1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread TYKES V BLUEBIRDS

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BluefromBridgend, Mar 6, 2020.

1. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Good morning Bluebirds. In Masky's continued self enforced absence (perhaps he can't get mobile access in prison), here's the thread for tomorrow.

We travel to Yorkshire for another tough game at Barnsley. Although in the relegation zone they have done well recently with 3 wins including a 3.0 at Fulham. I thought they were one of the better footballing sides at CCS this year and we were lucky to get a 3.2 win with a very late winner from Tomlin. Conor Chaplin is a real star for them and we will need to keep a close eye on him. Could be someone we should look at in the summer if Barnsley get relegated.

We have no new injury problems that I know of and expect us to field the same side as last week. A possible exception being a rest for Bennett and Brad Smith to start. Will Harris be that progressive?

Barnsley famous players. Over 1,000 have played for Barnsley. Not that many famous ones, Danny Blanchflower, Jan Aage Fjortoft, Georgi Hristov is their record signing at £1.5m. Famous fan, Michael Parkinson's favourite is Skinner Normanton, a bruiser from many years ago. Most players had an orange at half time. He would have a fag and a quick beer. I think Dickie Bird, ex cricket umpire is also a big fan.

Players who have played for both clubs include Michael Chopra (wish we had him at his peak with us now), Steve McPhail and the late Chris Barker.

Our best memory has to be the 1.0 FA Cup Semi Final win at Wembley. Who can forget Joe Ledley's winning goal? I remember a cold, snowy day and a fox running alongside our car on the M4 as we drove up. The goal I remember but the whole game is a bit sketchy as I was drinking half pints of cheap red wine in the pub on Baker Street where we congregated pre match. It was a good laugh encouraging bus loads of bemused Japanese tourists to do the Ayatollah.

Hope we get the win but far from positive.

2. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

If thats where he is, he might find his extra bollock comes in handy.:emoticon-0109-kiss:

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  3. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Ref is James Linnington who officiated in our win recently at Luton. Nothing controversial there I can recall<doh>

City surely must put out their most attacking team. Barnsley are in the basement for a reason presumably their defending as they aren’t bad going forward.

Should be an exciting game then<whistle>

4. BluefromBridgend

Perhaps he couldn't find somewhere safe to "store" his phone? :emoticon-0172-mooni

By the way has Aber posted since Masky became the Invisible Man? ...............

5. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well Barnsley are actually favourites to win this one, with City @ 2/1 against to get the 3 points - just wondering........:emoticon-0138-think:emoticon-0138-think

6. BluefromBridgend

I can't remember anything negative about the ref either. Gone back over his record for 7 years. Lots more wins than losses. Defeats being 0.1 at home v Preston over Christmas 2 years ago. I missed that game. The other one was 0.2 at home to QPR first game of the season 3/4 years ago.

Fingers crossed he has another positive effect for us. We need one.

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Why weren't you there that night Bluey - afraid of getting wet? :emoticon-0105-wink: Mind you it did piss down from start to finish.

Nothing to do with the ref who from memory had a very fair game on ther night, but we got shafted at the death. I remember Warnock unfairly blamed Etheridge and dropped him for the next game - very harsh.

I think Linington and John Moss have been about the best and fairest refs we've had this past few years.

8. irishbluebird

irishbluebird Well-Known Member

On the way back from Wembley our coach stopped at some traffic lights and the Barnsley team bus pulled up beside us. Their players took some stick from our supporters and could only sit there and take it till the lights changed! I almost felt sorry for them. <laugh>

9. BluefromBridgend

Was away at Poole over Christmas that year. A good one to miss.

10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I wish I'd been with you - I think it was in that spell when we lost 4 on the trot. <doh>

11. ninian opinion

It’s quite something when the identity of the ref is a talking point!

Be afraid...... Keith Stroud is so overdue<yikes>

12. BluefromBridgend

Leeds at ours' I tell you.

13. BluefromBridgend

Or Blooper Hooper again?

14. ninian opinion

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I like it.

With Tomlin out, what's the betting that Benno will get on target with a dead ball left foot strike from just outside the box?

He's at 20/1 to score and I've gone big - £2 on the nose......<laugh>

16. ninian opinion

OMG how average was that first half? No effort on goal by City. Sheer lack of quality.

17. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

It's going to take a set piece goal or a distance strike out of the blue to win this because it wont be won by football on the floor.

I watched the Wurzel/Fulham game on the box lunchtime and enjoyed it - this sort of stuff by City is embarrassing.

18. BluefromBridgend

According to BBC Live Scores, Uncle Albert had a shot saved in the bottom corner a few minutes before half time. 3 shots each for both sides but we're winning in the fouls committed stakes.

19. BluefromBridgend

Looks like it's been all us the last 10 minutes. Need a goal soon otherwise we all know what will happen........

20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Who said Linington was a decent ref? <doh>

Oh, it was me..............<laugh>