the second half of the season when the players become more comfortable with the style of football.

I think Stoke, Middlesbrough, Forest, and Leeds will be the top sides this season. Derby have potential, but a poor defence and a very inexperienced manager who is in a very competitive division. If I was to make two bold predictions, I think Brentford will be impressive and potentially top six and that Swansea will be bottom half. Relegated from Premier League and have lost nine first teamers and replaced them with dross.

17. Nuggets

Regardless of the 'one season wonder' conjecture, I don't think he looks remotely bothered here anymore. His mind is set on a move. Hurst has said their conversations will remain private, but I won't be surprised if he effectively handed in a transfer request but agreed to keep it private (news leaked in the press, but was denied the day after). When he was on the pitch at the half time warm up in the West Ham friendly, his body language was negative and when he retrieved the ball from the stands, he didn't so much as glance at the Ipswich fans.

£7-8m is a good fee to get, but I remain convinced we've got the time to bring in the required reinforcements and I don't have much faith that Marcus Evans will invest the necessary amount.

18. Westlake33

Agreed Nuggets he's no interest in being here any more - the sad thing is, I can see why.

He can probably double/ triple his salary elsewhere and go to a club with a bit of ambition. No brainer really his end.

Nuggets likes this.
  19. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

As good as Germany??

Nuggets likes this.
  20. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Money doesn’t buy you points on the board.
    Clubs spend loads every year and don’t succeed.
    Stoke could struggle after so long in premier.
    Derby could do well but they look that way every season...few bad results and Lampard will be under the spotlight.

I still hold a view that it’s not all about money ( outside of the prem ) I think in the championship hard work team spirit and desire can get you somewhere.

Come on you blues.........take him out.......come inside him...........shooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot.

itfcptc likes this.