1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Underwhelmed

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Jul 23, 2018.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Town are set to sign Ellis Harrison from Bristol Rovers. He's consistently averaged around a goal per season in the Conference, League Two and League One.

I would like to see us sign players who can put the ball in the net in a lower division - Jack Marriott, Brett Pitman, those kinds of player.

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Generally, the lack of goals at League 1 level is a bit concerning for me, as is his injury record as he missed a few games. Having said that, he scored 14 last season, he has lightning quick pace, and the Bristol Rovers supporters sound devastated on social media. Also note that Jon Walters had a poor scoring record in the lower leagues but turned out alright for us. I'm hoping that he is the intended replacement for McGoldrick, and not Waghorn, as Harrison gives us something different up front. I can't foresee him posting similar stats to Waghorn last season, but hopefully he can provide assists and net double figures.

I'm also hoping that we can get this Bradshaw lad from Barnsley in, as he's got a consistent scoring record at Championship level. Then we can probably shed Sears or Garner from the squad.

3. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Sign of the times yorkie, but if there's a player who can be a late developer with the right guidance and team mates then hopefully we can benefit, but generally speaking I haven't been enthused enough to get a season ticket yet, but time will tell.

4. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Players that have scored lots of goals cost lots of money even from lower divisions and are more likely to be found wanting at a higher level, if the manager can see him fitting in and doing a good job I can’t see an issue. We are not gonna be buying superstars or the hottest prospects from lge1 and 2 we will have to look for players that have potential that for one reason or another they haven’t reached yet.

I’m quite looking forward to the season I think PH is just as realistic as MM but without the negativity and bluster.

itfcptc likes this.
  5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Agree Weighty, except that we don't want players who haven't reached their potential and aren't really shining, or at the limits of their potential. We want players who are achieving their potential, albeit at a lower level or abroad.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    fieldmarshall likes this.
  6. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

He scored 12 in the league below us last year.

24, with pace. I live in Bristol and know a lot about the lad, bit of a headcase when young.......... not going to elaborate as perhaps not worth knowing but apparently headstraight now.

However, this will be the biggest fee we've spent on ONE player since the Jewell days.

I was underwhelmed when we signed Waghorn last season but that went alright! Same when we signed Alan Lee. Others.

Not convinced he's good enough to play a #9, but for the fee quoted - well worth a spin.

7. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I think we agree. We need them to reach their potential when they play here not before we get them.

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Jamie Vardy had a better than 3 in 4 scoring ratio at Halifax and Fleetwood. Andy Cook who got 27 goals in the National League went to Walsall on a free. There's nothing wrong with signing attacking players who don't score goals but we need at least one goal hungry striker in the team.

9. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

All we can do at this stage is trust that PH is doing the best he can to bring in players to suit the setup he is after within the financial constraints at play.

Nuggets and WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM like this.
  10. Nuggets

I think a large part of the potential goal scoring issues derive from the Waghorn issue. If he stays, then playing with fast wingers will help him get goals. If he’s potentially partnered alongside a pacey forward with an eye for goal, like Harrison, then that approach should also contribute goals.

If, however, we sell Waghorn and fail to bring in further reinforcements, then do you think an injury-prone Garner (who may not suit Hurst’s system), an untested Harrison, and an out-of-form Sears will be reliable answers of the course of the season? Ideally, I’d like us to keep Waghorn, bring in another striker (like Bradshaw from Barnsley who has a good record at this level), and offload either Garner or Sears.

11. Westlake33

If this signing underwhelms you mate - and I've seen him live probably 10 - 20 times...... with not being 100% sure be prepared to be massively underwhelmed the rest of the summer.....

You guys realise including top ups and everything, IF this deal goes through, it's the biggest fee we've spent since the JEWELL days!?

Seriously let that sink in.

How are we EVER going to get promoted?!

People aren't going to like this, but we're FAR more likely to be relegated before promotion. Far more. Under Hurst, whoever follows Hurst etc. It's a bloody impossible job.

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Westlake, I don't think we are in any danger of being relegated. I do think it is the strongest ever Championship season though so I don't think we have any chance of bothering the autos.

It's really going to be November / December before we know what Hurst is capable of. If we don't win our first few fixtures there will be some drama queens on social media getting upset - but I hope we have a new manager bounce and hit the ground running.

13. Westlake33

Yeah the man needs time.

I'll always give any manager a bucket tonne of it bar Keane.

I was like that with Mick and unless Hurst does really really silly things / things I completely disagree with I'll be the same with him.

Here's hoping for another 3-5 signings that we desperately need and a good campaign.

fieldmarshall and Nuggets like this.
  14. Nuggets

Similar thoughts to you there, Westy. I think we should be seeing a much better style of football at Portman Road (and about time), but this is clearly going to be a transitional season. If we can get in that left back from Scunthorpe, Tilt from Blackpool, the traditional stand out loanee at left wing, and maybe Bradshaw from Barnsley, then I’ll be feeling a lot more confident as we clearly still need more quality and cover.

15. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Lets face it with the 3 Clubs coming down and Villa, Boro, Forest, and Derby who must surely soon get it right, plus 2 or 3 dark horses we don't stand much of a chance of promotion which is fine by me as long as we get an improvement in playing standards, finish higher than last season, and most importantly re connect with the fans and the area.
    I defended MM for a long time until it was obvious he had run out of ideas which then translated into animosity from the dwindling fans, MM replied by telling them to F off at Carrot Rd which proved the situation had completely broken down, now we have a fresh start with a new manager with new ideas which hopefully will remind fans how lucky we are to have a league Club in our area, in fact the only league Club in Suffolk.
    Theres much work to be done and I really hope this is the start of better times.

San Diego and Bigalreigned like this.
  16. Westlake33

I've actually done Forest to win the league a month ago, got 20-1. They've been cut to around 10-1 already. Mendes club, like Wolves last term. They'll either go up this or next season.

Then you've got the three parachute clubs ( be it WBA look a train wreck at present ) .....
    * Villa + Leeds god knows!? But COULD get it right.
    * Brum / Norwich / Sheff Weds likely to be much improved this season. Good summers for all.
    * Brentford appear fancied. The other Sheffield club. Derby always spend some ££££ and have a go.

My end,,,,,,,, it's just a big ask us to do an awful lot this term given our transfer activity to date.

Not going to give a final prediction until our transfer dealings are complete before Blackburn H - but even then, that may not be the full story! More loans possible until August 31.

Good luck Hurst - I'll certainly be patient.

This will sound massively unambitious, however if you could do the following right now, I'd be happy this season
    * Bring more kids through, give more youth a chance
    * Play better footy than Mick
    * Focus on OWN tactics, not so much the opposition
    * Have less injuries by a different approach / change of physio
    * NOT be in a relegation battle all season
    * More onus on the cups

I'd take that right now. Rome wasn't built in a day and we shouldn't expect anything like play offs / probably not even top half this season.

He's inherited a squad with many he doesn't fancy / with many sicknotes / and sod all budget vs clubs with bucket loads of ££££ / managers who've been in the job a while / with squads they DO fancy.

Difficult!

17. Nuggets

Waghorn handed in a transfer request and Derby are in advanced talks after an £8m bid has been submitted. My enthusiasm and optimism for the new season is slowly draining away.

Put simply, we need Marcus Evans to use most of the approximate £13m windfall from player sales (not to mention the wage bill savings to add on to that) on new signings. Two centre backs, two strikers, a left winger, and potentially a central midfielder should all be targets before the window is closed. I just don’t have the faith that Evans will bankroll this, based on his history.

Westlake33 likes this.
  18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Are you kidding?

If we get £8m for Waghorn we have robbed Derby blind.

Championship big money transfers for average players are now a race to ruin.. it's only a matter of time before someone goes bust.

fieldmarshall and Westlake33 like this.
  19. Nuggets

£8m is a good sum of money, and a tasty profit, but worthless to the squad if it doesn’t get reinvested. We are selling arguably our best outfield player, who contributed 16 goals and 11 assists last season, with 11 days of the transfer window remaining. This squad is already thin on numbers and struggling to score in pre season. If Evans is going to bankroll some quick replacements and help bolster the squad with quality additions, then it’s a good deal. If he doesn’t, then Hurst and the supporters have been short changed.

fieldmarshall and Westlake33 like this.
  20. Westlake33

Unfortunately for us, we lose a ruddy fortune a year so a good chunk of that is just to keep us liquid / not fail FFP............

We're about to offload our best attacking talent before a balls kicked.

We'll sign a few, with the sellers knowing we're absolutely desperate to buy and up the fees. We in turn will probably S*** ourselves when a 400k offer is demanding 800k..........

Simply put, it's going to be a bloody struggle this season.

I feel for Hurst. Apparently good stuff watched by fans, but a little concerned by this pressing game interms of fitness on a waferthin squad! See what happens.

Not feeling at all ' YAY ' for the season right now. Same old, same old Ipswich. Promotion, you're aving a laugh.