1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic UK / EU Future

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris and Nigel seemed to think we could stay in the single market and a few of them cited the Norway model. Basically they said whatever they thought people wanted to hear at any given time.

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Far from it SH. There is a list of leave figures who before the vote suggested that the country should stay in the CU and SM. This changed after the result. By the way before the vote the PM wasn't PM, so she could not have made any promises before then.

Deleted....... likes this.
  4. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

May made promises as PM which included leaving the single market and customs union. She also signalled the end of the ECJ having any future say in UK affairs and ending uncontrolled immigration from the EU.

Any leavers who may have deviating from the above must have been minor figures with little or no effect.

5. superhorns

At least he has worked in the real world.

6. Going to Sandhurst and getting brownie points by wandering round Belfast shooting his fellow Catholics to keep the top brass happy. Yeah - real world right there <laugh>

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

That is not the point is it. She only made whatever promises she did make after the vote. Therefore people did not vote for them.

8. superhorns

The same message on leaving the EU was repeatedly made by the previous PM and his Chancellor, Brexit meant leaving the single market and the customs union. That is what people voted for along with curbs on immigration and sovereignty.

9. superhorns

Are you conveniently forgetting his careers in the commercial world,? I agree he hardly set the world alight but he had experiences that unfortunately many in politics and the civil service do not.

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Cameron said that leaving the EU would mean leaving the CU and SM which would be bad for the economy. Boris said " it would be unthinkable to leave either the CU or the SM, and voting to leave would not involve doing just that." No wonder the leave vote has been shown up to be miss-mash of different ideas as to just what people did vote for.

11. superhorns

Cameron and Osborne came up with many project fear miscalculations, they even cajoled the Governor of the Bank of England , the fiddling French darling of the IMF and the US President to tell some porkies, thankfully all in vain.

There has been plenty of research done on why the majority of the actual electorate voted for Brexit. Immigration, sovereignty were the main reasons.

12. As you say it was hardly overwhelming. This is a man who can't even decide what football team he supports.

13. superhorns

Some commercial experience is better than none.

I was a Spurs supporter before I changed to the Hornets. My God father was Ron Henry, part of their 'Double' side in the early 60's. He lived locally in Redbourn and was a neighbour and friend of my father. His grandson currently plays for Stevenage.

14. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

You can do as much research as you like (by the way I would like to see some actually reliable figures on this which you have, so far, failed to produce). The truth is that people often give apparent 'reasons' for the way they vote, because they do not want to appear stupid in front of the person asking the questions. Nobody actually says 'I don't know why I did it', or 'I had to put my cross somewhere', or 'Because I like Bojo's frissure' <doh>. Or, obviously, 'I did it to get back at Cameron and Osborne'. Nobody is prepared to sound as stupid as this, and so they say the first thing that comes into their head. Maybe because the last poster they saw had a picture of thousands of dark haired people in a queue, and the last newspaper headline they saw assured them that Turkey was on the point of joining the EU. and 35 million of them were panting to come to the UK. Nobody is prepared to admit that they were just plain stupid.

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Actually I do know someone who when asked why they voted leave, said that they thought it would be more fun to have Boris as PM than it was having Cameron.

Deleted....... likes this.
  16. superhorns

Agreed there are many stupid people allowed to vote. Your point is invalid though as just as many stupid people voted to remain.

17. superhorns

That actually makes more sense that voting remain because of the scare stories.

18. I know people who voted out because of the bus and because of Turkey joining. A few did play the democracy, sovereignty etc. card but most admit it was immigration

19. superhorns

some polls recorded sovereignty and immigration on similar percentages, about 48 /49%

20. superhorns

Can they leave the car cleaners, I don't want to wash my own cars?

image.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.