1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Troy Deeney - honestly outspoken or liability?

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Hornette_TID, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

In my refereeing "career" I made absolutely certain that everyone got a clean slate at the start of the match, even if they had promised to "see you next Tuesday" earlier in the season. I was popular with the players, managers and league secretaries, quite unpopular with "the blazers" at County because my attitude was always to be there to help the players play the best game they could. Plus I played into my late 30's, combining Saturday playing (up to County standard "Step 7", a couple of games slightly higher "Step 5" which were a bit beyond my fitness levels) and Sunday refereeing.
    It's the "I am the great I am" attitude, particularly of senior colleagues, that sticks in my craw. "They can't have a game without us" they crow... which is flat out wrong: they can't have a good competitive game without us, but let's see you running around a pitch blowing your whistle without them and how long you last before being taken away by the men in the white coats!
    Mike Dean has this abominable attitude in spades. Plenty of others do too. Annoying, and it is the main reason I vent my spleen so vehemently at matches.

andytoprankin likes this.
  2. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

I would say since the Palace game I don't think any of our players have done a bad tackle or aimed to injure anyone - and we've faced a number of players just as good or better than Zaha!

I suspect Deeney just meant we targeted Zaha and not someone each game but the conversation onto generally targeting players.

Wonder what tactics Bournemouth employ - not afraid to take a tumble or two themselves of course!

Did notice Troy got booked at the weekend...

Like Fez says - it probably depends on what the ref is like - do they hold a grudge or feel the pressure from what has gone on before which affects their performance or just start afresh?

The former is why the likes of Jose and Wenger when he was at Arsenal used to take part in mind games with the officials - to get into their heads.

3. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine for one moment that TD9's comments were a surprise to anyone who plays,coaches or referees the game professionally. What is a surprise is to hear honesty and clarity and not the bland inconsequential twaddle we get from almost everyone else in the game talking to the meejah. . In fact some of the meejah could do with being a bit more honest. (For example, predicting liddypool not to lose for about 3 years).

4. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Craig Shakespeare? :emoticon-0145-shake

canary-dave likes this.