1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Trump supporters breaching Capitol Hill in Washington DC

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by old lads fan, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Unbelievable Jeff

2. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

That's from a few years ago. I'm not going through the entire thing. The less words that escape his mouth/thumbs to hit my ears/eyes, the better

LAMackem likes this.
  3. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

I remember when the Supreme Court ruled that burning the American Flag was protected speech. The Louisiana State Legislature responded by passing a law setting the maximum fine for battering anyone burning, or attempting to burn the American Flag, at $1.

Democracy at its finest.

Saf likes this.
  4. Sandy Camel

Sandy Camel Well-Known Member

Really? So you know exactly what crimes every previous person who had a pardon was convicted of and none of them committed crimes worse than who Trump has given pardons to. Where have you got that information from as I'd be more than interested to see how Trump compares with previous presidents.

5. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Trump has pardoned former colleagues some for crimes against the state. One guilty of defrauding the state of millions and just happened to be former chief advisor.. Nothing like this has happened before.

6. Sandy Camel

Sandy Camel Well-Known Member

Total nonsense marra.

"Bill Clinton’s pardon for his half-brother Roger, who was convicted on drug charges, Clinton’s controversial pardon of donor Marc Rich, who had been convicted of tax fraud (Rich’s ex-wife was a mega-donor to the Democratic Party), George W. Bush’s pardon of Lewis “Scooter” Libby, the former chief-of-staff to Vice President Dick Cheney who had been convicted of perjury and obstruction for lying about the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame....

....we would argue that the all-time worst presidential pardon ever was granted by George H.W. Bush to former secretary of defense Caspar Weinberger. Weinberger was about to face trial in the Iran-Contra scandal of the Reagan administration, where Bush had served as Reagan’s vice president. Part of the case against Weinberger involved the use of entries from his diary relating to the making of decisions that led to illegal activity in both Iran (selling arms to terrorists) and with the Contras (illegally funding a rebellion against the government of Nicaragua). Vice President Bush had already testified under oath that he had no knowledge of these activities, but Weinberger’s diaries said otherwise. They contained material that deeply implicated Bush in the decisions, and could have been used to put the former VP on trial for perjury. On Christmas Eve 1992 (Christmas eve is a very popular time for Presidents to issue pardons – for obvious reasons), Bush granted Weinberger a pardon. Thus, in pardoning Weinberger, Bush was able to keep is activities secret, and in effect give himself a pardon. Was this the first presidential self-pardon? In a way, yes.

https://billmoyers.com/story/worst-pardon-ever-youll-be-surprised/

As one-third of the folk rock group "Peter, Paul, and Mary," Peter Yarrow was a leading figure in the protest and music scene of the 1960s. But he fell from grace in 1970 when he was convicted of behaving indecently with a 14-year-old fan. Yarrow was sentenced to three months in jail, but on his last day in office, Carter issued a pardon for the musician.

Steinbrenner, the loud-mouthed owner of the New York Yankees, was convicted in 1974 on 14 criminal counts for making illegal financial contributions to Nixon's reelection campaign two years earlier. Steinbrenner pleaded guilty to the contributions, and to obstructing justice. He was forced to pay a $15,000 fine for his crimes. Though he never went to jail, Reagan issued him a pardon in 1989.

https://www.insider.com/list-of-mos...r-19-pardons-and-seven-commutations-so-far-11

But why let something as trivial as facts get in the way of some Trump bashing eh.

Saf likes this.
  7. MrRAWhite

Trump will surely be the first president to end up in prison for his actions. he has refused to accept the democratic process and has manipulated the ignorant into causing violence and death. Of course I will bash this utter disgusting excuse for a human being.

DH4 likes this.
  8. Dancingstripes

Dancingstripes Well-Known Member

So he should be in-prisoned for that? <laugh>

9. Dancingstripes

Trump was also the president who brought an end to the American soldiers being in the Middle East, an ongoing war that took millions of lives.

He was also the first president to open dialogue and meet with the leader of North Korea in peaceful fashion. He was rumoured to be put forward for the noble peace prize for those actions.

The 2 presidents before him, were involved with millions of deaths through war, including the war in Iraq that was started through lies and has completely destabilised and destroyed the region for many many years to come.

Those wars also caused the floods of millions of refugees that are now living in horrendous conditions in camps and streets around Europe.

But let’s forget all of that, and concentrate on nasty Donald.

Sandy Camel likes this.
  10. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

11. MrRAWhite

He has taken peace keeping troops out in order to destabilise the area for Biden coming in. He has achieved nothing with North Korea. He has reduced the USA's obligation to NATO which has undoubtedly emboldened Russia and China in the continued expansion and influence in many parts of the world. He pulled out of the global climate change agreement and actively worked against renewable energy sources in the USA. Thankfully the USA now has a sane decent human being that will address these issues and also take the covid crisis seriously. The sooner that Trump is in prison where he undoubtedly belongs the better.

12. Disco down under

That's a bit of a stretch.

Pretty sure any charges will come down to his tax affairs and business dealings.

Let's not pretend any of us on here have a great grasp on that.

13. Dancingstripes

So what’s your views on the previous 2 presidents?

Do you think they require jail time?

14. FTM Dave

FTM Dave Well-Known Member

Really interested on what you think Hefty about Trump & the election.

You'll have seen loads of our domestic political arguments on the forum!

I'm very much on the left, but however much I detest the Tory Party & Boris Johnson, were they to lose the next election, there is no way I could imagine the Tories saying they had secretly won, that the returning officers were all corrupt, etc. They would accept their defeat. If there were a hung parliament there would be some horse trading, that's about it.

This nonsense by Trump of refusing to accept defeat and accusing the world of corruption is insanity IMO. None of this from Clinton H, Romney, McCain, Kerry, etc.

15. MrRAWhite

Obama was a fantastic president, right up with the best in history. I wasn't so stuck on George W, but way better than Trump. For the record, I do not blame Bush for attacking Saddam's Iraq after he had continually threatened the west and had denied weapons inspectors access to many areas. Saddam had already exterminated about 125,000 of his own people, many with the use of chemical weapons.

16. Disco down under

I wholeheartedly disagree with the bit about Obama.

I really like the guy, but I'd put him down as a near enough useless president. A lot of it was out of his control, but that doesn't change that he was ineffective.

He represented amazing progress in the fact that a black politician got voted in, and that was brilliant in itself but it was about the only lasting success he will be remembered for.

Everything I've seen about his legacy is that he couldn't get his administration working in a horrendously partisan system.

And his administration left the American public willing to vote in the orange devil clown. That's a huge failing on his part to my mind.

17. Dancingstripes

Since the invasion of Iraq in 2003, over 3 million Iraqi civilians have been killed, and millions have evacuated their country and are in squalid conditions around the world.

1000s of British and American soldiers have also been killed.

The war was started through lies of George Bush and his administration.

In your own words, your not so stuck on George W, despite him starting one of the most terrible wars we’ve ever seen.

You have deep hatred for Trump, the president that ended wars and met peacefully with N Korea.

But your not too fussed about previous presidents responsible for war causing millions of deaths.

Can I ask, If George W caused millions of deaths in the UK, would you still be ok with his stint in the White House?

farnboromackem likes this.
  18. Dancingstripes

Do you mean the same kind of tax investigation that’s currently looking into Joe Bidens son?

19. MrRAWhite

Trump has paid next to no income tax for years. That is a fact..

20. MrRAWhite

These are the true figures and nothing like the figures you are quoting and nothing like the figures would have been if saddam had been allowed to continue is slaughter of the Kurdish people.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/269729/documented-civilian-deaths-in-iraq-war-since-2003/