1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Underwhelmed

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Jul 23, 2018.

1. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I think Waghorn could have had his best season and might not replicate it for us or anyone.......if he goes ...he goes.

Bigalreigned likes this.
  2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I agree,whilst I'd be happy if he stayed,I don't want us to remain too reliant on one player.Imagine the state we'd have been in last Season if Waghorn had got a long term injury?
    Would rather Hurst built a team that played to a system not over dependent on one individual.

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  3. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

If we can utilise that 8m (If it is even 8m) and get three 2-3m pounders, then I'm all for it.
    Really hope ME takes a different approach to the last few seasons

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Nuggets likes this.
  4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

According to Stu Watson, Waghorn hasn't handed in transfer request, no formal bid from Derby has been lodged, and Evans is saying most of the fee must be paid up front, not in clauses. Derby also need to move players on to afford both Waghorn and Marriott (who they are also heavily linked with). So it's feasible Waghorn will still be with us come the season opener against Blackburn. Where that leaves us with the rest of recruitment, with regards to transfer fees, remains to be seen.

5. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Welcome to ITFC Mr Hurst, as you can now see the Club is run by incompetent, amateurs who couldn't run a bath let alone a football club, while you try to put together a squad for the fast approaching first game of the season they will pull the rug from under you, good luck you are going to need it.

Westlake33 likes this.
  6. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I actually completely agree with you here re best season. Not entirely sure he's going to replicate that again. Knowing when to deal / sell is the hardest part in football......

What I'm really going to miss are his set pieces more than anything. I mean his corners and in swinging free kicks - jesus christ. It's all well and good putting the ball into a good area ( COUGH LEADBITTER ) .... and not the hardest thing to do especially for a professional footballer.... but to do it consistently with the pace he puts on the ball takes some doing. Causes absolute chaos at the other end, and that will be hard to replace.

On the same subject as set pieces, I can well imagine we may struggle either end this season - and games can often be decided on one.

Perhaps Harrison can score a few from them, however the delivery is key.............

Of course, now there's sod all time until Blackburn, if Waghorn goes - clubs selling to us are clearly going to want more £££ / and you'd imagine players will want more interms of wage.

An agent is clearly going to say with a contract offer ' ahhh but you've just received the Waghorn £££ ' etc.

Not long until the season begins and right now I really do not feel comfortable going into a championship season with the players we currently have. Need another 4-6 for a long hard campaign in my eyes.

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Hi guys.

Info on Harrison. Came through our youth ranks. Was very raw and very frustrating to watch. Got to the point where our manager put him on the transfer list but we couldn't even give him away. But he changed his attitude and bounced back fell back in favour. Following season he wasn't starting enough games for him so we sent him out on loan at Hartlepool for a couple of months but got injured quite early in his spell and didn't feature again for them. He has improved with each passing season although he remains frustrating to watch. He can do all the right things but then his final ball is poor. Gets caught offside a lot too. Has missed a few sitters but scored a few crackers too. He is really good in the air at both ends. Probably won more headers while defending than our own defenders. He has managed to score 4 goals in 1 game against Northampton which included a perfect hattrick scoring a header and with his left and right foot. He scored our goal in our play off final at Wembley against a certain Paul Hurst Grimsby side, to set up penalties which we won. He scored against a strong Fulham side last season in our Carabao cup 1-0 victory at Craven Cottage, scoring by running with the ball from close to the half way line. He has scored goals in our big games so pressure doesn't phase him. He scores a fair amount from the bench. With his pace at our level, coming on in the last 20 minutes, he causes so many issues for the opposition. Win penalties as well. He was known as our super sub as he probably scored most of his goals from the bench than when he starts. His scoring stats to games played ratio is deceiving because a hell of a lot of his appearances were from the bench. But last season where his performances massively improved, he became a regular and an important member of the team, ending as our top scorer. I believe he would have done a lot better if he had a strike partner who was better. We signed a striker this time last season who only scored 1 goal and made 2 assists all season and was a regular starter and played over 40 league games. If he was better, Harrison could have been even better. I am disappointed that he has gone as its left us in big issues up front and where he keeps improving with each passing season, I feel he would have been on for 20 goals this season. But I am not that disappointed because he can be so frustrating to watch with his decision making with and without the ball and I feel if the reported 750k fee is right plus add ons which should take the deal over 1.2 million, then its a great deal for us, its a great deal for the player to test himself at a higher level and better paid and a good deal for your club if you can keep improving him and continue to get the best out of him. Good luck to him and hopefully he scores a few again Bristol City ;). I am intrigued by how he gets on in the championship so I probably will pop over now and then to see how he is getting on <ok>

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Thanks for that, Jack.

We hope he will turn out to be a success

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  9. Bigalreigned

Thanks for that comprehensive assessment,Jack.

Let's hope the lad can make the next step up.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Here was most of his goals last season..... As you can see, he gets headers, tap ins, goals from inside and outside the box, vollies, runs from distance with the ball and even a gets the lucky goals too as you can see from the last goal. You can see the poacher in him too and how raw he still it,

Enjoy...

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Here was his goal a few seasons back which won the goal of the season...

12. Westlake33

Seen him quite a few times as live just south of Bristol - many a rovers fan has told me all about him.

Apparently calmed down from alcohol mess nights / occasional drug use and getting a woman up the duff to actually concentrate on playing football.

Magically last season with his head on it / he was good.

Lets hope he can push on.

13. Westlake33

Was very decent vs West Spam, more of the same please.

Talking of which, with five days until Blackburn we still look VERY short.

Big week. 4 or 5 needed I'd say if we're to have a chance of a positive season.

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

There's still a month left of the transfer window. We're alright to start the season, but we don't have the numbers yet at CB or a natural goalscorer to have a successful season.

15. Westlake33

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

17. Bigalreigned

18. Nuggets

Apparently we are close to a new centre back signing, but it's not Curtis Tilt! Accrington Stanley's manager, John Coleman, has confirmed that centre back Janoi Donacien is close to joining us. No idea on the fee right now, but he's 24, won League Two last season (and played a key part according to reports / social media), and is versatile who can also play right-back and right wing back.

I'll admit that I've never heard of this guy and seems like a solid League Two centre-back. I'll trust in Paul Hurst's judgement, but I'm hoping that Tilt is still to come and that Donacien is joining in a squad player / support role, rather than somebody who will go straight into the first team. He played almost every match for Stanley last season and has a good fitness / injury record, so that's reassuring.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Bigalreigned likes this.
  19. Westlake33

Absolutely zero clue about this CB lad - that said, he won the league with Acc last season / seems to have good attributes and worth a go.

Striker will maybe have to play out wide a bit, Hurst seems to have one #9 so maybe - sure!?

While pleased with this lower league talent approach, we don't things in half do we!? Surely we need a bit of experience etc - not all of these lower league players are going to click. Sure, some will and I'm not knocking it just stating think we need a bit of balance.

I mean, signing L1/L2 players ............ if you were an outsider looking in on ITFC now, I'd say they smack problems.

We'll see!

20. Nuggets

I think we've got enough experience in the squad. One of the positives from the McCarthy days has been the amount of games that some players have amassed over the years. We have an experienced spine of players such as Bartosz Bialkowski, Luke Chambers, Jonas Knudsen, Cole Skuse, and Freddie Sears all have over 100 Ipswich caps (all but Sears are almost guaranteed starters). The likes of Jordan Spence, Teddy Bishop, Grant Ward, and Dean Gerken on the bench have over 60 Ipswich caps. If we retain Joey Garner and Martyn Waghorn, that's also quite a bit of proven experience to draw upon.

itfcptc likes this.