1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Tuesday 28th. July 2020

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Jul 27, 2020.

1. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

See Nass's favourite Goodwood jockey, Gerald Mosse, is back again in the UK, riding Sir Dancealot in the last! Just kidding, Nass! It is true that old Gerald does not ride Goodwood too well, but he's probably not the only one? Don't think Sir D. was good enough this time anyway, winner won comfortably and was quite impressive. Personally, I should not talk badly about Gerald M., my goodness he has done me loads of favours in the past, big races galore in France, and the Melbourne Cup downunder too. The latter was a hell of a day, massive bust-up at our 'Indian' that evening, every friend and his dog came along! <laugh>

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

I don’t remember this!! What did I say about him?

3. SwanHills

Oh yes, Nass, it was certainly quite a few years ago, but you were really tee-ed off with old Gerald once at a Goodwood meeting (rode a particularly bad race apparently.) Honestly, I swear my old heed is not playing tricks with me! However, it was indeed quite a while back. No idea why it stuck in my memory. :emoticon-0100-smile

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  4. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Great race, what a stayer.

5. stick

stick Bumper King

Some horse, went 6/5 in running

6. SwanHills

Phew, that was tough for Strad. Don't know how Frankie got him out of that mess. Great stayer, great jockey!

Archers Road likes this.
  7. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Superstar!

what a great win - days like today though make you realise what a shame there are no crowds allowed.

8. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

It doesn’t surprise me. I’ve still not forgiven Manning for his ride on Lush Lashes either. Frankie almost got done by the Goodwood factor.

SwanHills likes this.
  9. morky

morky Active Member

Thanks did £5 sfc after reading your write up

Grendel likes this.
  10. Grecian Mick

Grecian Mick Well-Known Member

Gone for ACCLAIM THE NATION drawn in stall 1. Let's see if the tricast comes from those drawn 1,2,3.

11. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Recon Mission + Caspian Prince ew @33-1 :)

LG likes this.
  12. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Good effort from old boy Caspian without troubling the judge, but Recon Mission .... <doh>

Well done those of you in the money, TTFN :)

13. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Master Of The Seas beat the same runner up by a length further last time so Battleground and the Godolphin colt are of similar ability I would reckon.

I backed Master Of Seas at 14/1 for next year's 2000 Guineas because I thought he might end the year as one of the leading 2YO colts. Battleground has certainly thrown his hat into the ring today and a clash between the two would be worth seeing.

Plenty to like about Battleground, he's got the look and scope of a horse for next season. Charlie Appleby has said he felt Master Of The Seas did much more in the early part of the season than he had expected, because he thought the colt would not peak until the second half of the year. The National Stakes was said to be an option but he would need to be supplemented and if Battleground goes there they might want to avoid a clash. The Lagardere and Futurity over 1M were likely targets for Master Of The Seas and it may be that Battleground takes the Dewhurst route into winter and we may not see them clash this year.

Battleground did all his best work in the final furlong today and a mile looks assured for the son of War Front out of Arc winner Found. Looks like the dream breeding may have paid off for a change.

14. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

I did a 2 point SF Stradivarius and 1 point single Nayef Road at 20/1.

I thought Stradivarius had a lot harder time today but he always finds more. One of the gamest horses ever.

Santiago was going better than Nayef Road at one stage but I don't think he stayed the 2 miles as well as the older horse and the forecast was assured from a reasonable way out.

CSF paid £14.08 and that's not at all bad.

Santiago was pushed out to 3/1 for the St Leger and that is a classic bookie error in the face of a defeat. He actually enhanced his chance today with an excellent run against the Gold Cup 1-2. His effort here makes him the one to beat at Doncaster because there is nothing of today's quality in the St Leger reckoning, Love and Serpentine won't be there and that probably leaves English King and William Haggas's Al Aasy as the main concerns. I am not sure if English King would relish a St Leger and Al Aasy beat a horse Al Dabaran 3 and a half lengths in the Bahrain Trophy, whereas Santiago beat the same horse 11 and a half lengths in the Queens Vase.

I'll probably have a few quid more on Santiago to top up the 12/1 bet. He should be pretty short come Leger day.

15. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Won like a proper middle distance horse like his mother. Already needs the seven furlongs and the runner-up gives the race a solid look, although that will be proven by what they subsequently do. I would not touch him for the Guineas, even though he could quite well turn up as a prep-race for Epsom, as there will surely be a miler with the speed to pick him off.

No doubt the way that the crazy ante post market works these days he will be Even money for the 2021 Derby. It is only ten months away (in theory) and the Building Society will not offer you an interest rate like that. <laugh>

16. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Stradivarius different class. Totally boxed in with nowhere to go (need to get rid of that amateur and get a decent senior jockey <laugh>), finally gets the gap and flies.

Accepted it was a different distance today, but the fact Santiago could not beat Nayef Road for second receiving fifteen pounds speaks volumes about how moderate the Classic generation might be as a collective.

Given the announcement that Stradivarius will go to the Arc, who will pick up the spare ride?

Respect also to the West Indies cricket team for coming here in tremendously challenging circumstances to play cricket. <applause> They got demolished by Stuart Broad in the last two Tests but they have shown real class the way they have represented the Caribbean. I am not sure Kraigg Brathwaite will be too pleased at the moment having secured his place in cricket history already being Jimmy Anderson’s 500th Test wicket and now also Stuart Broad’s 500th Test wicket.

Saf and LG like this.
  17. gingerninja

gingerninja Well-Known Member

Hollie Doyle up at Ayr today, nothing short of disgraceful imo, 7 rides and still she doesn't know to ride more centre of the course rather than stick to the dead ground by the rail. Rant over and not just pocket talk as she is normally a great jockey, but today she's be absolutely awful :steam::steam:

18. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

Wins <cheers>

Sugarrush, Ste D, LG and 5 others like this.
  19. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Surely Stradivarius would make a cracking NH sire?

20. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

Donn McClean on Racing Tv spent 20 minutes analyzing every horse before the 5.45 Galway..and then just before the off was asked with confidence after his thorough research who will win...his reply was "Will sit on the fence"!