1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic UK / EU Future

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I told you - you wrote too much - I have been dashing in and out and am now watching the football - will read it tomorrow :)

2. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Callaghan's greatest achievement was losing the GE to Margaret Thatcher but to be fair he did hold the four great offices of government. He was also the first to try to limit the power of the unions within the Labour Party. He governed during a very difficult period and was no less successful than Heath in taking on the unions. Maybe both Heath and Callaghan softened up the union barons only for Thatcher to apply the coup de grace.

He certainly seemed a much nicer guy than the rude arrogant Heath.

3. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Perhaps we should all be grateful to live in a country that others want to come to. North Korea don’t have an immigration problem. Anyone objecting to the flow of immigrants to countries in the EU should consider that.

Leo likes this.
  4. superhorns

If the Marxist Corbyn and McDonnell gain power the UK could also solve the immigration problem. Dover would be the new Sangatte with millions trying to escape. :emoticon-0105-wink:

5. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

North Korea is an example of how building walls and keeping others out, simply traps those already there in their own country.

Deleted....... likes this.
  6. superhorns

Thankfully after Brexit the UK will be in a position to welcome talent from the whole world when required instead of being forced to admit Romanian pickpockets / Polish drug gangs.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I was not aware that within the EU we had any restriction on welcoming talent from the whole world. I am sure we already do that brilliantly.
    I am also sure that within each group of people - whether those coming to this country from abroad or within the UK there are elements of criminal behaviour - I wonder if any study has been made comparing percentages.

8. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Your provocation is not working any more and is simply becoming boring. You know as well as I do that Britain can refuse entry to any known criminal, whatever their nationality. Unless you are prepared to issue a visa requirement for all EU. nationals - which would have a devastating effect on tourism, then there is no way that you can prevent entry to someone based only on their nationality - only on the base of their known criminality. This is a power which Britain already has. So - we both know that your text has no substance. So why produce it ? Other than to provoke a reaction of some sort.

9. superhorns

There is no restriction imposed by the EU on worldwide talent. As the UK is forced to take large numbers of economic migrants from the EU, whether required or not, it does restrict the others if the UK government decides to set an ideal limit on overall migration in future.

Of course their is good and bad in all societies, the idea after Brexit is for the UK to welcome the good and reject the bad. Most countries in the world already enjoy this basic right to decide their own immigration policy.

10. superhorns

There does seem to be an awful lot of organised gangs from the EU operating in the UK so whatever the present system is, it is not working.

11. colognehornet

Maybe it would be more appropriate to have a national registration system like in other EU. countries. In Germany (as I believe is the case in many other EU. countries) it is necessary to register every change of address with the local authorities. When you do this you get a certificate of registration - without this it is not possible to open a bank account, or join the health system. In turn, without these it is impossible to get a job anywhere. What makes Britain open to abuse is that people think it is the easiest country in the EU. to pick up semi legal, cash in hand work - there is practically no such thing as cash in hand work in Germany. Every payment here - even that of social security, is payed out by direct bank transfer here. It is not the fault of the EU. that Britain is so inefficient in these things. In other countries they know exactly how many eg. Rumanian, or Polish nationals they have - in Britain you have only estimates (which are, of course, open to abuse).

superhorns likes this.
  12. superhorns

13. colognehornet

14. superhorns

Did you read the article? Many pretended to be refugees from Kosovo. The National Crime Agency also said Romanian gangs were amongst the most prevalent offenders in human trafficking in the UK.

Mind you the Albanians do a great job on cleaning my cars in Hemel.

You are totally correct about the lack of checks in the UK, the UK is such a soft touch.

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

What is being highlighted seems to me to be foreign criminals working in the UK. I would guess that Albania is only one example - we know Russian gangs operate and I strongly suspect American ones have enoormous influence and activity too.
    So this is a different discussion - it is not about the EU but about this country effectively policing criminal gangs - where-ever they originate.

16. superhorns

I think the UK border control force has treated immigration from the EU with insufficient care similar to the police / social services dealing with allegations of Asian gang members preying on vulnerable young white girls. The under staffed force have found it much easier to allow all but the worst and obvious criminals from the EU to enter.

Post Brexit will give the UK an opportunity to get its house in order providing the handful of Tory wreckers are unsuccessful.

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

OK - I have now gone back over your previous posts but am not sure what you think I need to re-read.
    I am not talking about how the UK, the EU or anyone else actually does deal with migrants but about the principle.
    For me it is that if a person wants a better life - economic migrant - then they are welcome if it suits both them and the country they wish to go to. Each country - or area - or district will be able to make its own choices.
    If a person claims asylum due to political, religious, sexual or other discrimination their case should be considered - and as you say Cologne - swiftly - what is the adage "justice delayed is justice denied"
    Environmental problems are an entirely different matter as they do not affect individuals so much as whole populations. Solutions needed here are ones that improve living conditions - not which result in mass movement of people. War is really in this category too - people should not be driven from their homelands by war - it may be that a temporary solution to keep them safe must be found but to deny them their homeland is just wrong.

18. superhorns

Sorry, senior moment. I meant Cologne. :)

I can't argue with any of the above, hopefully it doesn't increase your chances of being called a cretin!!!!

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

You see you have identified the problem The UK border control force have not done a proper job. The solution though is not to leave a club which has turned the UK from an economic laughing stock into the second most powerful economy in Europe but to instigate proper rules and controls.. Cologne and OFH have both often told us how their host countries are far smarter than the UK in dealing with many issues - Blair's foolishness is just one example of the UK being naive. I admire your optimism that post brexit the UK will get smarter but fear otherwise.
    We obviously have different views on how brexit should go but do you not agree each person should champion the cause they believe in - whether Tory or Labour?

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Puzzled? You meant Cologne where?
    I give my views honestly and try to back them up with argument when I can - if anyone is rude to me I tend to think it reflects more on the name caller than the named so do not fear being called anything :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.